Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Why Amazon Prime sucks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 307 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 25, 2012 8:08:48 AM PDT
Araminta says:
Wow - I did not know all this of Steve Jobs though it shouldn't surprise me. I don't have a Kindle and don't intend to have one - yes I am a holdout - but I can see how it would be handy if you were in the hospital for a time. For Jobs to do that speaks volumes about his true character. Thanks for that information!

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:42:51 AM PDT
What I don't like a about Amazon prime is it they don't tell you that's it been a year. You have to put it in a calendar to know when they are gonna take the 80 bucks out of your account. I would appreciate if Amazon would be willing to send an email saying would you like to renew?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:06:54 AM PDT
Well you can't ship late on a Saturday. The company might not have working working on a Saturday. As soon as Friday afternoon hits most of those orders will be saved for Monday. Keep in mind most people get paid on Thursday or Friday.

This most likely means that on Monday or Tuesday your package will ship. Personally i find that it's best to use the free option on friday rather than the 2 day option. Monday-Wednesday are the best days for the 2-day option.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:20:17 PM PDT
"... This most likely means that on Monday or Tuesday your package will ship."
What???
I have ordered late Friday night, anytime on Saturday and on Sunday during the day. I ALWAYS get an email on Sunday night saying my package has shipped. My package usually arrives Monday (sometimes Tuesday but no later) and this is when I choose Two-Day Free shipping.

Maybe I misread the post, but I totally disagree with what was said. Amazon Prime is FANTASTIC!! Nuf said.

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:06:01 PM PDT
Araminta says:
If I order a Prime item before a certain time on Friday, my package will arrive Monday. Anytime after that it arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday, I think because Sunday doesn't count as a ship day. This doesn't matter to me because it is free shipping anyway and even if it does take 4 days after date ordered to arrive, that's still a lot faster than most places ship!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 4:53:06 PM PDT
I have made orders on Saturday night and received shipment shipped notification on Sunday. As far as I am concerned the fast free shipping is worth every penny. Not every package is at my door in 36 hours but as I said in a previous post, I have ordered very late on Tuesday night (actually in the early hours of Wednesday) and I have received my packages before noon on Thursday. I really think that is worth it for me.

Of course the shipping portion of the Amazon Prime may not be for everyone. just like the lending library with 12 free books to borrow every year (one per month) or the tv shows and movies might not be for some.

Usually if someone asks me, I tell them about the three basic components of Amazon Prime and they are the only ones who can say if membership is good for them and their family.

What most people I talk to don't know is the terrific Customer Service that Amazon provides. I have only needed it a handful pf times, but each and every time they exceeded my expectations. These days THAT means a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:02:09 PM PDT
Araminta,

There is a thread somewhere in here that Is titled something like "Kindle Cost's More Than a Paperback" (or wording close to that :)) Although there seem to be a couple of "planted" posters, there is a poster who has provided me and others with links to the whole "Cartel" issue.

Have a great holiday.

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:16:57 PM PDT
Araminta says:
Thank you Nancy; I am curious now and will search for that thread. Happy Memorial Day!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:29:07 PM PDT
Araminta

Oops I forgot to tell you the name of the poster. His screen name is Seer.
Hope it helps!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 6:01:54 PM PDT
Araminta says:
Thanks! I''ve been searching but have not yet found the thread. I'll keep up the search and keep my eyes peeled for Seer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:58:18 PM PDT
I worked in a mail room and our job was dependent on getting mail and then processing it. Anyways I was just saying that the person might think it takes 5 days to ship. But if the company doesn't work on Saturday and Sunday and processes the order on Monday and ships it on Monday it's only a 2 day shipping. Personally I think the two click works best on Monday-Wednesday. But Thursday-Sunday it might be best just do the priority mail.

I try to buy from stores that are closet to me or stores that are close to a major city.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 7:48:07 AM PDT
Geobrick says:
I noticed this for the first time today. An LED bulb was priced $3 higher than another one. Both free shipping but prime was free 2-day shipping. Both are "sold by" G-Power but the prime item says "Fulfillment by Amazon". Same product, same seller, higher price for prime. I don't normally see this kind of thing. Yes, sometimes items from other sellers are cheaper but in this case it's the same seller. Are they saying that fulfillment by Amazon costs more because you can get it in 2 days with prime? That defeats the purpose of paying upfront for prime. Maybe it's an oversight. I'd provide a link but it would be useless 2 days from now.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 2:27:04 PM PDT
AmandaFae42 says:
I just got Amazon prime. I thought it would replace my NetFlix account but all of the movies I have looked up so far are not free..just old ones. I am so glad Amazon lets you get you money back if you haven'y used your account yet.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 2:13:47 PM PST
Derek says:
I think Prime is great for retail, but as far as the the free video's, etc., they seem to be going down hill. Their search options are horrible. You get 12 results for a query, though you have 100's of pages or 1000's of results. How do you get to them? Keep hitting next hundreds of times? If someone knows how to view more than 12 listings at a time, please tell me. When we're talking 1000's of options, there needs to be quick ways to browse, unless you already know what you're looking for. But if you just want to browse for something interesting, what good is it to have 100,000 listings limited to 12 options at a time?

Also, there is a lot of uproar started online about new Android tablets having trouble accessing Amazon's prime membership video's. I'm not sure if it's a Flash issue or what. Regardless, it seems Amazon has the technology for it as they gave it to Apple, and of course it's on the Kindle Fire.

Other than that, Amazon Prime is great. If they would make their Instant movies area more user friendly, and provide the technology for customers to watch their products without having to find "secret" workarounds, then Amazon would be the full package and get a lot more customer base, IMO.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 12:11:56 AM PST
Prime for retail is great and many items I purchase I can get in a few days, even though I don't need them that quickly.

However, I mostly signed up for Prime for the video's. For picture quality, its very consistent with its HD resolution for me, unlike Netflix where picture quality can sometimes be spotty. The big problem is the terrible search options. When in your computer browser, it is ok at best. But the app for the television is horrendous. Unless I know exactly what I want to watch, I could waste half my viewing time searching. Its not even the amount of free videos compared to those you pay for. The whole process is just a chore. A major pain. They can really take a hint from Netflix for designing a better app. At least I see they have added a "Watchlist" queue for your internet browser. Too bad it doesn't transfer to all your devices, again unlike Netflix. Just design a better more useful app. The one for Netflix is worlds better and more useful

I am debating on discontinuing the service when it is up for that reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 7:40:15 AM PST
LegoGirl says:
Charles: the Watchlist is actually available on many more devices than just the browser (see link below for details).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201112550

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 7:52:03 AM PST
Thank you LegoGirl for the link. Unfortunately it isn't available for my television (a Vizio). Much appreciated though!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 11:40:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 28, 2013 12:56:32 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 4:20:00 PM PDT
Watched a movie during my amazon prime trial. Good movie but i was hoping to find (using "Video Finder") more up to date stuff. Movies in amazon prime are either really old, or low rated with like 3 to 2 stars out of 5. The newer stuff they show you is low rated and the old movies, some are rated 4 to 5 stars, but... they're old. I don't want to sit around and watch old movies all year. Everything available to watch free is just BLAHHHH. blah blah blah stuff.

I looked extensively through the amazon prime selection for hours. Took me forever just to pick something to watch. Couldn't find much newer stuff. To much old or low rated stuff. Boring.

"Prime" . . . ha. That's funny. More like "old". Really really old! And... A LOT of movies that you can watch freely under netflix membership is available here as 2,3,4 and 5 dollar rentals, so... that's WAAAYYY more money out of pocket over time! And... some of the best of the best and most popular movies... here they are only available to buy, where-as under netflix membership, popular dvds can be sent to you in the mail and returned. So... that's still less money out of pocket over time. Amazon Prime is just BLAH! Yep!

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 1:54:39 PM PDT
Amazon prime is AWESOME. If you need stuff fast, it pays for itself quickly, not to mention, if you can wait, you can get it shipped for free, well, divided by that $80 over the course of a year, it comes out pretty good if you buy a lot of stuff like I do.

I also watch a lot of movies and stuff, and you also get a ton of free movies with prime, yeah, I also have neflix, but it's nice to have choices IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 2:55:28 PM PDT
Derek says:
Then answer my original question: If you search for a genre in movies, for instance, why does prime only allow you to scroll through the sometimes 100's+ populated options at about 10 or so at a time. All they have to do is allow quick access to the full list, not hit next after the first 10, wait for it to populate, then hit next for the next 10, wait, and so on, when there are 736 movies that supposedly populated. Give me the list and let me scroll through all 736. They need to have someone actually try the system, not just some software nerd making programs for inefficiency. This is my honest opinion.

Small tweaks could make it SOOOO much better. The shipping side of the coin is fantastic!

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 8:25:57 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 12:52:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2013 12:54:29 PM PDT
lost_gecko says:
To Derek and others,
Amazon page design, especially the search results, seem to assume everyone has a super fast internet connection. Their QA testers probably have super fast internet connection, along with the rest of the company. Meanwhile, the customers who order most frequently are likely those in rural areas with limited shopping choices, and slow internet and/or time limited internet.

Hmmm, I see we have wondered off the original subject of this discussion. Maybe someone could start a new discussion named something like 'Things That Annoy While Shopping Here'.

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 11:24:34 AM PDT
Mrs. W says:
Joined Prime this month with the free trial. The 79.00 will more than pay for itself within a month for me. I work full time and my time off is precious. I use Amazon all the time and it has been rare that I was disappointed with anything. Amazon always makes good on anything you are not satisfied with and Prime is a real valuable service. Wish I would have signed up years ago.
DJW

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 10:04:07 PM PDT
Are you kidding me? I agree with the nearly 300 other posters who LOVE PRIME. I can
- order today and have it in two days
- know that my order is not going to cost any more than face value
- not worry about the heavy item, like a generator I sent to my son in Louisville during a storm!
- order as gifts for friends all over the country.
- track arrival
- always have it packed well
- allow me to shop with confidence for the cheapest price without going all over town
- make me a hero to my employees when I order for them or the office and have it in two days - there.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  206
Total posts:  307
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2011
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions