Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift ideas for a Marine

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 5:49:44 AM PST
C. Speck says:
He leaves in January and can take nothing with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 9:29:51 AM PST
My about to depart Marine received a home decorated money jar. The idea was that this would sit on his dresser at home and every time someone thought of him, wondered what he was doing, or prayed for the boy they would put a dollar or so in the jar. When he finally returned home for a brief visit the jar was pretty full. He was told to spend the money on himself.

He took his girlfriend out to dinner, bought DVDs and more importantly knew the real value of that full jar.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:59:46 AM PST
Ideate says:
Why not format a newsletter type of document? Write little articles like a newpaper. volume 1, issue 1 could be given before he goes. Have people he loves write an article, "Local grandson Makes Grandpa Proud," 5 Ways to treat Homesickness (Things he can think about,) etc. Make it light and fun. Then you can write a weekly or bimonthly new edition with "news" from home (try not to tell him about all the wonderful things he's missing, just commonplace incidents.) You can send these to him while he is gone. Add some silly picture like his brother making a crazy face.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 1:55:41 PM PST
Paul says:
If he can take nothing with him he must be going to bootcamp or the brig. Either way, a trip to a good running store and they will do a run analysis on him and get the type running shoes he needs.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 5:28:16 PM PST
Tess Caulder says:
If he leaves in January, you have some time to give him a great experiential gift. Take him out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 2:15:20 PM PST
Is he going to boot camp? If you're looking for support of any kind and aren't already familiar with these sites here are two great Facebook pages for friends, family and AWESOME advice... If he's going to San Diego, California https://www.facebook.com/mcrdsd?ref=ts
And if he's Parris Island, South Carolina bound
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MCRD-PARRIS-ISLAND-SC-OFFICIAL-PAGE/157348267443
I've made lasting friendships in the last three months while my husband was in boot camp. We all met (as is tradition) the night before the Family Day and Graduation. A Facebook page was also created specifically for the the families of the Company our Recruits were assigned to once they were actually in boot camp... It's a wonderful place to get any advice and get any questions you have answered!

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 2:49:40 PM PST
L. A. Cloudy says:
A nice Passport wallet would be nice. There are ones that have extra slots for ID's, credit cards, etc...Also ones that are RDIF safe. Bought one for my son who will be traveling during the holidays.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:31:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 5:37:03 PM PST
Give him 'something to look forward to' for Christmas, like setting up a 'savings account' with 'starter' cash to be waiting on him when he graduates boot camp! If you want to give him something RIGHT NOW, give him gift certificates for 'dining out' or a movie he can see before he leaves! Our family started a savings account for my grandson so he would have 'cash' when he finished boot camp! ......AND tell him how much we will all appreciate his service! When he graduates from boot camp, maybe you can go to his graduation! Meanwhile, I agree with two other posters .... join a support group of other parents, ask them questions, and keep up with what your Marine is doing! My grandson was so proud of the 'ready money' when he graduated from boot camp! Congratulations on that new Marine!!

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:55:27 PM PDT
Rever.. says:
check this website: www.meaningfulgiftideas.com

They have a lot of ideas for less stuff and more meaning. It's good.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 10:01:46 PM PDT
Jalal Dar says:
I would look at some military gear, I am in the army and I get all giddy when someone gets me some tactical equipment. Personally I like back packs, Spec ops is my personal favorite (pretty expensive but very well made). But you should look around maybe a gerber or pair of oakley glasses would make him happy.

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:30:36 AM PDT
widowTink says:
He can take memories with him. Go to Disneyland - The Happiest Place on Earth. Because I can guarantee you where he's going isn't going to be very happy..... Military get special discounts there, too........

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:48:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 9:50:07 AM PDT
sgmhenry says:
www.grunt.com

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:51:04 AM PDT
Chanel Notes says:
We found our Marines love crosses and these are specifically made for Marines.
http://amzn.to/MarinesGifts
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  May 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions