Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Anonymous gift?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2010 9:42:22 PM PDT
Rebekah says:
When you send something as a gift, is it anonymous or is your name on the packing slip? I know prices and whatnot aren't listed if you indicate the product is a gift, but what about the buyer's name? I want to send a gift, but I don't want the person to know it was me who sent it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 4:44:33 PM PDT
cant send anonymous gifts, name will be on slip.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 10:11:59 PM PDT
Bless Yahweh says:
This would be so nice to be able to send an anonymous gift.

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 12:24:11 AM PDT
get it shipped to you then put joe smith on the return address through post office a little more in shipping but wont know it was you

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 12:38:30 AM PDT
sounds creepy to be sending anonymous gifts....besides who'd want a box showing up with their name on it and no idea who its from

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 7:48:38 PM PDT
Portage Sour says:
Stupid question, but how do you actually get Amazon to send something to someone else as a gift? I can't figure that one out...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 5:38:13 AM PDT
Lizzie B says:
You can add names and addresses during the checkout process. Amazon will keep these on your options to "ship to" which is nice when you frequently ship to family. The next time you purchase something though, be sure that they are shipping to the address you choose.

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 2:24:10 AM PDT
A. Studer says:
"Spydy Loc says:
sounds creepy to be sending anonymous gifts....besides who'd want a box showing up with their name on it and no idea who its from "

If they were doing a Secret Santa kinda thing, it wouldn't necessarily be creepy. Also, a loved one with a grudge might not open a gift if they know it's from someone their mad at. If it's a great gift, it might soften their heart after seeing it.

I've never sent anonymous gifts through the mail, but I've participated in Secret Santa. I HAVE been tempted to send books on good leadership skills to a former aggravating boss. :) I managed to resist the urge since it probably would have just gotten me in trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 9:15:56 AM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 9:27:28 AM PDT
Rebekah says:
Someone is a little paranoid. Good God... It's for a gift exchange for crying out loud. Like an anonymous gift exchange. "Scaring" or "making the recipient feel uncomfortable" is the last thing on my mind, and I resent the implication that I'm a stalker.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 9:30:11 AM PDT
Rebekah says:
Thank you. I think you're only person who actually got what I'm trying to do. Although it isn't for Christmas, I'm trying to send a gift for something similar to a Secret Santa exchange. Hence the reason for wanting it to be anonymous.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 2:47:19 PM PST
K. A. Neary says:
There are also people who want to give to others out of kindness and don't want to be acknowledged for the deed, or want to help when they know the recipient might be uncomfortable accepting "charity" when they can not afford it. I would like to send something to an acquaintance who has no idea who I am because I heard her speak at our church and she mentioned something she had loved as a child. I was very touched by her talk and would like to "pay it forward" with a gift, but out of kindness, not for recognition...

AND, I think it would be creepier to send a gift WITH my name on it since she doesn't know me even if I was thanking her. One can always add a thoughtful note without signing that makes it clear that it is not a weird gift, but one from the heart...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 7:54:55 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 9:18:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 9:21:15 PM PST
I think that this is a lovely idea. I bet if you give the gift to her via the pastor she will still love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 9:49:50 PM PST
spookiewon says:
Well, you ship it to their address rather than yours. There's a box to check that tells them it's a gift so the prices aren't on the invoice.

You can't do it anonymously, for what I think are obvious reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 9:55:26 PM PST
spookiewon says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 9:15:45 AM PDT
I would....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 9:17:59 AM PDT
no good deed goes unpunished....kudos to you for thinking of others...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:04:35 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:05:30 AM PDT

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:15:50 PM PDT
C. Caldwell says:
I wondered about this, too. It would be coming from amazon, after all, so it would have amazon as the sender on the return label anyway. There's no reason amazon couldn't provide an option to not show the sender's information on the invoice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 5:18:34 PM PDT
C. Caldwell says:
K.A. - You might just write her a thank you note, rather than a gift? I know it's not the same thing, but as a teacher I always loved a note from a student.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:14:23 PM PDT
Terry C. says:

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:44:49 PM PDT
Rever.. says:

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:23:21 AM PDT
Lanny says:
The grinchy, "stalker" accusations on this thread make me grieve for the human condition.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

ARRAY(0x9f9738c4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2010
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions