Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Turtle Gift :)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 10:51:06 PM PDT
Chris M. says:
I want to give my Girlfriend a "small turtle" for her birthday, and Ive been looking for the "perfect tank" which will be the "home" of her soon to be pet, So any ideas guys? I will really appreciate it, comments, links to the item or pictures.

Thank you in Advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:55:32 AM PDT
Misty Garcia says:
Exo Terra Glass Turtle Terrarium
Exo Terra Turtle Cliff Aquatic Terrarium Filter/Rock, Large
Zoo Med Deluxe Box Turtle Starter Kit
Reptology® Turtle Topper® Above-Tank Basking Platform & Dock
Exo Terra Glow Light Porcelain Clamp Lamp, 5-1/2-Inch
Zoo Med ReptiSun® 5.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp

Those are just a few of the product links I would recommend of stuff needed to set up a turtle habitat ... this doesnt even touch the stuff needed to maintain it.

Water turtles have an estimated life span of 20-40 yrs if cared for correctly, so I sincerely hope she really likes turtles. Its a longer commitment than most dogs or cats .. or relationships.
Just know that the turtle may be cheap .. but setting up a decent terrarium habitat for it will cost you between 200-500$$. And she will end up having to shell out all the $$ for feeding & caring for it over time. So, unless you two have discussed this previously ... you might want to make sure this is something she absolutely wants to commit to - not something she just thinks is "cute". Personally, if you've never had a turtle before, I would go talk to a pet store that sells them & their products in person so you can get a better idea of what it takes.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:28:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 11:41:46 AM PDT
Chris M. says:
oh okay, thank you for the information, but would it help if the turtle can live into a 2.5 galloon of aquarium? like this product - Parallel 2.5 Gallon Desktop Aquarium Kit Black because that's her "available" aquarium and this is why I asked here if I can buy her just the turtle or I'll build a tank or a place for it to live, I have turtles and yes they are really really hard to take care of (especially the cleaning) lol. She's a starter in keeping a turtle as a pet.. :)

and p.s. I have a "pond" for my turtles I just don't know how to start it if it's indoors. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 8:54:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 9, 2012 7:17:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:03:28 PM PDT
Chris M. says:
I appreciate what you mean but SHE insist to get her OWN turtle.. Yeah it is my thing and beforehand she really wants her OWN turtle, she is an animal lover too (like me) just in case you're wondering if she was just like it because I like etc.

And I tried that one too (naming my turtle as one of her own) but she really wants her own turtle in her house or room and she can maintain it e.g. she have dogs, cats etc.

but now I concluded that I really want her to get ready with having a turtle maybe for future gift(s) I'll give her a pet turtle so for now I just want her to give a plush toy turtle Disney Pixar Finding Nemo: Crush Turtle Puppet,

thanks for the replies I really appreciated it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:11:27 PM PDT
That stuffed turtle is adorable (I hope you can find one for cheaper) and I bet she will love that. Maybe you can see if build a bear has one that you can make a personalize it with your voice or some other unique things that will distinguish it from the stock ones.
I was also glad to read that she has already talked about getting a turtle with you prior to today and therefore it won't be the unwanted gift that I previously suggested that it would be.
That she already has pets is a huge plus and proof that you know her better than we ever could. I am sure that whatever you decide, it will come from a place of love and that will please her as much if not moreso then the gift itself.
I hope you make it a great day for her. It sounds like she is lucky to have a guy that is so thoughtful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 10:42:17 PM PDT
Misty Garcia says:
Care and Maintenance of Common Aquatic Turtles [VHS]
Pet Video Library Aquatic Turtles Dvd

I think they do have pond like things you can use for indoors even or you could build your own tank using the correct aquarium sealing stuff (its not really that hard its just gluing glass together). Or, you could do a series of height increasing ponds to make use of the available space where the habitat will be using ramps similar to the ones for the "sunlight" basking decks for the turtles to go from pond to pond.

Women dig turtles .. they're the "cute" reptiles lol.

But yes, turtles do require a different kind of care all together and some one inexperienced with reptiles needs to learn more about them before diving into owning one. Maybe let her know when you give her the stuffed one that you really want her to have her own as well so you want her to help you take care of yours to get ready for it and maybe take her to a pet/reptile store that has some one knowledgeable to talk to her about them?? Then spring her with the real thing on your "anniversary" or other special event. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:09:47 PM PDT
I don't think you can have small turtles anymore....for some reason they have been "banned"...

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:16:21 PM PDT
Misty Garcia says:
@Gail L. Rudolph - It depends on the state. But the red eared sliders should be available in most places for "pets". It depends on what kind of turtle or tortoise you are trying to get, some are out right banned, others you just need a permit from the state to have. There was a ban on importing turtles & frogs for live food sale in CA a couple years ago but I'm not sure if that still holds or not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:24:17 AM PDT
widowTink says:
Dude, maybe she really LIKES turtles! Perhaps she WANTS a turtle! Don't make such judgements! I would be absolutely THRILLED if my husband bought me an Iguana or quite frankly anything with a heartbeat. I'm a critter gal. G.Card's girl might be a critter gal, too.

There are many of us with that Snow White/Elly May Clampett thing going on....................

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 4:48:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 9, 2012 7:18:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 8:05:25 PM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
...why be an ass? o.0

What did she say to you that was so personal by chance?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 10:16:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 9, 2012 7:18:45 PM PDT]

Posted on May 3, 2012 10:42:33 PM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
Her smack was pretty minimal, yours was flat out mean.

Her telling you not to judge all women as being unlikely to want a pet, had nothing on you essentially telling her her marriage was a fluke...and that her husband was thinking of other women, and only married her because he knocked her up.

...you definitely won the ass award in that arena. : P

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 12:25:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 12:28:04 AM PDT
... says:
Pot meet kettle!
You asked, s/he explained - and then you have to start handing out awards????
I would guess they should give out TWO awards because you followed up with an attack of your own after what seemed to be a very reasonable explanation.
WHy is it when someone attacks someone else, they expect that person to play by their rules? If someone kicks you, are you only then allowed to kick the other person?

Of course not!

If the other poster did not want to be attacked, maybe she should have refrained from doing so first. Who are WE to judge or attempt to dictate the level of that person's retaliation?

Finally someone decided that they don't have to take all the so called subtle jabs.
I applaude!

Move along folks, there is nothing to see here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 1:00:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 1:14:54 AM PDT
Autumnrayne says:
I gave my nieces a turtle. They were able to find a really good tank at their local second hand store. Myself. I recently upgraded my two box turtles tank- (which personally I think are a better choice for a kid. Easier to care for. Mostly a land turtle so they can take it out an play with it on the floor etc) anyway, I went on Craigslist. You'll find some FANTASTIC tanks on there and for a 40 gal tank pay UNDER $100. You just have to clean it good and they'll never know it's second hand. If you have any other questions about turtles there's a website called: Turtletimes.com it will cover ANY questions you might have about care, feeding, types of turtles, VERY TURTLE SPECIFIC which comes in really handy at times. Also, for kids, land vs water, land will actually live longer. The red earred sliders you always see at petsmart are really NOT for kids. Kids can't comprehend all the work water turtles need. specific climate etc. And many water turtles die much sooner than they should. Where land turtles don't get sick as easily and will live a long time and are easier to care for. Just my two cents on what to get for a kid. A Russian Box Tortoise would be good. Or like I gave my nieces after they saw mine- An Eastern Box Turtle. Males are always brighter usually having red eyes in both species. Females have a duller a bit flatter shell and brown eyes. Males also have longer tails than females. Just a bit more info to help you pick out and decide.

Whoops!!! Here I am going on and on about kids and turtles! I thought you were buying for a kid. Teach me to read a post better next time!!! But the same infos good for a Turtle beginner.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 1:03:31 AM PDT
Autumnrayne says:
UHHH, Unless of course she LOVES his turtles and has expressed interest in having one herself... I personally would LOVE to get a turtle as a gift. I'm female. I already have two Eastern Box Turtles. Don't put every woman into a one lump catagory!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 1:06:30 AM PDT
Autumnrayne says:
Nope just certain species. Some are becomming endangered and hit the lists but there are plenty other small turtles that aren't on the lists. Eastern Box Turtles (which I have two of) and Russian Tortoises. Those are two I know for sure!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 1:09:27 AM PDT
Autumnrayne says:
YOU SOB! Twofingers peace!!!!! How DARE you say to a woman she needs a better relationship with her husband!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS LIKE! Do you gave a girlfriend??? Cuz the way you talk on here... I'm guessin' not!
Jerk!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:02:53 AM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
I know when I lived in Norfolk, someone was giving a little guy away at the doorstep of a pet store...I called and it turned out he was on the list, so I gave him to local rescue for turtles.

...I believe he was a tiny little baby box turtle of some sort.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:06:32 AM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
So, an explanation...is not an excuse.

You obviously were the type to let the other kids be picked on by bullies in school right? o.0

...just stood around and watched, maybe even cheered?

Well, I wasn't...and if I see someone treating another like crap, I will stand up for that person.

...you don't like that, I don't care. >.>

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:07:09 AM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
Oh be careful, apparently sticking up for another human being is taboo among many. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:09:48 AM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
Oh, and did you even read the two posts in question?

...because someone telling another not to be judgmental, and explaining why they shouldn't be.

Is a VERY subtle jab, if one at all. LOL

Nothing subtle at all in the reply.

...so now why don't you move along, and follow your own advice? o.0

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 10:29:58 AM PDT
widowTink says:
He DID get me a parakeet. He bought me time swimming with dolphins. We live in a senior community and can't have a zoo. We're thinking of what pets would be good for our grandchildren. Sounds like you assume too much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 11:17:14 AM PDT
Asuigeneris1 says:
Don't sweat it, apparently some people think that pretty much anything gives them the right to just make nasty mean crap up on a whim...and others think that it's fine to go along with that, all bullies have their wimpy sidekicks. LOL

...but some of us don't abide by that.

A few of us will make sure that their nastiness was noted.

I was able to take my kids swimming with the dolphins once in Xcaret, that was truly amazing...you feel like you are being granted something truly special and life-altering, you must have loved it too.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2012
Latest post:  May 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions