Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Time for a Made in America search option.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 401-425 of 574 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 24, 2012 8:09:06 PM PDT
Amazon already has this functionality built in. Just sort by price, highest to lowest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 3:06:14 PM PDT
Just Tom says:
Answer in America..... My City has lost over 10,000 jobs with the loss of our call centers in the past ten years.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 7:44:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 7:50:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 8:24:26 PM PDT
Just Tom says:
Let me correct your message:
Hello, mt PROFFESSION is, medical aesthicS field, then aprrove THEM,

We do not have a global market place, the problem is our local providers of items we purchase are manufactured in other countries. Walmart was under the buy American promotion in the 1990's, how that has changed.

And to be labeled as made in the USA it must have finally assembly in the USA.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:26:17 PM PDT
kerryberry says:
Great idea. I am always looking at labels to identify where the product I am buying is from. With China's abominable environmental and labor practices, I do everything I can NOT to purchase anything from that country. I would strongly support such an effort and would pass information about it on to all of my friends and family. Please consider, Amazon.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 7:48:36 PM PDT
David Rolfe says:
Give me a choice and I'll buy American. In too many cases I have no choice.

(On the political angle, I wish our leaders would face the tough questions as to why it's become uneconomical to manufacture domestically; instead they mostly blame and subsidize, neither of which addresses the root problem. We've got to make it possible for a manufacturer to operate profitably on our shores; we can't just command them to do so.)

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 7:02:36 PM PDT
Excellent idea! Long overdue...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 3:29:17 AM PDT
Jay Wong says:
What era are you from? Orient?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 6:54:18 AM PDT
Orient actually means "East". So I guess they're manufactured East of here. :)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:40:03 PM PDT
"Yay!" for protectionism and overturning American Ricardian convictions!

I am all for more search/filtering criteria. But if such, than "made without child labor" and "made with sustainable sourced materials" or "produced with ethical corporate financing" would be more important to me than just overturning free trade and open markets. If these criteria were considered the jobs would naturally return to America.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 5:44:40 PM PDT
Poor fit clothing has nothing to do with where it is made, but with who is the brand that designs and orders the clothing.
European brands also source in South East Asia, but those brands fit well.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:29:08 PM PDT
wavedeva says:
I was at Home Depot buying paint brushes. The Made in America brush was $2.00 more; that was $2.00 I can afford to pay to keep my fellow Americans employed! Would be great if Amazon had a "Made-in American" search feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:50:57 PM PDT
Is there a price threshold for you? I get it that $2 was fine with you but does your perspective change when the percentage does? What if the discrepancy was $20 or $200?
Your reply to Twofingers peace's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:27:36 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
I will Buy American. I DO buy American. I will pay More for American. I HAVE paid more for American.

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:17:51 AM PDT
David Rolfe says:
For daily shoes, I wear American-made New Balance Men's MR993 Running Shoes (also available for women and kids). These days I don't know of any domestic supply of t-shirts in my size (tall, which limits the selection). But I'm pleased to have found a source of American-made socks and underwear! I don't think this outfit sells through Amazon, but you can find Union House underwear at unionlabel dot com. One day I'm gonna set up a checkpoint, and stop everyone and confiscate their foreign clothing. So you'd better stock up on that American underwear before that happens! By the way, Trager brand backpacks and luggage are also USA-made. I use my Trager backpack every day.

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:44:56 AM PDT
I totally agree, I want to know exactly where the items I buy come from, what they are made of, and where their individual parts are made. This used to be standard information. Now, merchants and/or manufacturers are making the information difficult to find, if not impossible. They are doing this I believe because they know we don't want to buy certain things from certain countries. It's our money and it's our health and wellbeing. We have every right to this information. We have to demand it and refuse to buy goods when we cannot identify where they are made, it's that simple.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 2:03:53 PM PDT
SandyInIndy says:
THANK YOU Very Much for this link. One does need to be careful when asking if "made" in USA. When the pet food scare was recalling food, Purina said not only is their pet food "made" in USA, but also grown here. I think it is going to take a long time to "Dig U.S. out", but if unions would get out of the way it would be a lot easier. China has too many problems with what they send over here: pet food to baby food, there's a problem. Made in America by Americans!!

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:28:01 PM PDT
ThAdEa says:
50%+ and 100% made in america search options would be a nice start

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:51:09 PM PDT
Emily says:
This is an example of Made in USA (South Carolina) we sell on Amazon and we are proud of that because we hired 2 people.I'll Love You Forever I'll Like You Always As Long As I'm Living My Mommy You'll Be

Posted on May 3, 2012 6:30:21 AM PDT
I AGREE--THAT IS MY BENCHMARK FOR WHAT TO BUY. MADE IN CHINA = NO BUY....Amazon needs to include this option!

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:33:52 AM PDT
Pat says:
Some people have mentioned Etsy, but Artfire is another great community with handmade goods.

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:16:36 AM PDT
Heidi says:
Absolutely! +1 !!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 4:55:22 PM PDT
Thank you for the tip re ArtFire. I've never heard of them, and I've just now bought a bracelet of a design I've been looking for, for six months or more! Thank you.
Jimmie Ellis

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:26:53 PM PDT
Just FYI, I'm a manufacturer, and I've looked into getting the "Made in USA" label for my products. I've found out that the definition is terribly political, and my products, which are completely manufactured and packaged here in the USA, don't qualify for the label because I can't trace every single ingredient to our nation's soil. Nor would I want to. The high quality ingredients I'm getting necessarily come from ecosystems from around the world--places where they can be raised sustainably without altering or disturbing existing ecosystems.

My company is supporting a small village in Africa to do sustainable harvesting of legal crops without destroying any other resources. The plants that they're harvesting from are *nuisances* here in the U.S., and their chemical compositions change when they come over here so that they aren't as well suited to the needs of my product.

I'm all for American jobs. I can't wait to grow my company so that I can hire, hire, hire! But the "Made in the U.S.A." label is never going to apply to my products because of my environmental convictions, which in turn are good for both to my country and the rest of the world. I'm at peace with that. It would be very short-sighted for someone to not buy my products because they can't carry that label. We're an American company on the forefront of innovation, producing jobs here in the heartland. We are committed to putting together the highest quality product we can, and that means sourcing our botanicals from the local ecosystems that are best suited to those plants--usually the places where those plants are indigenous. If that environmental stance and quality conviction takes us out of the running for your hard-earned dollar, then there's something wrong with the system.

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:42:52 AM PDT
Ms. Professor, of course we are always going to buy products of good quality that are indigenous to another country. What we are against are shoddy and dangerous products, the outsourcing of goods that can certainly be made in the U.S., and indeed, once were. I don't know what your products are, but we certainly understand that certain components only come from other countries. I for one would love to know what it is you manufacture.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  412
Total posts:  574
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 69 customers

Search Customer Discussions