Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Amazon Prime vs. ShopRunner

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2012 8:15:02 AM PST
tlatrice says:
Which do you think is best? I have had Amazon Prime for a year, but I signed up for a trial version of Shop Runner last month. My trial of ShopRunner and my renewal for Prime are both coming due this month. So I'm trying to decide which one to keep.

Anybody have experience with ShopRunner?

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 12:45:19 PM PST
pettygirl says:
I have been using Amazon Prime for over 3 years, and ShopRunner for just over a year (I renewed in Oct) I love them both, and thanks to the two different arenas that they offer, I could not part with either one (the free PetSmart shipping is huge for us, along with TRU and BRU ... and all of the stores that they continue to add) I still purchase so many grocery items on Amazon that prime is still a great fit for us, but that might change as SR adds more stores. I honestly think that I save way more than both memberships in gasoline alone, and I KNOW I save more in sanity. If I had to choose one right now, I would be really sad about it, but I would probably choose the SR...as AP is more of a luxury, but it is a luxury that I am very fond of! Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 9:54:04 AM PDT
What grocery items can you possibly buy on Amazon, in Houston, TX?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 12:51:46 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
I don't know about Houston TX, but I have ordered grocery items, including ice cream, from Amazon.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 12:53:28 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
I suppose it depends on whether or not you use the video and Kindle lending library benefits of Prime. I do, making it the better deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 12:46:05 PM PDT
tlatrice says:
I wonder about this too. I live in Houston. Don't know how well that would work.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 8:02:15 PM PDT
what is shoprunner real quick???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:56:41 PM PST
Toy Planit says:
shoprunner will cancel you without notice if you have more than 10 orders in a short period of time... unlimited does not mean unlimited. We were buying for Christmas presents, TRU often runs ads for buy one get one 1/2 but you could only get one discount per order. So we would order 5 sets, in 5 transactions; shoprunner said we were abusing the free 2 day shipping and canceled our subscription. And that was after we paid our yearly fee. Prime never has ever limited us. Prime all the way

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:06:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 6:08:18 PM PST
Rapdactyl says:
I've used both. It saddens me to say Prime is a lot more useful. If you find yourself buying stuff frequently at stores Shoprunner works with, it might be worthwhile. But there is a significant lack of consistency with Shoprunner's partners - Newegg, for instance, doesn't allow all items to be covered under Shoprunner. Maybe I'm weird, but most of the time, when I want to order a thing through one of Shoprunner's partners, the thing I want is not shoprunner eligible. Some are even worse than Newegg - I haven't had to pay shipping for any items ordered through Newegg since I got Shoprunner, but when I did go to order some things with other retailers, they were going to charge me shipping anyway! Some retailers set up a certain set of items as "shoprunner eligible" - usually things already covered through whatever free shipping scheme they have already (orders over $25, etc) or things expensive enough to make it 'worthwhile' for them.

Things have improved since when I first joined, so maybe Shoprunner is reining in some of their partners that weren't getting with the program. But the experience isn't consistent enough to compete with Prime; you have to set up accounts with *every website* in order to order from them (would it be that hard to have a central database that all those retailers can hook into?), you have to be sure that what you're ordering is 'eligible,' and as mentioned, Shoprunner is not 'unlimited.' There was a lot of potential, and I certainly can say it saved me money and encouraged me to shop at retailers I otherwise wouldn't have, but it's not worth it right now unless you're certain you can save money with it. I am eager to support competition to Amazon, but you guys do you have to /try/.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:59:36 AM PST
Misssky says:
I know this thread is old but I want to post my opinion in case anyone is looking (currently) for info as I was.

Now that I have used both, I can positively say Prime all the way. With Prime, 2 day shipping means 2 day shipping (sometimes I get it in 1 day!), with Shoprunner, I ordered something with their promotional "2 day" shipping and got it 5 days later which is a enormous fail on Shoprunner's part. Prime has saved me countless time and aggravation, not to mention money. I will be sticking with Prime.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 1:06:59 PM PDT
Hari says:
lets be fair to shop runner as well.
somebody said not all items in newegg are covered under shoprunner 2 day shipping.
its the same with amazon not all products in amazon are not covered under prime 2 day shipping as well.and if you see, the prime orders are priced a little more than non prime orders for the same item.
plus in shop runner return shipping is free where as in amazon prime return shipping is not free in most of the items.
considering shop runner as new evolving service its good to have more choices and the competition will benefit the customer.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 11:20:49 AM PDT
what is shoprunner? Due to sheer not-enough-advertisement-to-hit-my-social-media-whoring-face-as-of-yet-likeness, Amazon Prime all the way. Unless it can dance. Does it dance?

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 4:09:17 PM PST
Dolvich says:
Shoprunner sucks. I ordered 2 items from Newegg, 1 had 2-day shoprunner available, the other didn't. The shoprunner item still hasn't gotten here (4 days) and the one that wasn't through shoprunner already arrived.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 8:56:52 PM PST
Rapdactyl says:
Newegg doesn't really work with Shoprunner like it's supposed to. You will get free shipping if you use Shoprunner, but Newegg rarely honors the 2-day promise like it should.

Other Shoprunner stores have done a better job with this. Drugstore dot com, for instance, worked with Shoprunner as promised.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 9:17:24 AM PST
Jblack says:
I have had shoprunner free for 2 years ( I believe there is some deal with Amex that it is free for life). I see them as 2 different services. Shoprunner has stores I would have never shopped at, like Lord & Taylor and American Eagle. I like that I can buy just one clothing item and have it shipped free. Drugstore ships and delivers same day with shoprunner. I live in a rural area and 2 day on any service usually means 3-4 and I just accept that. Drugstore.com via shoprunner uses on trac for delivery. Toyrus is the biggest hassle on shoprunner. If Toyrus or shoprunner stopped the constant games of what is eligible I might consider paying for shop runner. I live 250+ miles from a toy store. If toys r us has a sale the item suddenly is not shoprunner eligible, but once the sale is off the item becomes eligible. Not cool.
Shoprunner has virtually no customer service. My toysrus package was delayed 10 days. There was no way to contact shoprunner. I sent an email but never got an answer.
Shop runner has to increase the number of stores, stop the eligbility and get better customer service to make me even consider paying anything for there service.
Amazon has the customer service hands down, the streaming, and reliable delivery. As someone that lives in an area with few retail options, amazon's biggest fault is lack of choice, mainly in clothing, and toys. I also dislike amazon use of smartpost and ups sure post. Shopprunner has always used ups 2 day shipping or on trac. The delays at shoprunner have been shipping time(mostly newegg) not the service they chose.

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 2:36:11 PM PDT
chick3ndude says:
Thanks Hari, was going to post the same exact thing. Couldn't of said it better.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 10:38:09 PM PDT
A. F. you says:
If you have an American Express Credit Card you can get shoprunner for free ! It works for me :) Like that you get at least some benefit from paying the banks credit card fees!

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 10:27:10 AM PDT
ajtn says:
I used some reward points to get a free year of Shoprunner and combined with the trial I had 15 months of service. During that time I used it once and that was it. I just didn't do much shopping at the stores that used it and what I did shop for wasn't eligible so it was useless.
Amazon on the other hand I use a lot. So much that I see the UPS man 3-4 times a week and have gotten to know him well over the past couple of years thanks to the many deliveries I get.

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 9:50:02 AM PDT
HP says:
I used Amazon.com Prime shipping for about 2-3 years. It used to be good but...here is what I found.
Amazon Hiked rates by 25%.
Most items are on avg. priced about 25% higher than even with others on Market Place offering with shipping cost added.
No free return shipping.
I see no value in Prime Shipping.
Movies video content library poor, hardly any good movies. Nothing you have not already seen in 3 years if it was worth watching. Another way for them to market full priced streaming rentals.
Books only available if you have a kindle. I do not own a kindle so it makes no sense to me.
Shop Runner was free to me offered by Amex. Not a lot of experience but limited choices of stores, but better than the one stop shop for $105 (with taxes) for Amazon.com.

Amazon.com sucks of late - delayed shipping because they throttle all orders if you pick free standard shipping. They do not even begin processing the orders for 6 days. I think their loss is ebay, paypal and Shop runner and other retailers benefit.

Recently, I purchased about $150 worth of school text books and some vitamins etc. Amazon.com was sitting on my order for nearly 6 days. I cancelled my order bought the same books from BookByte.com and saved myself $30 on the books. For drugs and vitamins etc. I saved another $30. On just two orders that I bought from other stores I saved myself over $60 on a approx. $150 order a 30% discount. To top it all up, I got another 20% off from Drugstore.com for being a Walgreens employee.

From my point of view, Amazon.com is done. I use them not to identify the best products - use the site for customer reviews etc and but it from elsewhere. I guess that people used to use Best Buy for touch and feel and experience but buy the product from Amazon.com is not going to reverse for them. Success has gotten the head of some at Amazon.com too big.

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 2:19:57 PM PDT
Shannara says:
Been using Amazon Prime for a very long time. However, as of January of this year, they now prevent 90% of their items to be shipped here to Alaska. So basically ... Amazon is cutting off Alaska. I don't know about shoprunner though ... However, to be fair. About 50% of newegg items refuse to ship this year as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions