Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gifts for Extended family?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2011 1:49:46 PM PST
C. McCain says:
Does anyone have suggestions for gifts for extended family? I'm not wanting to buy separate gifts for all of my brother-in-laws and their wives, but gifts that hopefully they can use together and as a family.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 3:24:44 PM PST
GW™ says:
THESE are fun for a family gathering.
There are cheaper sets if you think these are too pricey.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:44:20 PM PST
Joyce Tudyk says:
Gifts for your sisters, their husbands and children?
Restaurant gift cards make great family gifts.

I remember my Aunt & Uncle would bring homemade candy & cookies, a bag of oranges, nuts in shell like walnuts & pecans or a big bag of mixed nuts and a new nutcracker.

Get crafty and make something with your own hands that you can personalize for each family and give a special gift. It's the thought that counts.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 10:34:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 10:35:08 PM PST
C. McCain says:
They're my husbands brothers and their wives. :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:11:55 AM PST
Book Lover says:
Gift together: (1) experience gift certificates to someplace like local mini golf, bumper car place, batting cage, or even lessons like golf or horseback riding (price important here!), (2) welcome mat for door with their name, (3) new sign w/ or w/o numbers for front of the house like "Andersons, Est. 2011", (4) tickets to local affordable games like Triple A league baseball, or AHL hockey games, etc. that could be less than $75 for a family of four, (5) like Smity (another poster) said about aunt & uncle, try to find something in your area that is famous or great and send to them (Vermont/New York maple syrup; Florida oranges; Virginia ham; Texas/NC/SC BBQ, famous bakery in area, etc.), easy for you to know and you are supporting local business, or (6) personalized Christmas stockings for whole family. Just some suggestions.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 8:20:29 PM PST
Joe Gump says:
A fountain. Everyone loves the sound. Amazon has at least one hundred. Indoors. Expensive. Wall fountains. Free standing. Table fountains. Cheap. Outdoors. You get the idea. Just send it to every member of the family by name. They will think of you everytime they hear it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:45:54 PM PST
Dante says:
Yes I just bought a really unique espresso pot from Botzpots. Seach botzpots in home and kitchen, look at the America. Brews coffee in cups on the stove. Really unique and cute and very art deco. Love it, great idea for anyone who loves coffee or espresso martini's.
A really fun product.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 11:41:27 AM PST
Melinda says:
Food really is good to give as a family gift. As someone else mentioned, fruit, nuts, cookies, etc. Also, though, (depending on your budget) consider an of-the-month club. They even have "steaks of the month" and things like that. The whole family can enjoy the treat and it lasts the whole year long!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 6:54:43 PM PST
NaniOfSix says:
What about a gift card for the movie theatre....or movie rentals stores. Wrap it up with a box of microwave popcorn and movie sized candy you can get at walmart or cvs

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 10:49:05 AM PST
OneMtnGirl says:
One of the things I do occasionally for extended family members for Christmas is to buy a colorful tin with a lid (Joann's usually has many to chose from) and put different kinds of cookies, brownies or single servings of whatever they may like to eat. There are times when I feel more energetic than others and actually bake up Tollhouse Cookies, Banana Nut Bread, or Zucinni Bread and the low energy times I just head to the bakery section of Vons or whatever store has a nice bakery section. Just a suggestion and it is actually easier and cheaper than traveling all over town to try and find something for someone (+) that usually has everything they want or need, or that I don't know very well (even though we are related).

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 11:35:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2013 10:30:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 8:21:41 PM PST
Pen says:
I put together goodie baskets or tins for my sisters and their husbands/kids every christmas- home-made cookies, easy-to-make candies (peppermint or turtle bark), flavored cocoa mix (I make this myself, too- plain hot cocoa mixed with flavored powdered creamer). They're easy to do, and for less than $100 total, I've got nice Christmas gifts for 18 people!

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:21:06 AM PST
J. Dalton says:
last year I bought church cook books for all of my family. The southern churches really outdo themselves when it comes to cooking. the family continues to enjoy the recipies to this day and are always telling me which ones they've tried and how good they are... haven't had a negative comment yet. The church I bought them from is still selling them. They are $10.00 each "First Baptist Church of Philadelphia, TN" let me know if you're interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 2:22:57 PM PST
If they are into sports, I would get them a personalized jersey necklace (available for many teams) personalized with their Name and Number
Dallas Cowboys Jersey Necklace Personalized with Your Name and Number

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 3:39:04 PM PST
Monzie says:
I always buy my sister-in-law a "date night" gift...a gift card for the movies and another one for dinner someplace basic like Olive Garden. For my out-of-town extended family, I like to make gift baskets using local goodies...jam, chocolates, cheeses, sausage. Of course, I live in Wisconsin and we have an abundance of yummy craft-made foods to choose from but, regardless of where you live, there are probably a few local specialties that would impress people from other parts of the country. If not, you can make a nice "themed" basket with a box of imported pasta, jar of pesto, bottle of olive oil, and some pasta tongs or a cheese rasp, all tucked into a big colander with a red-checked towel and maybe a bottle of wine....

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 9:19:15 PM PST
Keri D. says:
A lot of people are posting along the same lines, but I'll add to it anyway. I've done Gift Baskets for "family nights." Buy throws/blankets (all stores have them wrapped in little bundles this time of year and at great prices). Add some gourmet hot chocolate mixes (or make your own and jar them up--there are a lot of recipes online). If there are small kids in each family, you can include PJs for each of them (again, cheap enough at a Wal-Mart). Then add a board game, or a movie rental gift card, basically anything that would give them a family night together. Include popcorn / gift cards for pizza places, basically anything that works for a dinner-in, plus snacks. If the house has a fireplace, put a fake log in there too. If they have dogs, add a rawhide or two to keep the dog busy. You get the idea. This is great for you, because the shopping is easy--most of the effort is to put it all in a cute basket presentation. For them, it works for the whole family and it's a great way for them to slow down after the holidays and just hang out quietly together.

One other idea (if you're able and it would work out with the ages of all the kids) would be to give the adults gift cards to restaurants and then announce that everyone pick a date for you to have a sleepover at your house with all the cousins with games and movies, giving all the parents a night off with a dinner out.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:44:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2011 7:47:32 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:46:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 7:47:18 PM PST
Brandi says:
Buy each kid a $5 DVD and order a personalized popcorn bowl for the parents to open - call it a Movie Night package.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 7:02:09 AM PST
D. C. Potts says:
My family has a hot-cocoa recipe that's been around for multiple generations. Hershey's cocoa powder (its "dutch processed), powdered creamer, powdered sugar. It's meant to be added to milk, but powdered milk can be added for a "just-add-water" mix. The mix can be tailored with more cocoa powder for dark chocolate lovers, or natural (non-alkalized) cocoa powder can be used for more of a "Mexican" hot cocoa. You can source various organic/gourmet cocoa/cacao powders from different locales. You can get creative with different types of cinnamon (penzey's has a wide selection), ground vanilla beans from Madagascar or Mexico, peppermint oil, or ground/crushed candy canes. Add a little (or a lot) quality instant coffee, or instant espresso (Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso, or Cafe Bustelo Instant Espresso are both quality) for a mocha mix. You can make it as complex, or simple as you wish. Tailored for the recipient, or just general yummy hot cocoa. Limited only by your imagination.
Present in decorative tin, or other container of your choice- another place you can choose to spend a dollar or two, up to hundreds for fancy crystal. A couple of microwave safe mugs from the dollar store, or fancy ceramic "this is not a paper cup" cups added.
It's always been a hit, both when received by me, or presented by me.
Along similar lines, if you have a coffee roaster locally, a freshly roasted lb. of whole good coffee beans (I'm a fan of S.American light/med roast, often blended & balanced as the house "breakfast blend", or African/Arab beans), and a cheap grinder if the recipient doesn't have a grinder. Cheap grinders aren't the preference for connoisseurs, but if they don't have a grinder they aren't coffee snobs yet, and a cheap grinder (~$10-15) and fresh ground beans is much better than pre-ground coffee. A small inexpensive French Press coffee maker can be added for another $10-20. Just add or subtract items as finances, or degree of affability towards the person/group warrants :)
Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 6:17:02 PM PST
Dawn Marie says:
I love Amazon's gift card options (not an advertisement, I swear!) I was able to choose a monetary amount, send with a cute card and personal message with FREE shipping..even next day! As you know, Amazon has it ALL..for everyone! Have them set up wish lists for next year..<3 Amazon for birthdays, holidays etc.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:13:03 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 2:23:41 PM PDT
please call amazon and remove your name as well as the names of your husband and your children from this public posting. If you feel your account has been compromised here, a friendly request to
a thief will not allow that person to suddenly see the error of his ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 11:20:00 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:25:02 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:41:15 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
Jenna 7918 1 minute ago
The OFFICIAL Bittersweet Thread 1028 9 minutes ago
YELL!!!! 1797 25 minutes ago
The last film you watched thread. 331 33 minutes ago
Top Five Best Books I'll Never Read Again 43 3 hours ago
What are you reading now? 524 10 hours ago
Best used book find 80 12 hours ago
In danger of being forgotten? 254 17 hours ago

ARRAY(0xd9ddfd10)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions