Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

need idea for 8 yo and 10 yo brothers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 4:25:23 AM PST
Josh says:
So my nephews (8 yo and 10yo) are usually stuck on their ipods watching youtube videos or playing Minecraft on the pc. I'd like to get them something to get them somewhat physically active, or at the very least outdoors.

So far i've only come across an arcade basketball machine, a dartboard, some lazertag systems, but these are really not preferred.

Any ideas? (less than $200)

Appreciate any help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:54:14 AM PST
Oregongirl says:
A basketball and net, soccer game, volleyball and net, a rock tumbler w/pick for digging & book of rocks, inflatable raft for water, tube for snow, (REI has a nice one with handles 35.00) insect lore has some cool science kits. Spud guns are cool too and fairly safe. They'll be the coolest boys in the neighborhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:59:04 PM PST
M. schowe says:
I got my 11 and 12 year old electronic addicts a nice quality tetherball set for outside. It cost around $70 from hearthsong and had great reviews. I know that their school got rid of their set after losing the ball, and remember fondly playing this outside game during recess back in the day. Hopefully it gets them off their rear ends and outside. I figure we will secure it in the ground and they can play year round, even with snow. Don't know if it gets freezing where you live, but I also considered the inflatable ice rink from hearthsong (believe it was about $50). Looked like a big inflatable pool that you add water to and then it freezes and is a mini ice rink. I know that Stanley came out with a new industrial flash light that is water proof and drop proof that I think the kids would love to use in the lake, if yours like swimming. I know the outdoor DVD movie projector was a big hit a couple years ago and it would probably be under $200 range. Also hand held video cameras (like the old school flip cameras) were a hit, although still electronic. Fishing stuff, telescope, camp gear, head lamps from outdoor stores (cheap and so many uses), air popcorn maker, nerf stuff, bean bag chairs, the clapper (both boys and 10 year old niece asked for this for their rooms) Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:15:31 PM PST
Barbara says:
What about a light up Frisbee, or a badminton set ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:18:32 PM PST
Barbara says:
I like your idea of a tether ball. It's a fun game for two brothers and not everyone has one.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:31:19 AM PST
JCB1 says:
How about digital cameras? My nephews got excited about taking pictures, and their mom would post them on Facebook. They were pretty creative.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:55:10 AM PST
Subscription to National Geographic for Kids (includes games, crafts, etc.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions