Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Alcoholism and being a Alcoholic

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-40 of 40 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 2:14:53 AM PDT
S. Fleming says:
Dr. John,

Many valid points. A.A is not the only treatment in town. What do you think about Rogerian Reality/Choice? Not to offend, but A.A.'s religious roots come from an early group that went by the name "The Oxford Group".

Dr. Sue

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:25:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:12:08 PM PDT]

Posted on May 23, 2012 10:57:29 AM PDT
Barry aka says:
Chose life.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:48:56 PM PDT
I stopped drinking too and there is a big void in my life. I don't really feel the same, kinda not associating like I used to. I'm not the person I used to be.

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:37:35 AM PDT
congrats on you 4 years being sober! i am with an alcoholic myself. i have begged him to go to AA but he refuses, saying it won't help. it's hard being with an alcoholic and some people in here seem to look down on AA but they all have crazy wild ideas.. i went to AA with my mom when i was just a kid and it was a great environment. i only hope one day my hubby can find the strength you have to overcome this disease. i know you are not a God-loving person, but i do want to say God bless and may the blessings continue on your journey through life.

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:36:25 PM PDT
Human says:
Alchohol addiction, sex addiction, shoe addiction, gun addiction, gambling addiction, etc. etc. etc. Sorry, but I don't buy it. These things are not diseases or addictions. I have no sympathy for anyone that thinks they are. These are choices. If your friends go away because you are one of the above or a "recovering" one of the above... that is your own doing.

You want to lose friends? How about brain cancer, traumatic brain injury, flesh eating viruses, etc. ? You will lose everyone and everything, and these are not choices. These people I have sympathy for. The lives of these people are often times over. Done.

You need some perspective and should consider yourself lucky. You can make new friends and live a different life than you used to. A lot of people can't.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:29:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 2:38:08 PM PDT
Congratulations. I think AA people lose friends because it makes their friends look at themselves and they don't like that. It's like anything else - when you change what you do or what you like, you will make new friends.
There is also a program called Celebrate Recovery similar to AA, for all addictions. It is based on The Beatitudes in the Bible. Keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 4:02:49 PM PDT
CDaniels says:
Ever read A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K Dick? Or perhaps the movie A Scanner Darkly?

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:18:53 AM PDT
S. Midling says:
Maybe I am not the one to to be giving suggestions since I don't currently have a problem with alcohol.

I just want to say that if you have enough self control to go 4 years without alcohol then you probably have enough character and mental discipline to have one drink and that's all. I have a friend who had a problem with alcohol, he quit and now he is the friend I respect the most as far as alcohol is concerned. He has had a few drinks since but he's not buying a bottle of whiskey every day. I think the whole Off/on the wagon thing is more damaging than helpful to some people because they see it as a black and white situation, which it's not. I would like to see an organization or program for alcoholics which teaches self control rather than radical abstinence, that way if you have one drink you don't go into a guilt spiral and aggravate your problem. You could always try drinks like Kombucha, which contain up to 1% and are fizzy so it's very similar to alcoholic drinks only much healthier. I know this is bad advice for some but I know there are recovering alcoholics out there who can handle a glass of wine on the weekend without going on a bender after their first sip. I personally like to set limits, I will just have one beer and that's all...if I notice myself craving another one it actually puts me in check because I think "Uh oh, I need to watch how much I'm drinking and why do I need more, what will it do for me?"

As far as friends, sometimes it's good to lose friends who aren't in synch with your perceptions of life and the associated activities. If you have a friend who pressures you to drink because they are or because they want you to have "fun" just politely remind them that you aren't into it and if they persist then remove yourself from the situation. A previous poster had it right on the money: "Misery loves company" I can't count the number of drunk phone calls or inappropriate situations where a drunk as a skunk friend has showed up at 2am and caused me a personal inconvenience but I won't lecture them on the evils of their ways I will simply talk about things in life I have found enjoyable that are wholesome and rewarding and maybe throw in a quip or two about how alcoholism makes it more difficult to achieve.

Best of luck to you all and remember: You are the only one who can decide what to do, that kind of power is much greater than you know and can take a lifetime to understand.

Posted on May 27, 2012 11:22:08 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
I've just returned from the vacation from hell. I've discovered my sister has multiple addictions: alcohol, gambling, smoking, meth. We had a horrible confrontation, and now I'm scared for her life. I'm in Northern Cal and she's in Southern Cal. The trip to Disneyland was terrible....I even had to apologize for her when she became nasty to some castmembers because we couldn't get into Club 33 (a "millionaires" exclusive club in the Park). Now I fear for her life, she's so out of control. I've already contacted Al-Anon for some advice. And contrary to what the heartless "human" says up above, these addictions ARE diseases. I wish I could help her, but I realize she has to help herself.

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:24:22 PM PDT
How, exactly, is this a topic related to gift ideas? You have an entire internet available for random personal topics, including probably an infinite amount of whole forums devoted to the topic of alcoholism. There's no reason why you have to be hideously off topic here.
Your reply to David Vallner's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:21:55 PM PDT
interesting discussion! I've been sober for 33 years now. got sober in AA, without them - I'd be dead. I no longer go to meetings but am very grateful they were there when I needed them. They taught me to live and I still use the principals I was taught. I don't consider myself 'self-absorbed', I'm way too involved in the world around me for that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 6:02:20 PM PDT
S. Fleming says:
This is a personal question, hope you don't mind...what is your age? Just curious. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 8:33:37 PM PDT
one invaluable lesson I learned in AA was to NOT be self-absorbed. I couldn't count the times when, feeling sorry for myself, someone would tell me to go help someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:38:06 PM PDT
S. Fleming says:
That is the premise of A.A. One alcoholic helping another. You sound like a cool kinda A.A. woman.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Wish list vs Shopping list 42 7 hours ago
Shipping to a different address 16 1 day ago
Amazon smile program (Amazon donates to charity when you shop) 491 1 day ago
Best gift ideas 0 2 days ago
Time for a Made in America search option. 580 2 days ago
º°"~`"°☜♥☞ D€aℓ$ & Chaţ ☜♥☞º°"~`"°º 513 2 days ago
Trying to buy something for someone's wishlist, only able to ship to myself? 3 2 days ago
How do I find out who gift is from? 49 4 days ago
how do u see if something has been bought for you from wishlist? 7 5 days ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests that show that homosexuality is caused by parental neglect! Book makes a very great gift! 35 9 days ago
Give as gift button 4 12 days ago
Does Amazon send receipts by mail to billing address?? 23 13 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 1, 2010
Latest post:  May 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions