Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Christmas for a 25 yr. old son

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2009 7:44:31 AM PST
What can I get for my 25 yr. old son in the navy? He says all he wants is money, but I have to get him something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2009 8:40:59 AM PST
Maybe a cheap little MP3 player? Just got one for my brother for about $20. Or a magazine subscription?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2009 8:49:29 AM PST
My husband is 26. His mom gave him a $20 gift card to Amazon. He's had a wonderful time finding what he wants and waiting for free shipping for it. The gift was a little more personal and will be spent on something we didn't have money for without it, but it gave him the freedom to choose what he wanted off his wish list. Your son may enjoy a different store other than Amazon, but a gift card to a favorite store has made my husband's month! - Verity

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 8:55:29 AM PST
PhoenixAsh21 says:
Navy just beat up Army in Philadelphia's Army/Navy game this past weekend. Maybe some memoribilia from the game if he's into Football - hats and shirts should be out there.

I really liked the suggestion for an MP3 player.

If you want to get him something service related, you might check out RangerJoes.com or CheaperThanDirt.com or BrigadeQuatermasters.com. They are all sites that specialize in military equipment. I know that when I was in the Army there was no shortage of stuff that would have made my life easier as a soldier that I just couldn't afford.

You would want to check with him to see if it's something he would need, and also something his unit will allow him to use (some units don't allow black Underarmor shirts, for example) but you'll find no shortage of gift ideas at those sites.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your sacrifice. The government trains us servicemembers to do what we do in the military, but no one ever trains the moms how to handle it when their son is in the military. I wish you and your family a safe and blessed Christmas season.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 9:38:56 AM PST
Sis says:
The MP3 player. The guys at the office (all gov't) also say gift cards to gamestop or best buy.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 10:16:21 AM PST
Why not send him the money he asked for and also a package of his favorite goodies from childhood? The money gives him freedom to do whatever...and I think the homemade things will bring all the warmth you want to give him. Thank you for your family's service to our country and for your countless sacrafices and wishing you a very merry christmas!

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 10:23:25 AM PST
George says:
The best present will be if you get there personally and spent some time (if ti's allowed) with him...I'm sure he misses you..Best wishes

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 10:50:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2009 10:51:05 AM PST
Hank says:
Oh come on people. As a 25 year old male myself, let me tell you if my mother bought me a $20 MP3 player I would be sincerely upset with the sales associate that jobbed her into it.

Obviously you are the only person on here that knows your son's tastes; but just to be totally stereotypical about guys my age...

- Sports: Did he go to the Naval Academy? Try to get him tickets to a future Navy football game. What is his favorite sport/team? A couple of tickets to a game for his favorite team is a great present. At 25 he is probably a little old for a jersey, but if he has a favorite NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB team a nice New Era hat would be good, or perhaps a hoodie.

- Video Games: Chances are good that your son has at least some interest in video games. You need to figure out two things; 1. What systems does he have?, and 2. What genre of games does he like? I would think a good gift for someone on deployments (since he is in the Navy) would be a handheld system like the Nintendo DS or the Sony PSP. If he already has one of those systems you can get him some games.

- Movies/TV Shows: If your son has a favorite TV show that he follows, you can get him a box set of the latest season. Likewise, if he has a Blu-Ray player, Blu-Rays are something that are popular with guys his age.

- Music: Let's assume that your son already has either an MP3 player or a computer. Get him an iTunes gift card and he can pick out his own songs.

- Camera: If he doesn't already have a decent digital camera, this would be something to look into, especially if he is doing a lot of traveling. Remember to get an SD card as well.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 11:14:57 AM PST
TiVo says:
iTunes gift card, nice carry-on luggage, or a North Face jacket or backpack would probably be appreciated. My hubby is 24, and that's pretty much his wish list... well... that and the Modern Warfare new video game.

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 7:26:40 PM PST
M. Swanson says:
I second what Hank said about the cheap mp3 player. definite no.
I'm a 26 year old female with a 25 year old boyfriend, and there is nothing wrong with cash! It might seem insincere in some circles, but when you are in your 20's, cash is super. Just please don't buy something just for the sake of giving him an object. I'm picky about electronics, so I'd rather pick something out myself rather than receive something random as a gift. a camera would be iffy for me, unless YOU do the research to make sure it's not crap.
Gift cards are fine, but can be lost easily or only partially used and then forgotten about. iTunes giftcard is fine, good for iphone apps and rings, though I don't use it for music because of the protection put on the files. Amazon also does music and I believe you can share those files with friends if needed.
but remember, there is nothing wrong with cash and a lovely handwritten card to carry it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 7:44:14 AM PST
E. Santiago says:
awesome suggestion. a $20 MP3 player. just what every 26 yr old male wants.

/sarcasm off

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2009 7:53:46 AM PST
Donna says:
I'm getting my 23 yr. old brother a tie featuring his favorite football team logo. I've got another brother in the air force, and I'm getting him a silver eagle or phoenix pendant. There are several neat one's to choose from on amazon, just be careful to check the shipping dates.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 7:59:21 AM PST
If my 25 year old son said all he wanted was money. I would get a beautiful Christmas card and write a loving poem of my own to my son telling him what he means to me and our family and put it in with the card and give him the money.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 9:03:20 AM PST
Nic says:
Don't just get him money. A gift card shows that you care a little more than a check does. If he likes video games, get him a gift card to gamestop. The $20 dollar mp3 player is not a good idea. If he's your son, you probably care a little more about him than getting him a cheap plastic mp3 player. If he already has an iPod, get him iTunes money. If its a video iPod or an iTouch, he can get movies for it with the gift card. I love iTunes gift cards. If he doesn't have an mp3 player, get him an iPod. They are not cheap in quality, and you can always get a warranty for it if something goes wrong with it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 2:26:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2009 2:38:01 PM PST
C. Nicholson says:
As a 27 yr old guy I would I like Darcy Lansing's suggestion and Hank's suggestion about a portable gaming device, but if you can't afford the $200 price tag of something like that try a decent mp3/video player, a Bestbuy salesman should be good about helping you with that since they know their stuff and dont work on commision so they wont pressure you. If you go with a mp3/video player make sure that it plays .mp3 and .avi files since those are the most universal. An I-Tunes gift card maybe but only if he already has an I-POD or I-PHONE since thats really the only thing they can be used on (I-Tunes are .mp4 files that are not universal) I got my friends cigar cases and beer glasses but thats because we all get together to watch movies or play videogames while we smoke and drink beer. Honestly I'm just asking my mother for money this yr., but I'm also hoping for a couple blu-ray movies, "The Hangover" (unrated edition ofcourse), and "Terminator Salvation".

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 7:33:01 AM PST
Dana says:
Give him the cash he asked for... but also give him a favorite treat for that extra special touch. Bake him something, get a case of his favorite candy or gum at Sam's, or whatever floats his boat. My husband's mother gives him cans of black olives because that's one of his favorite things..... There is probably some odd little something that he really loves but doesn't always buy even though it's cheap. (For me it's black jelly beans, LOL)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 7:50:49 AM PST
GW™ says:
Deb,

I gave this to my Navy guy & it has paid off "big time" when we are
canooldling.

Knots: Step-by-Step Instructions for Tying More Than 50 Knots

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 11:18:01 AM PST
K. Morgan says:
uncommongoods.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 2:16:19 PM PST
How about a couple copies of his favorite OLD TV shows ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 3:09:02 PM PST
JeighJeigh says:
I have a 25 year old daughter and a 23 year old son. Great gifts include itunes gift card, sound dock/speakers for mp3 player,

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 5:27:33 PM PST
I like the idea of a portable dvd player, but if he already has a laptop, then nix that idea.

If you just want to give him money, why not put it into a nice leather wallet. While you are at it place a nice photo of you and his dad and/or other important family members inside of the picture sleeves. In this way you can be in his heart and his pocket.

This option gives him what he asked for but also gives him the loving touch that mom's just naturally want to do.

Not sure how far Marshalls or TJMaxx would be from you but they usually have nice designer wallets (Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger etc) for $20.00 or less.

The post office usually advises against sending cash, I know you did not specifically say that you were going to mail his gift, but if you are, I would also suggest a postal money order as it can be cashed at ANY post office for FREE. Your son would only need his ID card to do so. They cost about $1.00 (or less) and if it is lost or stolen, it is easily replaced.

I also loved the idea of the nintendo ds and the psp but would caution against the pspGo since that particular system can only be used to play DOWNLOADED games.
The nintendo ds (and dsi) along with the psp will allow him to play games for years to come as new games are constantly being added to the libraries of both systems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 6:40:50 PM PST
Ewwwww - seriously - that suggestion to his mother?

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 6:44:19 PM PST
Jane Doe had the best idea! Guys usually have old, ugly, worn out wallets. A nice leather wallet with family pictures and a nice note from you in it with the money would be great. Bake him some cookies or a favorite treat to go with it. He knows you love him, but he's a guy. They really don't get the thought and care we put into their gifts at that age. If you want him to have something nice, throw in some extra money or a Best Buy or Amazon gift card so he can choose something he likes in addition to the cash. He will appreciate it and it will score a lot of points with him since he knows you listened to what he really wanted!

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 10:32:34 PM PST
~I would say send him a photo album and a digital cam is he dose not have one
~A photo album and cash if he has a camera
~Look at the movie night gift basket on amazon
~The Men's Hugo smells lovely
~Box set of a way good show like "6 feet under"
~Visa gift card
~Book about Father Son Bonding with money in it
~Portable DVD player
Ideas from a 26yo girl who shops for a 25yo boy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 6:04:11 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 7, 2010 11:45:14 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions