Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Amazon Wishlists Ruin Christmas

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 12:19:00 AM PST
B. Swafford says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:43:47 AM PST
So, you create a list of things for people to get you, people get you the things on your list (that you created) and you're upset about the lack of surprise?

I can totally understand how someone buying something off a list can be a complete buzzkill since getting something off of a list of items you created can totally ruin the surprise aspect of receiving something from a list of items that you created...

I'm sorry.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:03:25 AM PST
FlyingAce says:
In my family, the rule is don't buy anything for yourself from your wishlist from Thanksgiving to Christmas. That way no surprises are spoiled, and you don't run the risk of buying yourself something and then getting it for Christmas.

Also, Christmas should not be ruined just because you know what someone is giving you. Christmas shouldn't be about the materialism, it should be about celebrating family, being together, and appreciating what you have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:33:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 8:39:31 AM PST
B. Swafford says:
No, I am not upset that people purchased items off my wish list, that would be ridiculous. I am upset that Amazon has a popup window that tells me an item from my list was purchased when I merely click on the item to look at the product page. I could sort of understand a popup warning me someone might have already purchased it if I had it in my cart and was about to checkout. I also have the box checked in Amazon that says not to ruin surprises. If I didn't have that checked I could just look at my wishlist and immediately see extremely clearly which items were purchased without clicking anything. This is a new feature that I don't see much value for in the way that they implemented it.

Also, I am very much aware the joy of Christmas is not the gifts. I chose this title because it is attention grabbing. If does definitely ruin Christmas gifts though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:15:05 PM PST
No clue as to why this would 'ruin' your Christmas. If you're old enough to be shopping on Amazon you are old enough to understand that we ruin Christmas ourselves. Christmas has to do with giving, not getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:03:09 PM PST
Donna says:
I appreciate your information here. I had no idea that people could tell what has been purchased from their wishlists. I would rather they be surprised on Christmas, not know ahead of time. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:36:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:37:11 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:29:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:34:56 AM PST
gpete says:
Tip to those shopping a wishlist... Purchase from a different window and alert anyone else who may be shopping the list that you've purchased an item. No fun to be scooped in your gift giving.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions