Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Birthday Gift for 10 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2009 9:24:33 PM PST
Armeen Ali says:
I babysit two girls, who are 6 and 9. Both there birthdays are in the same week. I bought the 6 year old two little miss (giggles, chatterbox) t-shirts cause she loves the books. Fortunately I found them new on ebay for a deal. I'm stumped on the 9 year old whos turning 10. She's a girly girl, and loves clothing (like justice). But i'm on a budget, and I was hoping for something within $15. Except everything at stores like that even one shirt was no less than 20. Any ideas? She has a ninentendo DS, are there any cheap games?

Thanks everyone!

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 4:49:23 AM PST
A Customer says:
Try getting her a webkinz! All 10 year olds love those things

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 4:49:29 AM PST
A Customer says:
Try getting her a webkinz! All 10 year olds love those things

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 2:48:08 PM PST
Aviva Lynne says:
At 10 she might like fashion paperdolls...search on Amazon in books...I think Dover is the publisher...you can find paperdolls from any era...1950s...1960s...1970s..1980s...Renaissance...19th century, etc....or go to your local bookstore and in their bargain section you might find a fashion book reduced to your price range...It can be a lot of fun at that age to see how fashion has changed over time...

Or go to a craft store and look for the jewelry craft kits...making bracelets or earrings would be a lot of fun for her. Or at that age getting some girly type stamps and inkpads would also be fun for her to personalize her books and binders.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 6:01:25 PM PST
C Siegel says:
All girls that age love the gift certificates and $15 at Justice is just perfect!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 9:58:46 PM PST
N. Hollada says:
How about a DS accessory? like a cool case or a set of bright pink stylus'? I have a foamy pink case that I got from dealextreme.com (can I do that?) for super cheap and its really cute. If you have enough time for it to come from Hon Kong that is....

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 11:05:32 AM PST
Does she have pierced ears? If she does, a store like Claire's or Icing usually has multiple sets of earrings (studs) on one card that are inexpensive. My mom did that for my 10 year old god-sister and she absolutely loved it. Or you could give a giftcard to one of those stores to pick out her own earrings or whatever she wants. Someone else said a jewelry making kit and that would definitely be a lot of fun. Go to Toys R Us and look for one, if I remember correctly, they have some cute "girly girl" stuff that's not very expensive.

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 1:40:41 PM PST
How about an electronic gadget? Like an ipod shuffle. Or if she already has an ipod, get her an itunes gift card. Lip gloss would be great too. It's makeup, but not too mature for her age. Hair accessories or earrings are a good idea too.

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 6:03:22 PM PST
Say no to fashion presents! art supplies? musical instruments?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2009 3:16:29 PM PST
Marion Scott says:
shop on amazon for anything inexpensive. you'll be surprised how many things you can get. i went to target and got a bunch of stuff along with two things i sewed for a 10 year old who is a family friend. she just had her birthday and she loved her gifts. i made her two pillows for her room and they weren't expensive at all. as long as you know how to sew. the things i bought at target was a pink basket; washcloth set of mini shower gel, loofa sponge, lotion; 2 body butters; 3 candles and some stickers and a notepad. all of it cost me about $13. you'll be amazed at how much you can buy when you're really looking for it.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 6:23:04 PM PST
Definitly Webkinz.

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 9:02:14 PM PST
Armeen Ali says:
thank you everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 8:48:49 AM PST
Buy a gift certificate to one of the following stores:
Justice, Limited Too (has a different name in some states), Claire's (a fashion accessory store), Old Navy, or Walmart.

If you don't know what stores she likes, then I would suggest a VISA gift card that she can use as a credit card at any store she wants. Also, popular malls such as Westfield (and many other names) sell gift certificates at their information booths that are good at ANY store in the mall, that may be the way to go, if you are not sure what stores she likes. ITunes is also a popular choice for kids this age, especially if they already have an IPOD or MP3 Player.

As for Nintendo DS games, there are a couple places to find them on sale: Sears (check the bargain and sale bins near the electronics department which will require some digging thru the bins) as well as Amazon (check the outlet center). You can also try Sears.com I was able to get a popular Nintendo DS game there for under $15 that an 11 year old I used to babysit for asked for. However, if the ten year old is like most Nintendo DS owners, she probably has a list of games that she wants and a list of games that she would "never want" so it might be difficult to find a game that you know she will like.

Another thought on Nintendo DS, Toys R Us and Walmart, both online and in the stores have a wide variety of accessories, everything from cool cases to fun girly stylus', you might consider picking her up a couple matching accessories for her Nintendo DS instead of a game.

If she is into girly girl stuff, she may enjoy a craft kit such as a make your own jewelry kit, glitter tattoo kit, make your own stuffed animal kit, or hair beaded braiding kit that you can purchase at Walmart, Michaels and similar craft stores, or Toys R Us. Something like an Easy Bake Oven, a My Cupcake Maker, or a Little Loveables stuffed animal machine could be purchased online affordably and would also be a big hit with a child this age. I was able to pick up a Little Loveables machine not long ago on Target's website for $5. Another big hit with kids that age is fuse bead kits that require an iron to seal the projects, manicure kits that allow you to add glitter, nail polish, etc to fake and real nails, and similar kits.

If you have a Build A Bear store in your area, you might consider taking the child there and letting her make her own stuffed animal. They have bears, dolls, dinosaurs, just about everything you can imagine. There prices are a little more than $15 if you include clothing and accessories, but it's something that any child that age would love. Also, if you don't have the store near you, you can go on Amazon and purchase a Make Your Own Stuffed Animal Kit, they are a similar theme to Build A Bear, only less expensive, and the child gets to make the stuffed animal at home.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:43:12 PM PDT
Quisha says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 6:21:49 PM PDT
I have granddaughters in this age group. They love books. Just check the Amazon best-seller list for her reading age.

I also got these reading timer/bookmarks for all my grade-school-age kids (very cool):
Mark-My-Time Digital Bookmark- Neon Pink

and these book lights were a big hit:
Xtraflex2 Led Book Light, Pink

For summer adventures I got them binoculars which were Big Fun:
Bushnell Powerview 8x21 Compact Folding Roof Prism Binocular (Black)

The kids of both genders and all ages love the Perplexus toys:
Perplexus Original Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc.

The girls like friendship bracelet-making kits and flower presses (great in the summer),
And the best of all are baskets/boxes of personal care goodies like lip gloss, Herbal Essence Shampoos & Conditioner, body wash, new toothbrushes in pretty colors, etc. Just wander the aisle spend your dollar limit on good-smelling stuff just for her to use!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:49:48 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:37:57 PM PDT
Girls love TagTailz!!! www.tagtailz.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:22:03 AM PST
Brigitte says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 4:41:47 PM PDT
RAS says:

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 3:06:29 PM PDT
thanks for officially making me feel old. apparently magazine subscriptions are now all 'online' and people don't receive them in the mail anymore... :/

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 5:18:55 AM PDT
I just would like to send a gift for my grand daughter who is more than 8 years old and I've chosen Cinderella costume and I'd like to
choosde the correct size. Can you help now?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 10:49:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2013 10:53:13 PM PDT
We would all like to assist you (well most of us would) but please keep in mind that by posting here, you are only talking to other customers...and we will only offer opinions. We can't do that very well without a bit more to go on. Is there any chance that you can share a link with us regarding the Cinderella costume that you have selected? IF you can't (or even if you can) you might feel more comfortable calling Amazon directly to get assistance with placing your order if your daughter (or son) are unavailable to give you more information regarding her size.

If you have to guess, but really aren't sure, go for a size larger especially if it is for Halloween. A larger size won't be anything that a few safety pins can't fix and it will allow her to play with it for a few months longer while she grows into it. Many of those costumes for that occasion (even the Disney ones) are very cheaply made and are quite thin. In a large majority of the USA it will be cool enough for her to wear something underneath the outfit if she is going outside. A larger size would allow for a sweatshirt or other warmer clothing without constriction. I am sure that whatever you decide your granddaughter will be pleased.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions