Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

gifts for a 14 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2008 4:40:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2008 7:39:10 AM PDT
Sean Mchugh says:
need help with picking out a gift for 14th year old girl, mainly into books ,clothes and sometimes baking

please help

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 6:52:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2008 6:53:16 AM PDT
Telling us a little bit more about this 14 year old girl would be helpful. Is she into music? Dancing? Dolls? Video Games? Movies? If all else fails, just pick up a gift card.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 8:07:02 AM PDT
If she is interested in baking, try finding a cake decorating class, & purchasing the supplies. I taught my girls at age 7 thru 10, so a 14 year old will have no problem. If that fails maybe a 15 year old boy .... lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 4:05:54 PM PDT
You should tell us more about what she's into...
What kind of books and clothes does she enjoy?
If you can't decide-get her a gift card to a book store or to the mall where she can pick out whatever clothes or books she wants. If she's into baking- buy her a cookbook with some new recipes she can try and take her to the store to pick up whatever ingredients she needs for the recipe she tries...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 6:08:26 PM PDT
L. Johnson says:
At 14 and after, i got my nieces and nephews Visa gift cards - made them feel all "adult" and could use them anywhere - always a hit. If you don't want to go that way, i've had great success giving the following to mid-teenage girls (a variety of price ranges here): the board game Hoopla; itunes gift cards; a manicure or pedicure at a local salon; a book journal/nice pen or sketchbook/art pencils; any rio grande game for 12+ (they have a lot of themed games from egypt or science to the medievil Carcasonne which is a good pick); a magazine subscription (here's a list: http://www.allyoucanread.com/Top20/index.asp?idCat=22) and don't forget the ever-popular amazon gift card (not quite as cool as being able to slip out a visa at starbucks with your friends, but always a joy to a book reader)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2008 12:32:01 PM PDT
J. Phoenix says:
At 14, girls are hard to please as they usually don't know what they want themselves! Ha! I have a new teen and I just opened a saving account for her last year. Most banks offer an incentive with opening a combination checking/savings account. They will give you $50-$100 to open an account that will be open for 3 or more months (i.e Chase or ING). Check out the banks near you to see which one has the best deal, give her the coupon and some money to open her new account. I am sure she will enjoy being able to access her own money as needed. If she already has an account, a gift card to the store of her choice is a good idea. Hope this helps! Jeneen

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2008 12:32:22 PM PDT
J. Phoenix says:
At 14, girls are hard to please as they usually don't know what they want themselves! Ha! I have a new teen and I just opened a saving account for her last year. Most banks offer an incentive with opening a combination checking/savings account. They will give you $50-$100 to open an account that will be open for 3 or more months (i.e Chase or ING). Check out the banks near you to see which one has the best deal, give her the coupon and some money to open her new account. I am sure she will enjoy being able to access her own money as needed. If she already has an account, a gift card to the store of her choice is a good idea. Hope this helps! Jeneen

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2008 1:23:32 PM PDT
April Powers says:
You could buy her a year's subscription to a couple magazines for teens like Seventeen, Cosmo Girl, Teen People, that sort of thing.
Those usually have stories about other teens and their funny embarrassing times which will make reading also entertaining. And of course, it's a magazine so it will be geared also for teens that like clothes and fashion. You could also make her a cook book of family and friend's recipes that are easy, tasty, and fun that she can add to as she grows into a young adult. All else fails, get the girl a gift certificate for a local mall. Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2008 7:41:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2008 7:45:18 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 3:52:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2008 3:59:16 PM PDT
K. Brooks says:
Maybe a book on clothes, a cook book with simple recipes or if she's into video games Harvest Moon DS Cute!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 11:40:38 AM PDT
Emily says:
gift card from her favorite store
find out what kind of book she likes and pick it up at the local bookstore
money

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2008 7:14:41 AM PDT
brett says:
That Sean depends on your relationship to this 14 yr old girl. Are you a 15 year old boy or a step father or her mom's boyfriend. If you are a 15 y/o boy then do NOT get her a book or jewlery of any kind this sends off two signals. Books say spend time with this instead of me and jewelry of any kind from boy to girl says "I Love You" (in the girl's eyes). Get her a couple of CDs of her fave bands and take her out to eat.
If you are a stepfather and been there awhile you should know better than us what she wants. However barring that scenario, a gift card to a place that carries a variety of items (not JC Pennys) or if she is into fashion to a nice clothing store. Do not buy a girl clothes. Parents tastes in clothes usually suck in the teens eyes. Maybe a tv and dvd player for her bedroom or accessories for her computer. Worse comes to worse get with her mom and have her help you select something good.

If you are her mom's boyfriend a gift certificate to a place like Hasting's is appropriate. However, watch out for the value. A bf should not spend more than 40 dollars on a teen birthday. If you are still with her mom at Christmas, this is when you lavish multiple nice gifts on her kids. NO CLOTHES, toys, electronics, vids, music, but alot of it. Check out what type of music and vids they have already and get the same bands newest CDs etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2008 6:34:03 PM PDT
M. Carlson says:
Brett is right, It depends on your relationship to her and also your budget.
My mainstay gift for teens is a beach bag, (you can get them for around $5 at Target or Wal-Mart) filled with pool/beach accessories. Think: towel, flip-flops, nice lotion, a re-usable water bottle and a book or magazine. Be careful picking magazines. This girl's mom might not approve of those teen mags. Teen People would probably be OK. Since she's into books try picking out a fun, light summer read. Has she read the Twilight series? Girls that age LOVE those books. Search for Twilight by Stephenie Meyers. It's around $12 on this sight.
Another Idea: Cute PJ's (make sure they are modest so she doesn't think you're a creep,) slippers and a movie. Try Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly. That movie is also a favorite among girls that age. Or last summer's Hairspray.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008 7:12:54 PM PDT
Wendy says:
a "fun and easy" type baking book
gift certificate to barnes n nobles etc
A neat book I saw once was something like "101 uses for an old T-shirt" or something similar. A lot of cool ways to (easily) remake an old t-shirt into something cool (often a fashion item)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008 8:59:19 PM PDT
maybe getting her started into a good skin care regime...clinique cleanser, moisturizer and foundation. Paula Deen makes some really cute aprons you can purchase on-line w/ some "killa" cookbooks, too boot. Rachael Ray has some nice baking dishes, and her "Thirty Minute Meals" would be good to give, as well. She's pretty good about keeping it simple. Girls are so fun to shop for!!! I could go on and on:)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 5:50:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 5:53:52 AM PDT
Kelly French says:
a sterling silver name bracelet, nice a nd real and not expensive. caan get it with her b-day month color crystals or school colors. email me if interested in this...I make them :)

kjf740@yahoo.com

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 11:57:54 AM PDT
At 14, I was in love with the original Nancy Drew mystery books by Carolyn Keene. Now, at 27, I still stop past the bookshelf and drwon myself in a good mystery every once in a while. I look forward to the day when I can pass them on to my niece. It may be a while though. She's about 6 years old now. She's got a little ways to go before she can read something like Nancy Drew...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 9:51:44 AM PDT
Elly says:
iTunes card, and go to a Michaels or A C Moore & get some beading supplies & a selection of beads in her favorite colors. You ask, what are those? What does she wear most often? Put them in a basket or a pretty bag with some tissue paper fluffing it up.

If you don't know what I mean, ask the girls in the store to help you buy the stuff for this basket or bag & tell you how to set it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2008 7:19:06 AM PDT
EB says:
If she likes jewelry, check out the website silverjewelryclub.com. They have really nice jewelry (much of it with gemstones) that is **FREE** and all you pay is the $6.99 S/H fee. Very reasonable price for some really nice jewelry. My sister in law sent me to the site to check it out and I bought a number of pieces. There's no catch to the price. The company that runs the site is hoping you'll shop their full catalog, but you're obviously not required to.

Check the site out. Maybe you'll find something she'll like. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2008 12:32:27 PM PDT
Legend says:
I had a sister who was once 14, and she loved pop music, dresses...a magazine subscription to a cooking or perhaps "latest gossip" magazine?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 1:27:48 AM PST
B. Bacchus says:
25.00 gift cert. from Amazon or Visa gift cards - made them feel all "adult" and could use them anywhere - always a hit. lots of stocking stuffer gifts would be the best.

Every kid eats, so how about all the ingredients to make something with Katy? I'd try to think of things that she had to interact with her parents to get her, it would be for her greater good. We have a family here that the daughter was just crying out for her parents attention & has given them a world of trouble, the Mom just wasn't paying attention. I tried to tell her in a nice way, but for once I must have been too polite... imagine!

Mother daughter day some place that doesn't break the bank, even if it is just two coupons to the movies, 'from Mom & Dad'.

I'd not rule out those `Wild Animal' DVD's. If she ever watched one she'd be hooked... they are marvelous! Have Parents insist on watching one with her on Christmas day...

Also what about setting her up in a sorta little business of her own? Kids are making cash making cupcakes for parties, `IF they are special' I bought a BIG cupcake mold from Ross (they said they get them in all the time) and you can make a filling for this little cake as well.
Even if this wouldn't fit her bill, possibly being a dog walker for people in the neighborhood could bring in some cash, then she'd need some business cards (we all know they are so cheep on-line) and several leads. I'd have Parents ask her about this & then give her the basics to set up the business.
She might still be too immature for this, but if you appeal to her greed & she is the type to get off her bottom it might be a good one.

OK. there you go. Last of my epiphanies!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 9:35:15 AM PST
montana says:
a himalayan kitten

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 9:50:00 AM PST
Teresa Glaze says:
I got my niece a Gift Card to the local Movie Theater. She loved it!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 8:59:08 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2011 9:46:11 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 7:28:21 AM PST
Does she like games? If so, she (and you) will love this one...brand new...not even in stores yet! Outside the Box - The NEW lightning-fast team and party game! **Premier Limited First Edition** (personally signed by the inventor) **
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2008
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions