Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift suggestion for my son's girlfriend (20 years old)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2011 2:18:01 PM PST
KTC says:
They have been dating about 8 months and she is very sweet. It looks like this will be a long term relationship so I would like to get something nice but not too expensive Im on a budget. I bought a necklace for her but it came in yesterday and was broken. I don't have time to order a new one. Since thay are away at college I have not had the honor of spending a lot of time with her to know what she likes.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 2:20:19 PM PST
Mark Wiitala says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 2:28:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 2:29:09 PM PST
I understand what you are saying Mark, but that is not what he/she asked. Therefore, might I suggest a gift card? It could be an amazon gift card or a random store. Or if you do not know where she shops than get a visa/master card gift card?

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 3:19:41 PM PST
KTC says:
Yeah, it's not a gift from him!! He actually got her a promise ring so...I just wanted to get her a little something and the necklace just happened to be a fabulous deal. We have spent time together ( birthdays, parents weekend, dinners etc) but not much one on one so I don't know all the small details you learn about what someone likes.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 4:59:42 PM PST
Susan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 5:36:47 PM PST
Julie B. says:
Pajamas are always a great gift for young ladies. Realitively inexpensive, and useful. Pink Hugs And Kisses 2 Piece Pajama SetCarrie Amber Heart Graffiti Hoody/Pant PJ SetsHere are a couple of good examples.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 5:42:50 PM PST
A small wristlet, perfume, scarf, bath/body set, etc.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 6:21:22 PM PST
Arolem says:
KTC, it's a lovely welcoming gesture and I'm sure she'll appreciate it very much. Julie's and Kristen's suggestions were good; I'd add cozy slippers or socks, a wallet, pair of gloves, or a pretty little treat like an embroidered makeup bag. I have one from an ex's mom that I still treasure. The price doesn't matter, but it'll mean everything that you included her.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:15:19 PM PST
Mindi_M says:
My parents-in-law bought me a silver necklace and the pendant was the initial of my first name when I was dating my husband years ago. I still wear and treasure that necklace.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:46:37 PM PST
My mother in law bought me a hat box with some small things inside like a care package it had a simple heart necklace, a card, fluffy socks, a small makeup and bath kit. I was still dating her son at the time and she passed away before we got married but I have all our love notes and small things in that hat box in my closet to this day 8 years later.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 8:22:22 PM PST
J. Azierski says:

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:41:11 PM PST
I agree that a scarf or perfume. I have a lifetime collection of scarves --- someone, not certain
anymore who may have given me the first one. And I might also look for perfume --- at this
time of the year, there are gifts with purchase that might be a great idea.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:55:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 9:59:43 PM PST
You can't go wrong with dormwear! I'm 20 and pajama pants or fuzzy socks are the best gift ever. I think perfume is too risky and body washes can be too because a lot of people have certain scents they prefer. If you wanted to do something a little more, you could also get her an Amazon gift card (great for textbooks) or perhaps a Harry & David gift set with chocolates and such. :)

Update: Also, subscription to Netflix perhaps? Or, if she is a coffee drinker and is walking to-and-from class, maybe a Tervis?

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:58:24 PM PST
r woman says:
I love the wristlet! I got one from the Vera Bradley company and I use it all the time. If you want to put a gift card in it, that's sweet. But a gift card on its own is too impersonal I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:25:57 AM PST
That's so shameful! Imagine sitting with his family - All opening gift's - and you "leave your Son's girlfriend out?" I can't believe you're so MEAN! I hope you rethink your idea of gift giving and more of how your son and possible Daughter in-law may feal - El Cheapo!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:28:04 AM PST
I think an appropriate gift would be a utility tool for her car. The tool could save her life and is priced well. It's not over the top and it says you care,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:30:22 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 12:54:16 PM PST
Jilly says:
Well, I generally go with a gift bag of small nicely wrapped items. I give something to eat, a small
box of fancy choclates, 6 pieces, maybe but they should be special...(not 6 hershey's kisses) or a small
tin box of nuts, something unusual like that. Then I find something useful such as a small flash light or a nice key chain. Then I add something like a beautiful boxed bar of soap or a hand cream. Next,
I put in a small diversion like a small brain teaser puzzle Bits 'n Pieces have a nice variety of tiny puzzles...twisted nails, wooden boxes, those kinds of things, or a small book like "The Language of flowers. A nice tealight candle holder and some battery operated tea lights, a Lenox snowflake or Special Hallmark ornament with the year on it is very nice and also a wonderful keepsake. Then wrap each one individually. Don't just throw it all in a bag and crumple tissue paper in the top...use pretty wrapping paper and lots of bows and curling ribbon. So, each gift looks like a labor of love. I realize it's late to get anything thorugh the mail at this time, but I have ideas for my 'goody bags' all year and just accumulate things in a box in my closet. fancy soaps on sale a TJMaxx, (TJMaxx and Marshalls also have quite a selection of fancy candy, nuts, cookies, and fancy jams around the holidays) things like that, or snuggly sock booties from K-Mart, silver jewelry on sale. Just a bunch of nice little things that can be wrapped and tossed into a bag. Having to take the time to unwrap them and look at each thing individually makes it appear to be a thoughtful well thought out gift selected especially for the recipient. Each little item is treasured and the giver is thought of often.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:13:17 PM PST
I'm so glad I saw this post, my son's girlfriend (age 19) is the present I am struggling to figure out this year. They've been dating for a year, she isn't expecting anything but she's a sweet girl and I want to get her something- but didn't know what would feel too generic or too personal. I know my son is getting her jewelry for Christmas, so I don't want to give something that might compete with his present.
Thank you for asking the question and thank you for all of the ideas- I'm totally going to pick her up some pajamas and slippers. Perfect.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:27:19 PM PST
Pynekone says:
Snacks/food and cash were always welcome when I was 20. Now that I'm 30, they're still the best. Gift cards can be great, too, but choose them wisely. For me, Amazon, Walmart, and Target are pretty safe bets because they have lots of different items to choose from. So people can usually find something they like. I would stay away from some of the other store gift cards since you don't really know what her interests are. I hate it when people buy me department store cards, for example, because I rarely find anything I like there (or that fits) and often, the items I do like are so overpriced that I end up using a significant amount of my own money as well.

Before you buy a replacement gift, you may consider talking to her or your son about her interests. At that age, many of my friends and relatives knew I was on the path to law school, so some of them got me books and things that were truly of interest to me. You'd be surprised sometimes at the gifts that could make her day and that wouldn't cost you very much. If she has a facebook account, you can sometimes obtain info from the activities and so forth that she has listed there. Your son could probably be helpful in that regard. (Many young females probably don't want their boyfriend's mom actually seeking them out on social networks.)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 4:01:38 PM PST
Your son would have to help you out, but a certificate for a manicure or a massage in the town that she is in school at would be nice. That's a luxury that most college students would not spend their own money on, but that they would love. Those are some of the best types of gifts in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 4:52:19 PM PST
I like Tommy's suggestion of a manicure. However, a massage would probably be more than you might want to spend.
But I must say, this reminds me that I need to schedule a massage for myself next week!!!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:43:02 PM PST
Jacque Woody says:
college students don't have much money to go on dates so movie tickets, and dinner at a local restaurant are always good gifts to send. You can also find out what places are on campus and send gift cards for a coffee, to the bookstore for clothes, or other needed/wanted items.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 11:12:12 PM PST
She may love a magazine subscription to People or US.
How about a upscale wallet or purse?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:05:36 AM PST
dawn Smith says:
Vera Bradley wristlets
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
Jenna 8513 2 minutes ago
I am here. 12 5 hours ago
GET OUT NOW 77 9 hours ago
+#*%@*!!! 24 10 hours ago
In danger of being forgotten? 256 1 day ago
What are you reading now? 529 1 day ago
Top Five Best Books I'll Never Read Again 45 1 day ago
Old Friends and Guilty Pleasures 40 2 days ago

ARRAY(0xa58b32b8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions