Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

christmas Gift ideas for future father in law who has everything!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2008 7:16:57 PM PST
L&D says:
Any christmas gift ideas for a for my future father in law who has everything? We've given him framed pictures, subscribed him to wine clubs, etc in the past but are running out of ideas...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 10:00:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2008 10:02:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 10:06:34 PM PST
Tari L. Cox says:
One of the best gifts for a person who has everything is donating to a cause which is important to that individual in their honor. You may officially give in their name or you may give anonymously--and communicate this to the individual in some form. One way I was recently made aware of sharing this is through communication in a white envelope on the tree, called the white envelope project (go to http://www.whiteenvelopeproject.org/originalstory.html to read more about this tradition that can be started). They have some causes on the website, but it may be more personal to come up with your own cause that represents your loved ones passions. The sky is the limit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 10:59:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2008 11:01:47 PM PST
LADY BUG says:
you cant go wrong with gift cards like restaurants or movie tickets..my in-laws have everything as well, always tell me that they dont need anything but we always end up buying gift cards for them...goodluck and happy shopping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 12:36:45 PM PST
Hi, My future father in law is the same way. He is very well off and has absolutely everything he needs. Needless to say, it is very hard to find gifts for him. What I have found for him, as well as anyone in your life, is that gifts from the heart are so much more meaningful than anything materialistic that you can buy him. I make large portions of homemade candy for him and many people I know, and they all go nuts over it. They definitely appreciate the time I put in to make it, and they look forward to it every year. Also, I often make him and my future mother in law a homemade card and that is also very meaningful to them. If you can find something that you can make yourself I think it would mean a lot. Plus, this saves you money, which we all need in these difficult economic times. I hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 2:39:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2008 2:41:27 PM PST
H. Knutson says:
Same problem here with my dad and step mom. What I have found works every year is to think outside the box and get them both something very unique. These are the things they seem to really love. One year I got my step mom a glass egg blown from the lava ash at mt. st. Helens in Washington state. I then got her a pair of roman glass earrings from Israel. try stuff with unique materials, from one part of the world. Nothing too expensive either.

My dad, I got a star named after him, I know it seems cheesy but it was a HUGE hit, and I included a few star books with it, and then to make it better, that was a birthday gift, it helped me with christmas, because he loved that star idea so much and didn't stop talking about it, we bought him a nice telescope for christmas.

good luck, I live this every birthday and christmas, and just try to stay ahead with very unique materials that I think they will like. It gives them something to tell their friends. The lava egg, by the way led her to order stuff for her sisters.

You can google mt st helen gifts and see the beautiful stuff they have for sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 3:18:13 PM PST
If he is a weather watcher, a digital remote rain guage is unique.
Dependent on your budget, and his climate, a remote start for a vehicle in Minnesota or Michigan has some merit.
As the father in law, I have especially enjoyed photographs of my loved ones, nicely framed, perhaps with some nicely written words of wisdom or reflection from my children or grandchildren.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 11:13:20 PM PST
POLLY J. OAS says:
Tickets to a Special event

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 2:48:41 AM PST
Toni says:
My parents AND parents in law are impossible... this year i found food gift baskets on amazon, which i think i will get (because ii live out of country) but my parents suggested a donation to a cause they like, Or, if you can afford it, for example my dad would love to try driving a formula one car at a race track nearby or has mentioned trying para-gliding. So other possibilities for difficult parents/in-laws could be suba diving, parachuting, cooking lessons, art/craft lessons, language lessons....the list is endless. Think of their hobbies or interests and go with lessons, trips (doesn't need to be far. could be to a city a few hours away), tickets,books, supplies/tools for their interests...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 4:15:59 AM PST
Mark says:
Not sure what kind of budget you are dealing with. Sometimes it's easier to get a couple of smaller gifts, and sometimes you might want to splurge on one larger gift. I find that with people that "have it all" it's often the little, simplest things they are missing.

For example, how many people have a multi-tool or swiss army knife on their keychain? Not many. Yet it's a great gift! One of those things that, once you have one (or two, or three :D ), you will wonder how you lived without it. And today's daily deal includes 3 swiss army knives that are each great buys. I have two of the three, as well as a number of smaller ones I've bought for gifts. For somebody who has it all though, I recommend the *Ranger* model.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Ranger-Pocket-Knife/dp/B000687B58/
Victorinox Swiss Army Midnite Minichamp Pocket Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Camper Pocket Knife with AA LED Flashlight

Just as an additional incentive, when you spend more than $50 in Swiss Army products you get an additional $10 off. Which makes taking advantage of today's deal even sweeter.

Alternatively, the *micra* multi-tool from Leatherman is a good small gift too.

Leatherman 64010103K Micra Multitool
Leatherman 830996 Kick Multi-tool with Micra

Other than that, I would pair small useful gifts like these with something special. For example, since he already obviously likes wine, why not get him something good that can be enjoyed on a special occasion, such as a beautiful vintage reserve? He can use his new swiss army knife's corkscrew to open it up. :)

Just a few ideas. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 10:54:58 AM PST
Daniel Cohen says:
I would agree that donating is great. It helps to give back, and helps to make them feel like they really made a difference. Maybe a homeless shelter, or a foundation of some sort. And if not that, I would go with a George Forman Grill. That always works ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 11:13:31 AM PST
E.V. says:
Maybe a nice watch or a personalized pocket watch--this was a hit with my uncle! He carries it everywhere!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 1:40:21 PM PST
Carol says:
How about an Alumni shirt/sweathshirt from his college/high school/ fraternity?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2008 3:44:20 PM PST
I got my parents a subscription to Netflix. They loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 11:08:10 AM PST
Firefly says:
OMG, thank you so much H. Knutson!! My mother is also impossible to buy for, but guess what? Her name is Helen. Perfect! I could not find a site where I could view all the products/prices and place orders. Do you know of one?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 11:25:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2008 9:41:15 AM PST
Firefly> They actually compress the ash into a gemstone called Helenite as well. There are a few for sale here on amazon.

Zack Davisson
Amazon 2008 Holiday Team

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 11:36:02 AM PST
Parents are indeed tough. I bought my parents and my in-laws web cams, and then hooked them up to free Skype video. They love it because they can see us when we talk.

I also try to get accessories or stuff that applies to hobbies. We bought my father an iPod several years ago, and have since gotten him stuff to go with it: iHome under-the-counter player, stereo transmitter, headphones, etc. A pedometer is great if he takes walks. If he likes sports, either a cap (inexpensive) or an autographed jersey (more expensive) can be great. And if he likes wine, anything from a great corkscrew to Vinturi to a wine refrigerator might work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008 2:23:49 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2009 10:44:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 4:50:25 AM PST
Check out the White Envelope Project (http://www.whiteenvelopeproject.org)... They have Giving Certificates as well as a Catalog of Giving designed to make giving easy. The whole concept is to give to others in lieu of material gifts. The tradition and story are really inspiring!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 8:32:02 AM PST
Firefly says:
Thanks Zack, I had no idea! With all the helpful suggestions I'm getting here, I have hope that I'll find something she likes!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 9:31:36 AM PST
Elly says:
I know a lot of people suggested donations to charities in the person's honor--but have you checked out Heifer International? They give live animals to a person in poverty who has been trained how to care for them, and it is amazing how even a pair of rabbits or a clutch of chicks can lift a family out of poverty, even extend to their village as the originals increase. My daughter & her fiance did not want any wedding presents, but they put a link to Heifer on their site.

If you know how to crochet, etc you can make simple ornaments --- I have a quick pattern for a small stocking & i have made those by the ton, then I put some simple thing like candy inside. I make them in July & August, not December! Then I have a stash. Have made them for a Girl Scout troop, etc.

If you do not know how to crochet or knit, consider commissioning them from someone who can & would like a spot of extra $$ themselves! I like the stockings because I can slip a gift card in one, too.

My father in law is 83 & has all the ties, shirts etc he will ever use. We give him gift cards to restaurants he likes, and bags of seed for the birds he loves to feed. He is on a retirement income so we also give him an annual bottle of his favorite booze and gift cards to the supermarket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 9:33:02 AM PST
P. Walsh says:
As part of my father's gift I bought him a personalized doormat for a double door from Williams Sonoma. It's always great to have a nice doormat and he'll see it every time he walks into the house. They seem top quality too. Yes, it's an obscure thing, but something people rarely think of.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 8:51:20 AM PDT
Emma Hickl says:
Always an Amazon Gift Card, everyone likes them! :)

Posted on May 31, 2012 3:16:51 PM PDT
Steve Maring says:
Have you tried www.ediblearrangements.com. I send one to my siblings and mother for special events and they seem to get a kick out it, and they like that i didn't just go for a box of chocolates or the like.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:22:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 7:23:24 AM PDT
Storz & Bickel VOLCANO Vaporizer DIGIT with EASY VALVE Starter Set

let the man relax.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions