Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Looking for gift ideas for 12 year old niece. Thanks!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2010 7:16:35 AM PDT
I am looking for Christmas gift ideas for my 12 year old niece. Thanks for any ideas. She is home- schooled, doesn't participate in sports and doesn't take music or dance lessons. She is a very sweet girl.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 7:31:24 AM PDT
American Girls books. Crafts. A locket. A bracelet. A day out with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 7:59:21 AM PDT
Aviva Lynne says:
While she doesn't take dance lessons, she might still enjoy tickets to a local production of "The Nutcracker" or a DVD of it.
My one great niece who is now 12 a couple of years ago wanted a musical snow globe so that is now our annual tradition. Each year I buy her another musical snow globe to add to her collection. Is there something else your niece would like to collect or has shown an interest in?
Crafts are a great way to go. For that age I can recommend stamping. You can get her some rubber stamps, inks, and blank greeting cards. You can purchase different holiday greeting stamps and "thank you", etc. stamps so she is always prepared to make her own cards. If she really enjoys doing this you can purchase more stamps and inks for her birthday or next Christmas.
A great jewelry box is good if she doesn't have one; if you can afford it the one's that have legs and are like another piece of furniture in her room are excellent and will be something she can use the rest of her life.
There are a lot of great watches out there; many are designed to be fashion accessories.
One good way to find out the things she likes and dislikes is to give her several catalogs and together go through them pointing out the things you and she like and dislike. In my family we usually have everyone mark up catalogs. No one is promised anything from a catalog but doing this over the years has lead to all of us having a really good idea of each other's tastes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 12:54:08 PM PDT
Roben says:
A beginners sewing machine with an instuctional dvd.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 1:21:40 PM PDT
H. Harris says:
I like the crafts idea. I had a make-your-own jewelry kit with hemp and beads at that age and spent hours and hours making jewelry, plant hangers, picture frames, etc. Also, she can make gifts for her family and friends as opposed to having to buy something.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 2:41:46 PM PDT
D. clapper says:
My niece will be 12 on christmas eve and is always on the go with friends and her parents. I picked up a Disney Mix Max Plus on ebay for about $14 on our favorite auction site and added a 4 gb sd card. I also plan on downloading the magic DVD ripper on her net book for her to teach her how to load her own movies. I have already opened it and loaded it with her favorite music, photos and a few movies for her to use on Christmas Day. I thought it would be nice for her to have something to take with her while on the go to keep her entertained that would fit in her pocket.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 6:57:43 PM PDT
Cynicalbit says:
She's getting to the age where she can take care of and respect jewelry. How about a ring or necklace of her birthstone. Also, my daughter (14) is a bookworm and most of her Christmas list consists of books she wants to add to her collection. Also, an Itunes gift card or mp3 player. There are several less expensive brands. It all depends on how much you plan to spend.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 7:43:48 PM PDT
Thanks so much for the great ideas! I had some of these in mind but wanted extra opinions to make sure I wasn't thinking off-base :-) I only get to see my niece once or maybe twice a year, so it's hard to know what she has or wants. I have bought a cute/fun bracelet, and I think I will go to Michael's crafts and pick up a craft kit and then probably a little Itunes card.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 7:44:43 PM PDT
My soon to be 8 yr old want this so bad :-) Thanks!

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 6:27:56 AM PST
a reviewer says:
She might enjoy a classic disney movie (such as Snow White, The Little Mermaid, ECT)

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 9:17:18 AM PST
She might like a Treefie. They are stuffed toys with the environmental twist that a tree each planted with each one. She can go online and download her personalized certificate for having planted the tree and access some entertainment and educational features. Treefies are becoming hot as a Xmas gift this season.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 9:28:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 9:31:21 AM PST
Branden says:
I have a niece and nephew as well; Margaret who's two and Austin who's seven. I don't get to see them very often either.

1. If she has a video game system, you could always get her a dance or karaoke game to go with it. I know kids love to have them and they are fun for all ages. It would give her something to do with you plus her friends. You can get a used game from GameStop or maybe here on Amazon.com for $20.00 or less.
2. The bracelet necklace kits are something I always remember young girls liked.
3. If she likes to draw, get her a learners kit that will help her progress in a talent. Or simply some drawing books (not coloring books for young children 'lol'). That ability could be something she could use later on.
4. A kid/teen cookbook, but appropriate for her age. lol That would be something she'd enjoy doing with her mother, father, or you. I myself learned how to cook as a young man. :p
5. Trip to the zoo, space facility, natural attractions (ex. Grand Canyon), local event, and etc... Just make it is not a boring destination for a child. Animals can spark imagination...

Anyway, those are a few things. :p

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 5:02:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 5:10:05 PM PST
T. Price says:
My tween would find the above suggestions a little dull. You could go many ways, ask yourself if you want to be a cool aunt or just a so so average aunt!! As a mother of a tween, anything with a peace sign, wall art is the biggest. A year subscription to J-14, Discovery Girls ect. Her favorite pop star cut out, they are mega big with our crowd and are reasonable priced. Blacklights and the posters are making a come back. Neon sign in a shape of a butterfly, neon lit heart or tv mirrors are really neat. All these ideas can be found for under $50.00. Good luck blacklightdotcom/bedbathandbeyond/cardboardcutoutsdotcom/windycitynoveltiesdotcom Good Luck

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 8:37:58 AM PST
Jennifer B. says:
I have to agree with T. Price

Tweens, at least the ones I know, are more interested in really girly trendy stuff. Jewelry kits are just not gonna do it.

Go for a magazine subsription to a hip magazine, buy her a gift certificate to the Mall or the movie theatre, or treat her and her girlfriends to a spa day. An iPod is good if you can afford it. You could also give her a gift certificate to potterybarnteen.com and let her pick out some cool new decorations for her room.

I really would avoid things like jewelry, crafts, or kits to make things. Kids have very definite tastes on jewelry and the last thing you want to do is give her something she'll stick in a drawer and forget about.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 12:05:56 PM PST
Eager Reader says:
Some home-schooled children love to read, often with reading level beyond their in-school peers. Depending upon ability, she might like the Nancy Drew series (I suggest finding the old original versions through Amazon sellers, with their charming original details and vocabulary), or something more challenging like Jane Austen novels. Though Jane Austen is a tad advanced for that age group, you could include hardcover book/s and PBS or BBC dvd versions of the same work/s. Keep in mind that video formats come and go, but a well-bound book can potentially last almost forever.

My other suggestion would be a first piece of good jewelry, precious metal and genuine stones if any, but not "over the top" in case it is lost. At that age, I was given a strand of cultured pearls. A half century later, that favorite uncle is sadly gone, but I still have his lovely gift. If you want something reasonable, Amazon has lovely little topaz butterflies for about $15; the butterfly symbol is always wonderful, but especially "in" now. Of course a religious-symbol pendant, like a simple gold cross, can be enjoyed for a lifetime, reinforcing faith and treasured values.

A choice for a girl of 12 could well be a lasting gift, something for which you will be remembered. Or it could be trendy and fleeting, perhaps preferred now, but of no value after the novelty wears off. This is my opinion as a traditionalist, perhaps an old fuddy-duddy, but one who taught for about 35 years, mainly at the high school level.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 9:02:01 AM PST
When in doubt I get my kids gift cards to Borders. This way they can go to the store, physically touch the books, new games, movies, music etc..
While I personally love Amazon, there are times where a trip to the book store and walking out with something in your hand is just what is needed.

I have family and neighbors buy my kids these gift cards for the past couple of years and they are really appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2010 10:48:05 PM PST
Carrie O. says:
I second the "day out with Auntie" suggestion. I've done these with my nieces & great niece for years. The nieces are now 22 & 21 and the great niece is 16. :) They loved having an adult they could talk to that wasn't a teacher/parent.

Things they loved - dinner and a movie of their choosing. Doesn't have to be fancy, just fun. A trip to get a manicure and then an activity of their choosing. We did everything; bowling, movies, shopping. Heck, they even liked going downtown to just look at all the window dressings. If you have an ice rink in the area, that's always a fun winter outing.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 9:54:28 AM PST
summerdog says:
A 12 year old girl is feeling pretty grown up by then. Money is always good at this point. Make it creative....put it into one of those plastic maze gift boxes for her to puzzle it out..... fold it into origami shapes (directions on-line).....stick money into a book, a small stocking, tied to a stuffed animal. I'm sure that you can think of something creative and surprising.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 4:02:47 PM PST
Tracy says:
I have a rep as the cool aunt and I appreciate these "cool" suggestions!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 8:35:02 AM PST
D. Welch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 8:46:55 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:46:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2012 7:26:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 10:01:34 PM PST
Try a floating locket. She can expand upon is as she gets older and change the charms inside according to new interests. I got them for my little sister (she's four), my cousin (who is eight) and my mom, aunts, and grandparents (28-64) and they all loved it.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 4:08:33 AM PST
a jinni says:
could try- learning software LeapFrog FLY Fusion Ultimate Homework Pack'

or

family and friends DVD game(s)

Shout About TV Disc 2 Hasbro Shout About Movies#1 Shout About Movies, Volume 3 - DVD Party Game

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 7:59:35 AM PST
E. Griffin says:
My 12 year old daughter is into all kinds of fun and funky socks (especially toe socks) and peace sign clothing. Does she have a favorite animal? The pillow pets are a little young but for some reason, my daughter and her friends just love them. Does she listen to music? iTunes gift card? Like to read? Borders/Barnes & Noble gift cards?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions