Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

tryecig4free for a smoker- will it offend them

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2012 11:35:27 PM PDT
Makemeup says:
I have a friend who smokes. They let you try this ecig for free. It has a tank and she chooses her own flavor nicotine and strength. Would this offend any of you if you smoked to get a free gift like this?

Posted on May 20, 2012 5:55:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 5:58:08 AM PDT
zeea says:
Smoking is an addiction and for the smoker, it is darn hard to give it up. We are treated like lepers and shunned by most members of the public (as well as governments who continue to rake in their high taxes on tobacco) and we are given designated places for 'smokers only'. You asked if we would be offended??

Did the segregation of coloureds from whites in Africa, Australia and the USA (to name a few countries) offend coloured people?? You bet it did....please think before you foist your choices onto others. It is bad enough that we smoke, without having our 'friends' joining the band wagon against us!!

Would you believe that most smokers wish they had never taken up the drug in the first place?? Would I personally feel offended?....Yes & No but I know that I would feel extremely sad that my 'friend' could not discuss this subject with ME instead of posting on a forum.

Posted on May 20, 2012 8:07:31 AM PDT
jgv73r says:
If your freind has been talking about quiting smoking for some time and really wants to then this would be a great of encouragment saying you know they can do it. If not then as a smoker myself i would definetly be offended. Smoking is a personal choice for your freind. As an example how would you feel if your freind just decided to buy you a new diet pill because they personally thought you could lose a few pounds for your health? Most people would be easly offended and take it personally the same happens to smokers in the same way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:20:35 AM PDT
Makemeup says:
I think what I will do is bring the website brochure from TryEcig4Free to her and see if she wants to try this device out. Thanks everyone for the advice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 9:49:37 AM PDT
ran says:
Did the black people choose to be be black instead white? No. It was just the matters of society that caused them to be segregated.

Do smokers have a choice? Yes. If you were born as a smoker like it was the color of your skin, you can use the race card as a comparison in your argument..

It's not the same thing ;)

Also I buy my friends a lot of different products from nicotine patches to gum, and they're never offended.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 1:48:01 PM PDT
Actually those designated areas you mention aren't because of smokers. They are for smoking. It's the SMOKE that's designated for a certain area. So it doesn't have to go up MY nose.

If this is considered offensive then don't make smoke.

Posted on May 20, 2012 2:15:02 PM PDT
R. Tapp says:
Why would (or should) she be offended because her friend cares about her health and life? If she is offended then you need to tell her that she needs to understand you care for her and don't want her to die.
I got the same gift for my girlfriend who smoked... She loves me more for the caring gesture and now she no longer smokes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 3:48:48 PM PDT
Makemeup says:
Thanks R. Tapp. I mean, if she doesn't like the tryecig4free, we send it back. So there should be no offense I thought at least.

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:33:48 AM PDT
I am a 30 year smoker and tried everything to quit. I am happy to say that I am now an EX smoker thanks to e cigs. The neat thing about the e cig is that the propellant that carries the nicotine is actually propylene glycol. That is the same stuff used to carry medicines used with asthma medications. The nicotine can be varied and gradually lowered. I use a caramel coffee flavor and it smells good, tastes good, does not leave you smelling like an ashtray, has no carcinogens, and can be used ANYWHERE. I use mine on aircraft, hospitals, banks, and even in my weekly staff meeting. There are so many cool mod kits available, and they are very easy to use. I am a believer and am seriously considering my next career move to be in this industry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 4:22:32 PM PDT
zeea says:
So, All the King's Men, when one smokes the smoke exhaled stays in one place? The same as if I put a drop of water in the ocean that drop of water would stay in one place? There are lots of things I consider offensive, drunken louts, people who fart etc etc. What I set out to do was get the discussion going.....I succeeded did I not? Although I am a bit perturbed that only non smokers replied. This makes the discussion very much a one sided and bias one...... don't you agree?
Makemeup, the choice is yours as to what you do....

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 4:55:57 PM PDT
As a smoker, why can't I enjoy an e-cig for a healthier or just different experience of nicotine? Especially considering that flavored tobacco isn't available everywhere! Think before you type.

Posted on May 22, 2012 7:21:30 AM PDT
Juju says:
I think new invention of the ecig is really nice.. I mean nobody will mind it.. and if you have kids smoking in the house or public wouldn't matter beause there is no smoke.. apparantly my friend who smokes says he loves them because he can smoke wherever he is but he consumes them pretty fast.. so I guess it can get expensive but that doesn't stop smokers I suppose.. it would be nice to finally see less hazardoussmoke around... I don't think its offensive.. because my friend mind blew when he realize there was such thing as ecig.. he said he loved them because now his girlfriend would kiss him without giving him the whole "stop smoking" speech and so on

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 4:49:19 AM PDT
Aubry says:
shut up

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:43:41 AM PDT
Did I claim it stayed in one place? Forcing smokers into one area gives the non smoker the choice of avoiding asthma inducing smoke. That's all. It's better than breathing smoke caused by those smokers who are unable to recognize the dangers of second hand smoke, and are comfortable inflicting their behaviours upon everyone else.

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:34:59 AM PDT
KM says:
There are designated areas for lots of activities--not people, activities--because outside of those areas that activity can be disruptive to others. We require that people go to the dance floor instead of clogging up the seating area with their booty-shaking, we insist that cyclists use the bike lane (where there is one) instead of dodging pedestrians on the sidewalk, we generally encourage our sports teams to play inside stadiums or auditoriums instead of out on the nearest street--though it would amuse me to see baseball announcers call out "CAR!" while everyone ducks to the side of the road for a minute...

Similarly (but not quite the same), we restrict activities in areas where they would be disruptive to a majority that does not engage in them. Restaurant patrons are not allowed to bring in boomboxes to serenade their dates. Drugstore shoppers are not allowed to bring in their cats. Bands are discouraged from setting up to play in the street, but legally welcome to hold garage practices and basement concerts within certain hours of the day so long as they abide legal requirements on noise levels, so as not to shake the china off the walls down the block.

None of these things are comparable to Apartheid.

The issue isn't whether the smoke is totally physically constrained within the smoking area, but whether the designated area does its job in minimizing the disruption to folks who don't partake in the activity. For all the complaints from non-smokers about how smoke and smell DOES still travel, it's still generally less noxious that the smoke and smell coming at you from all sides, so yes, it does the job.

All that aside, to the original issue: most of the smokers I know would be offended and see the gift as being nagged to quit, but approaching your friend and having a talk with her about it sounds like a good idea.

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:21:36 PM PDT
zeea says:
Good on you mokienatrix, well put. Reading all posts it is plain to see that emotions do evoke strong responses ... from both sides of the fence!! The subject; "to smoke or not to smoke", is one which will unfortunately, go on for many years to come. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  May 19, 2012
Latest post:  May 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions