Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Need ideas for gift for a whole family.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2011 9:44:49 PM PST
J. Love says:
I'm currently laid-off from my job and have a new baby so money is kind of tight this holiday season. So I'm looking to get my brother's family a "family gift" rather than a gift for each of them. (Mom, Dad, 13 year old, 12 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old....so big family!)

I want to get them something decent but inexpensive and easily shipped since they're in South Carolina and I'm in California.

I thought maybe movies or video games, but I have no idea what all they have plus it is hard pleasing the teens and the young ones and brother and sister in law would kind of be left out of that. And then I looked at the food gifts on some other sites and they just always looked sort of chintzy for the price.

I'm open to most anything and don't mind doing a little 'leg work' to get the right stuff.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 9:48:46 PM PST
A good idea would be family night box of goodies. Include personalized popcorn bowl with microwaveable popcorn, movie size candy, uno cards, board game, electronic game, book and/or gift card to movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 10:44:31 PM PST
J. Love says:
Great idea about the board games & cards...something to put into my gift closet...I'm sure there are some deals on games this season. :)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 1:44:09 AM PST
Customer says:
If you're thinking of getting that new Skylanders game, watch out, because it only has two-player and not four.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 6:56:58 AM PST
I always enjoyed the holiday fruit box from Henry and David. Fruit is enjoyed by all ages and your family will surely be thinking of you as they enjoy their fresh fruit. I live in Maine, so the fruit is much appreciated. This may not be as popular for those living in S. Carolina.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:31:30 AM PST
Grasshopper says:
How about a gift box for winter nights:
-A warm throw (could be personalized with family name)
- A a smore's maker and all the fixings or a whirlipop popcorn popper and popcorn/seasoning assortment
- A tin of hot cocoa, and a set of mugs that suit their style. The mugs, too, could be personalized easily. - check Personal Creations website or Etsy. Or, World Market has neat sets of 6 stacking mugs for a great price right now.
-Maybe a board game or card game that could suit all ages. If they don't have a Jenga set, that is a good "coffee table game" for the ages of kids they have. The little kids use the pieces as building blocks, while the older kids and grown ups can play the game.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:38:06 AM PST
Melody Mayes says:
Don't forget to use a USPS flat rate box so no matter how much it weighs the cost is the same. My best package had contents of things that brought back memories for my siblings to share. Each item had a little note on it - ie this is the kind of gum that grandpa carried in his pocket & gave to us children. This is the candy Mom always loved. It allows your brother to share all those memories with his children. Make the cookies that were special & send the receipe. This is all I send to all my siblings every year. Sometimes a photo is included that I have found that a relative had - I make copies of it & send it along. One year, it was a bag of candy like I always did for my children before going to the movies so each one had their own little bag.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 12:01:13 PM PST
Kathleen says:
Maybe a family membership to the local zoo or science museum?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 4:23:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2011 4:27:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 5:37:14 PM PST
M. T. says:
A boxed dvd set of a tv show they all can enjoy together.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 5:59:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 6:00:15 PM PST
M. Dieleman says:
The gift box idea is a great one. A few other additional ideas:
--Table Topics family game TABLETOPICS Family: Questions to Start Great Conversations
--Movie theatre popcorn
--DVD or gift card for movie rentals

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 7:51:16 PM PST
L. Smith says:
If the family drinks soda, highly recommend a Soda Stream. :)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:14:23 PM PST
BorderGranny says:
paid tickets to a campsite or a state park near them, also concert tickets for something like Disney on Ice if/when it appears near them, movie tickets to their local theater or gift certificates for a restaurant near them that they'd consider a treat; in fact, almost any kind of gift certificate or paid phone card

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 9:33:17 PM PST
nostalgia cotton candy maker. it's under $50. or go to AAA and get discounted movie tickets for each member of the family. or if you have pictures of them, create an album. or coffee mugs with each of their initials. collection of dvds (seinfeld, george carlin,... well, whatever is the youngest age appropriate)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 2:54:52 AM PST
SLR says:
Last year my whole extended family got these personalized mugs Personalized Snowman Candy Cane Mugs Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available any more. But there are some other options when you search "personalized Christmas mugs." I live overseas so I sent them directly to my sister's house where everyone would gather and they were a big hit on Christmas Day.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:02:02 AM PST
Nicole says:
While it's kind of cheesy, I like what I'm doing. My sister just had a baby, and I'm a knitter (and also low on cash). I've been making the little one hats, and she loves getting them. For Christmas, I'm knitting matching hats for the baby, daddy, and big half brother. I'm knitting a matching scarf for my sister. I'm putting it together in a box with an empty picture frame that says "Family," meant to hold a picture of them wearing their matching items (which I'll take on Christmas morning). The whole shabang is going to cost me a total of about $35, but given that I actually made the items, I think they'll really appreciate the thought that went into it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 1:49:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2011 1:50:05 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 1:54:48 PM PST
Every year my mom buys the family a 3D puzzle, we've done the Taj Mahal, New York, The White House, Empire State Building, Notre Dame etc... we are all in our 20's, and girls, but its fun to sit around and put them together, or walk by and put a piece or two on - plus you end up with a structure and its a bit of a contest to see who can construct the support structure, pieces that make it look like a building.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:46:48 PM PST
Soulution says:
All afore mentioned ideas are great! My best friend's kids are 22, 12, & 2. The one (inexpensive) thing we can ALL play together are memory/matching sets card games. Would look at Amazon.com's card games for such as I can't recall names of specific ones. Yet even 2-year old can play!
Happy Holidays, S.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:52:13 PM PST
a subscription to Netflix. Used to be able to give 3 to 12 months.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:18:35 PM PST
Rimi says:
If you plan on ordering something, do it this week, as this tends to be the best week for sales + free shipping. But, this would be cool!

-Zoku Quick Pop Maker, $37
http://www.zokuhome.com/products/zoku-duo-quick-pop-maker

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 6:44:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 6:46:22 PM PST
John John says:
For about 100 or so dollars.......buy 3 in 1 gaming table. Air Hockey, table tennis, and etc.........With it being cyber week, sure to find free shipping. Hope I helped. Most these gift ideas range in the 50 to 70 dollar, why not add 30 or so more and knock the egg nog right out of santa hands. (Cheesy punchline? Yes! But I pride myself on giving great gift ideas. lol) good luck!

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:45:15 PM PST
A. Brue says:
Another idea that I've used in the past is to put together a box of "things that are about or from (insert your state here)." Since I'm from Washington, that includes Applets & Cotlets, usually something Space Needle related, a Boeing-related item, something from Pike Place Market, and a few fresh apples. You get the idea. It's fun to put together and can go for any budget.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:56:59 PM PST
cmpmom says:
dh just handed me today's mail and someone is selling a kit to make root beer. I thought instantly of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:22:06 PM PST
What about a month worth or net flix or one of those online movie delivery places...as you can see i don't watch much...but have heard they are great.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions