Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

idea for older lady

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 10:55:23 PM PST
smurf says:
need idea for 80 year old lady who has everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 11:01:20 PM PST
Ballad says:
Spend some time with her

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:48:02 PM PST
a bound photobook that reminds her of the best times of her life

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 1:07:23 AM PST
Tardygirl says:
Gift card to her favorite restaurant.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 1:11:04 AM PST
Ann Lizzio says:
My suggestions are: coupons, including tips, to get her hair washed and styled for a few weeks, manicure, pedicure, grocery store gift certificates, favorite restaurant certificate to cover the cost of 2 people, offer to drive her to appointments and wait for her, hire and supervise a house cleaning service, pharmacy gift certificate to help pay for medications, hearing aide batteries, small flashlights she could keep close by in different parts of the house, night lights that plug in, hire someone to clean her windows and or carpets, if she is religious, take her to church every so often, take her to play bingo - my MIL played Bingo until she was 96 or 97 and frequently won. 80 year old ladies are easy - they have everything - and appreciate just being remembered. Any little thing you do for them is much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 4:39:56 AM PST
How about a new light fixture or lamp with some bright halogen bulbs? That's what I am getting my 87 year old mother who has vision problems.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 7:54:36 AM PST
summerdog says:
Get a folder with pockets and fill them with all kinds of nice new greeting cards, and throw in some postage stamps for mailing. Lots of birthday cards, anniversary cards, get well cards, sympathy cards, etc. Ladies of that age love to send cards.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 9:50:36 AM PST
mjyarger says:
Depending on how active she is, you could get her the 4-in-1 smart finder, to help her find her keys, phone, wallet, etc.

http://online.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-138246/

findgift.com has a lot of great gift ideas that you can narrow down by your relationship with the gift-receiver, age, cost, and type of holiday. Best of luck!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 4:03:44 PM PST
Susan says:
Spend some time with her. Give her a sleigh bell so she can reminisce about days gone by.... see "I Believe bell" by elfworkslane

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:17:05 PM PST
A Nice flower aggangement of greens not Christmas. maybe a plant not to large.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:04:09 PM PST
Great ideas, especially the window cleaning.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 3:22:42 PM PST
Pictures of the family

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:41:39 AM PST
Bake her something and go visit.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 12:42:40 AM PST
A sleigh bell? That will be good if you want her to think you're off your rocker.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 1:23:28 AM PST
J. A. Hector says:
I've gotten my mom (89) several amarylis (sp?) plants. For example, one red, one white and one multi color. The suggestions for spending time with her or doing chores are great if you can do it. I'm only 61, but I'd die for someone to come over and redo some screws on my kitchen cabinits b/c I can't climb and/or get the right leverage & strength. Cleaning windows, raking leaves, etc. would be heaven! My mom has Alzheimer's now and last year I got her pictures of animal babies. My neice read the captions to her. She loved it. This year I ordered a book of strange animal friends with short stories, like the dog & elephant friendship. Saw it in the store for about $15; wrote down the title; went home; ordered it from Amazon for $10! Also got her a picture book of landscapes made out of food. Think it's called Foodscapes. I think she'll get a kick out of that too. Oh, and chocolates (Whitman's Sampler) always work too.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:52:03 AM PST
This may be a little late but...
A nice gift I gave years ago was a fancy metal card holder, embossed with a heart on it, for things like doctors cards and appointment cards. Just make sure it's easy to open and close with no small difficult buttons to push, just a clasp is better. Oh and I must recommend an estee lauder fancy compact for any Lady, filled with tranclucent powder. Just a beautiful gift - and much appreciated by ladies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 12:15:49 PM PST
my mother is 89. her stereo died several years ago. I got her a boombox that plays cassettes as well as CDs as she has lots of both. so many music devices don't play cassettes and older people have cassettes!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:11:22 PM PST
Luci says:
Very good idea!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:12:48 AM PST
dottie says:
I am an 87 yr old with vision problems and I have all halogen floor lamps. The problem is finding them. Mine are old but when I moved to a retirement home I took all the floor lamps with me, and as one goes out, I have one to replace it. Excellent gift idea!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:33:51 PM PST
If you have everything, is it "really" okay when your grown kids(friends now), give you utilitarian gifts? When you are feeling the affects of older age isn't it more fun to get fun stuff? Wouldn't a beautiful silk blouse, perfume, or a cashmere sweater take the edge off? Your thoughts please...

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:46:50 AM PST
Rhea D. says:
Halogen floor lamps- or well any kind of halogen lamps, are a HUGE fire hazard. The Halogen heats up so hot that it is very likely to catch anything flammable near to it on fire...curtains, paintings, whatever... and if they tip over are that much more likely to catch on fire.

I can't believe anyone would suggest these as a gift for anyone, especially an older lady. There is no worse way to die than in a fire.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:50:33 AM PST
Rhea D. says:
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/halogen.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/about_5571470_dangers-halogen-light-bulbs.html

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/lighting/bulbs.html

http://www.safetyathome.com/home-safety/home-safety-articles/halogen-lamp-use-and-safety/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:52:38 AM PST
Rhea D. says:
So you want your mother to die in a horrible fire?

You really need to return this halogen floor lamp and get her something- anything- else. When she knocks the floor lamp over, everyone in the building is likely to die from fire and smoke inhalation.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:24:39 PM PST
I bought my mom the following: a table tree already lit and decorated from LLBean...shipped for you, a music box that plays a variety of Christmas carols or old time favorites, a breakfast selection of pancake mixes, bacon, syrup....available from lots of catalogs, paper white daffodil bulbs or an assortment of bulbs ready for watering ,,,,and then during the cold winter, she can watch it grow and bloom; I always made home made fudge for my mom and peanut brittle for my Dad; an old fashioned assortment of candy, like you can get from Vermont country store; an old fashioned Christmas decoration like a snow globe; intricate miniatures for a dollhouse or a doll from her ancestral country ... Women continue to like dolls and dollhouse stuff.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:28:04 PM PST
How about a Kindle with a bible installed. Be sure to show her how to electronically enlarge type so she can read again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions