Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

What Was The Worst/Most Useless Gift You Received?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2009 12:15:39 PM PST
GW™ says:
I don't remember who started this thread last year but it was terrific.

So let's do it again.

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 12:19:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2009 12:21:11 PM PST
GW™ says:
My mother gave me a 10 lb. sack of Russet Potatoes.
They were "on sale" at the grocery store for 49 cents.
She always thinks of PRACTICAL gifts.......bless her heart,
but I don't eat more than 3 potatoes a YEAR!

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 12:33:07 PM PST
my grandma got me a small sized woman's shirt, i'm a male and where extra large, shes not exactly all there anymore

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009 3:24:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2010 11:40:19 AM PDT
GW™ says:
CE,
My mama IS all there............ and ALL THAT.
She has no excuse for these antics.
She thinks a sack of potatoes is a FUNNY gift. She loves the look on people's faces when they see their CR@PPY gifts.

I've had a lifetime of this type of "gift" giving & have developed a poker face to thwart her evil scheme.

Just wait til she sees the Ginormous Potato Salad I'm bringing to her house on New Year's Day.

She's getting EVERY ONE of those SPUDS BACK!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009 9:15:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2009 11:38:49 PM PST
O.K. I'm going to be serious and HONEST this time (don't expect it to happen, again) and tell you something that REALLY DID happen. My ex-mother-in-law, (a very strange woman, indeed), once drove 24 hours to visit her son and me. As soon as she arrived, she handed me a present ... a lemon and a half head of cabbage with little black spots all over it! She said that she hadn't been able to leave the cabbage behind because it would be rotten by the time she got back home!!! Somehow, I managed to not ask what she thought all the little black spots were.

*Mom and Dad* gave us (i.e., me) an electric can opener when their son and I married. I was never able to determine if they thought I didn't know how to cook ... or if I was simply too dumb to know how to use a manual can opener!

This happened many, many years ago and I still laugh every time I remember that cabbage.
It's almost impossible for me to tell the story because I begin laughing so hard that ...
well, you know what happens when women laugh too hard .... The worst part is that while
I'm laughing hysterically, I begin to feel guilty because I remember how hard I laughed when I learned, years later, that she died instantly while crossing her street and getting hit by a bus!

Ahhhh ... banana peel/gallows humor. If it weren't for anonymity, I could never have shared that story.

Here is to hoping that whatever comes down your chimney tonight is exactly what you want
and exactly what you need! Peace to all, and to all, a good night.

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 9:15:49 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 24, 2009 11:25:44 PM PST
Vintage Valley~~

I know, I know, I know ... hard to believe, but all true. I may be smart enough to use a manual can opener, but I COULDN'T make up those stories if the future of the Universe depended on it ... which fortunately isn't the case or we'd all be ------ (you know what)!

Thanks for telling me you laughed; it's the best present ever.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 5:12:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2009 5:14:36 PM PST
T. Ackley says:
Mother-in-laws and mothers give the worst gifts. At least mine do. My mom buys clothes
in January for 75% off at Dilliards. All of the stuff is very ugly and doesn't fit, I told her to keep her money, otherwise it's an automatic donation to Good Will. The Mother-in-law always buys me something she knows my husband could use or need. She also goes to the Dilliad's sales. I try to return the stuff after I get it 11 months later, and use the money towards a nice bra! I figure they don't give a ####, and so I have stopped talking to them. This summer the mother in law gave me an out door coffee
set, she knows I don't drink coffee, but my husband does. Two months later I regifted
it to my mother, on her Birthday, who likes coffee and is a sierra club person. Boy! did I get a ####### out on how she didn't like it! It was so funny! I had also given her some other nice items in the Birthday bag. It was interesting to see someone else's reaction
to MIL's gift.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 5:38:19 PM PST
I got a pair of boots on the clearance rack that were from 10 or 15 years before I received them as a gift! I guess an old warehouse was "broken open" (sold as a liquidation), and the boots went right on the shelves of a discount merchant who did not recognize them as being old fashioned because the fads had changed so much already... They were nice and squishy looking with spike heels....

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 6:07:52 PM PST
My aunt got me a towel and a dove soap inside a reebok shoe box for christmas last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 7:14:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2009 7:24:00 PM PST
GW™ says:
This Mother-in -Law / Mother thing seems to be a common theme.
I can understand why the MIL might dislike a girl for taking her
baby boy away from her.........but WHY do our OWN MOTHERS
dislike us so?

Well, in MY case I DO know.
She never wanted kids.

BTW, she dropped in on the afternoon of xmas eve unannounced
(after a 2 year "vacation" from her) for all I could imagine was an
inspection of my housekeeping.........oh yeah, and to gift me with that
10 lb sack of Potatoes.

I could only offer her a slice of gingerbread since I hadn't expected to see her. I invited her to xmas day dinner, but she said she was too
busy "cleaning".

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 8:27:37 PM PST
L. Noon says:
my sister got me a dress that has a gogo cut, indie colors and a hippie design.... im a fishnet loving black clad wearer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 2:55:49 PM PST
GW™ says:
Uh-huh.......so what was the problem?

(lol...just kiddin')

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 3:59:24 PM PST
Skatefan says:
I received an electric device for burning designs into wood and some wood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009 7:37:21 AM PST
Pat Ferris says:
Now that is funny turning those potatoes into salad, Hey you could also make potatoe soup. Have fun I love it.....

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:58:52 AM PST
J. Wilson says:
Years ago, my hubby gave me a very nice, expensive scale and an exercise bike. (Was this a subtle hint?) I hated the bike, and when I finally gave it away, it was like new, with less than a mile on it. We still have the scale. And I kept the hubby.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 9:05:09 AM PST
This year I received a gold necklace from my dad (I NEVER wear gold), a $500 gift card to Ann Taylor (don't shop there, way too conservative), and a PediPaw Nail Trimmer. The ONLY gift I really wanted was a camera. I left plenty of hints, even sent them links to my Amazon wish list because they asked what I wanted!

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 12:03:19 PM PST
GW™ says:
Shannon,
You can always sell gold.

Buy NEXT year's Xmas gifts for those pesky conservative relatives with the A.T. gift card. (and remember to stash them very carefully in the garage near the fertilizer )

Do you even HAVE a pet? I smell a RE-GIFT on this item.

Want a camera? Don't depend on them......you'll get one of those cardboard box
cameras they found in the bargin bin. Save up your $$$ & buy the one you WANT!

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 12:50:20 PM PST
Sl Judge says:
The year my parents got divorced, I was 19 and went to live with my mother. On Christmas, I stopped at my dad's house to give him his gift and wish him a Merry Christmas and he handed me a can of de-icer for my car. I guess he was a bit bitter, eh? lol

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 3:22:15 PM PST
Carrie O. says:
How funny is it that my bosses give me better gifts than my family? This year wasn't too bad all in all though. My "haul" this year:

A cookbook - that I really really wanted (from Mom)
An ice cream maker - Ummm, okay. I have a tiny kitchen and don't even have a microwave cause it takes too much space. Since I'm a cook I suppose I'll get use out of it someday.
Photo coasters - Don't use coasters, but I guess I can print some photos to put in them.
Candle holder thingy - Yes, I really like candles. This holder thingy - not so much. The thought was nice.
Chocolate dipped pretzels - Yummy! This was an excellent gift. :)
Stocking - Loved it. I'm single so no longer get a stocking to open first thing on Christmas day. My 20 year old niece knew that I really wanted one so filled a stocking for me and left it by my fireplace with instructions not to open until Christmas. She's really the best ever.

My bosses gave me a Kindle (woo hoo!) and a couple of co-workers gave me Amazon gift cards. I'm so very lucky to have such a wonderful place to work!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 9:00:49 PM PST
here's to regifting, it takes a real pro to regift potatoes in time before they rott...

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 9:06:14 PM PST
the worst gift I got was a cold for me and my twin 4 month olds and 10lbs of saddle bags from all the food. but considering other than that apparently after one has children in my family all the gifts go to the youngens. In short, I got nuthin....;( But I have my sons, my life, my health and family near by. So I can't complain it was a decent holiday.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 11:43:19 PM PST
J. Bowen says:
Worst gift I ever got, a velvet beating heart jesus picture. I think my sister in law was trying to impress my annoyed-cuz-I-don't-go-to-church MIL........<eyeroll> I left it there at my MIL's house when I went home and then when it was pointedly given to me days later I went into the guest bedroom, popped it out of the frame, propped it up by the lamp and took the frame home with me. I figured I can always use a wooden frame for something.......LOL!! Never heard a word about it again <shrug>

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 3:22:28 PM PST
Worst gift I ever got was my own scarf. I had left it tucked into my ex's jacket and he thought that he bought it and left it in his coat (??) so wrapped it and gave it to me. Though he did out-do himself on Valentines Day with a pair of silk men's boxers and a carton of smokes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 3:50:31 PM PST
GW™ says:
red,
Guess he was expectin' to give you A LOT of "Satisfaction". (the smokes)
Since you say he's your EX......I'm guessing he DIDN'T measure up, huh?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  621
Total posts:  1344
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 55 customers

Search Customer Discussions