Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Christmas Gift for 80+ yr old Widow

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2009 4:24:47 PM PST
E. Hamilton says:
My 83 yr old mother who has been a widow now for 6 years asked me for suggestions for a Christmas Gift for my 82 yr old aunt who lives 4 States away. My aunt has been a widow for 3 years now. My initial suggestion was a small crock pot and an assortment of spice combinations for 2 pork chops, 2 chicken breasts, stew beef, etc. with instructions such as add 1 can chopped tomatoes to 8 oz chicken breasts and stir in spice mix. Put lid on and cook on low for 4 hours (or whatever the details should be). My first question is would you like to receive such a Christmas Gift if you happen to be in a similar stage of life? My second question is does anyone have a cook book or web site to recommend for the spice and instructions recommendations? My final question is do you have other suggestions if you have needed to give a gift under these circumstances? Thank you for your suggestions and may God bless you and yours - CLT Gal -- XMAS 2009.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 7:17:55 PM PST
CC says:
I would think it is a good gift idea. Another thought is to purchase a recipe collection book that is blank with recipe cards and write your own. Not only would it add a personal touch, you could write the text at any size necessary. The web has plenty of recipes for crock pot stews, soups, etc. Good Luck and Merry Christmas...

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 7:29:10 PM PST
My mother is 97 and still lives at home. There are 4 of us daughters here and it is hard to by things for her, but she still goes to church
so she likes her perfume, big scarfs. My father died in 1967 so we have missed him along time. The thing that makes her the happiest are phone calls,visits

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 7:58:44 PM PST
Laura says:
My mom is 85 and has everything -- and more. The crock pot would NOT be a hit cause she's been there, done that. Knick knacks just add to the clutter. I agree with Cynthia -- phone calls and visits.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 8:03:13 PM PST
Karin says:
Make a photo book on a website like Shutterfly, or make a photo album or scrapbook if you do not have access to a computer regularly. For my parents 40th wedding anniversary, my sister called/emailed/wrote to everyone in my mother's address book asking for photos or written memories. Boy did we get some doozies! :D
I bet she would love to see pictures of events from other people.
Good luck!

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 11:23:52 PM PST
fashionista says:
Southwest has flights starting at $59 currently. Maybe you could fly out the auntie to see your mom or you take your family and mom out to see the auntie. I'm sure they'd love to get together. Nothing makes my grandma happier than when her sisters come for visits. She gets tired quickly and can't be out of the house long so them being able to come to her makes her day.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 11:37:41 PM PST
You can google recipes for 1 or two and find lots of small recipes. One word of caution though is that at this age most elders are not into a lot of cooking. I just ran across some neat recipes for "in a mug" gifts. You make the same thing that yoou would make for a gift in a jar but down sized to one serving. Bag it up and put it in a big mug. A lot of the recipes are for the microwave so they are quick and easy for a senior to fix.

Another suggestion would be for some nice stationary with stamps included so the two sisters could write to each other.

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 5:23:59 AM PST
Molly says:
May mother is 83 - birthday midDecember. One year I sent her a gift basket from Wine Country Gift Baskets - she was thrilled because she had never rec'd anything like it before. It was elegant and had lots of different things to eat in small quantities -- chocolates, nuts, gourmet pretzels, and so on and so on. So she enjoyed it for a couple of weeks. Check them out. This year one of the things I sent her was a gift box from Oasis Date Gardens in Southern Calif - their all organic, walnut stuffed dates, date fudge, Majools (?) and so on. I also ordered her a red rain jacket from Altrec -- I knew she would like a light jacket and didn't have a raincoat - many older folks don't have a rain coat and just make do . She had so many pastel things she's thrilled with the red!
Anyway I think food is something that can't be beat, if it's quality, variety, and in a lovely presentation

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 5:33:00 AM PST
Laura says:
Thanks to everyone for the good ideas.

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 7:52:53 AM PST
Nanciejeanne says:
I have some older relatives, too and agree they don't like knick knacks and cluttery least my relatives don't. Each Christmas, I get my own mom her daily newspaper subscription for the year. I send gift cards to my one aunt for her pets. Another older friend gets car wash certificates. I have tried food, sweets, flowers, objects, etc. but none have been as well received as things they already use. Boring, yes....but appreciated and useful. My mother-in-law, on the other hand likes the knick knacks, jewelry, appliances, etc. I suppose it depends on what she likes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 9:06:42 AM PST
Aviva Lynne says:
I agree with a poster who said a crockpot probably not so much. At her age if she either has had one or never really wanted one. I have an 83 year old mother and a 90 year old aunt and it can be a challenge to figure out gifts for people at this stage of their life. Several years ago we started to move towards gifts of experiences like tickets to local performing arts events. You can often get gift certificates so that they can pick the dates that suit them.

But gifts of specialty foods can be nice if you know your aunt's food preferences. My aunt likes olive tapenades so one of us will often do a little gift basket with different tapenades and crackers for her. Since she entertains bridge parties occassionally this is great for her. And because she still entertains I sometimes give her nice paper plates and napkins and guest towels so she can put out a lovely table (and if you have purchased these things you know they do add up). She has liked this over the years since when she was still driving it still was a little too much energy for her to go to a specialty paper goods store. Similarly I will go to a card shop and buy her an assortment of birthday, get well, and sympathy cards that will last her for up to year so she always has a card to send to family and friends without the hassle of going out to buy one.

We also will go and get gift baskets of shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. the only thing is to be careful you pick a scent they will enjoy.

As my mom and aunt age, they can still get around and do many activities but I find that sometimes the simple things seem to wear them out. (I think they save their energy for fun stuff instead of shopping) So they can really appreciate someone doing or buying the boring stuff like making sure they have a good stock of light bulbs or scissors or paper for their computers or a new trash can. This year my sister and I are refreshing my mom's bathroom with a new shower curtain, shower head, curtain rings, and towels after we noticed hers were starting to look a little worn out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 10:27:06 AM PST
Laura says:
Great ideas -- thanks!

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 11:47:17 AM PST
Nabisco says:
My Mom is 89 and my father-in-law is 88. This year I'm giving them digital photo frames that we will pre-load with photos of their great-grandchildren, etc. When they receive them, other family members can add to them and we can update every so often.

Last year I got them each a memory foam bed pillow. I seem to get them the same thing often, must be the age.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 3:26:59 PM PST
Mike Brolin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 6:16:46 PM PST
Jilly says:
Well Mike,

It means their husbands have died and they now live alone.
They cook less food, fewer meals, more snack like foods.
They probably wouldn't want games, there's nobody around the house
play a few hands of gin rummy with anymore. They probably don't
go out as frequently so there's no need for fancy duds or the
accessories. They are by themselves now, after living with
someone for many years. They are at another time in life. Things
are different for them, their needs have changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 6:39:20 PM PST
Laura says:
Thanks, Jilly!

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 3:01:14 AM PST
After reading everyone's posts, I went to Harry and David's site and picked out the "Berry Breakfast Sampler Gift Box" for my aunt. It has some nice looking English muffins and scones. She can freeze what she doesn't eat, or share it all with her friends. Thanks to everyone that posted their suggestions, I was about to get my aunt another knickknack till I stumbled on this thread.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 9:03:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2009 9:08:08 AM PST
S. K. Renk says:
My mother is 97 years young and still lives in her on home and is very mobile for her age.
She would certainly appreciate a filled crock pot, but having her utility bills paid for the month is a hit and she still feels she can afford to have Christmas tree lights inside and out and still make long distance phone calls to distant relatives she likes to talk to. I find she likes to go out to dinner - my house - brother's house - ect. If you have brothers and sisters maybe you can pay for a couple of months bills - you'd be surprised what older parents worry about - even when they can afford to pay their own bills they still worry.
Good luck choosing - there are allot of good ideas here - God Bless and may everyone have a Peaceful, Happy Holiday season.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 9:03:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2009 9:08:45 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 6:13:14 PM PST
Grace says:
I care for my 86 yr old mother in law, and currently am visiting her in rehab where I talk with many other older women ( what interesting people! )... I have yet to meet one who doesn't go on about how much they love a nice warm sweater with pockets.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 6:28:05 PM PST
Louis Allen says:
If she still drives, get her a Tom Tom GPS.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 8:05:28 PM PST
J. Cheetham says:
Leaning Tree (greeting card company) makes some real nice collections of greeting cards for about $25.00. I gave these to my mom, 91, and my mother-in-law, 90, and they really appreciated it because they are always sending cards to people but don't want to drive to a store to buy one. Some sets are sympathy, some are birthday, etc.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 10:10:08 PM PST
fruit basket, magazines gift cards for favorite stores.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 9:52:24 AM PST
Steve says:
J. Cheetham, we got cards for my Grandma this year too but we got stamps too so if anyone goes that route you might want to keep that in mind also (the forever stamps).

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 12:00:15 PM PST
L. Moon says:
If the elder adult in your life has a computer, I reccommend checking out Posit Science Brain Fitness Products. They are clinically proven to help adults remember more, think faster, focus better and react quicker. Numerous studies have shown that training with brain fitness products can improve quality of life for older adults greatly. ... they are also sold on Amazon
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions