Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift for 10 year old daughter! Tablet? Kindle? Something else

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2011 6:49:31 AM PST
M. Brooks says:
My husband wanted to get our 10 year old a tablet for Christmas (and we did), however I am second guessing. For budget purposes, we bought a 2G tablet. She already has an 8GB itouch, so I am affraid this will get tossed to the side. She didn't ask for one, but doesn't know what she really wants. She did ask for a netbook awhile back, but again they are quite pricey. I am trying to stick to budget. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 7:24:25 AM PST
Sydney's Mom says:
A kindle fire would be a great gift. I have the kindle w/o a keyboard, and the kindle fire. I still like the kindle better for reading, but I like reading in bed, and you can't beat the kindle fire for that. She will love it!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:48:46 AM PST
K. Wireman says:
We also bought are 8year old daughter a kindle fire. We were going to get the Ipod Touch but for the same amount of money she can have a bigger screen for gaming purposes, and movie watching. I'm also hoping that this will broaded her reading experiences. She never asked for one but she did ask for an ipod touch so this is pretty much the same thing just a little bigger! Hoping she LOVES it. I'm sure that any child would love an kindle fire anything electronic any more is the way to go!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:56:43 AM PST
My daughter (11) has an iPod Touch that she is glued to so I thought that she would appreciate a larger screen from the Kindle Fire. She will be getting one for Xmas. One concern though, I like to control what is bought. With the iPod I just type in the password to confirm purchases - she doesn't know the password. I was wondering if the Fire has the same capability. I don't mind the occasional purchase she might want to make, but I want to be able to review to make sure it makes sense and keep things within budget. I definitely don't want her to have free reign with my credit card that's currently linked to my Amazon account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 10:45:14 AM PST
Sydney's Mom says:
Set up a separate Amazon account for your daughter. That is what I did for my daughter, 13. It is tied to her debit card (those are great for kids, because they can no longer be overdrawn). If she wants to buy a book, I transfer the amount to her debit card.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 11:56:51 AM PST
That's a good suggestion, but if she buys a book then it won't be available to me - would it? It would be a separate account. The same would go for if I bought a book, she wouldn't also get it. For our iTunes/iPod accounts we all share the same login account so we all get what everyone else downloads for no additional charge.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 9:39:40 PM PST
T. Hinkle says:
My 8 year old son is getting a Kindle Fire, my almost 11 yr old daughter(she turns 11 on 12/28) will be getting a decent jewelry box(we went with incolay in pink with a kitten) and a few mid-level jewelry pieces. Like your daughter she really didn't know what she wanted, it is a tough age! They are out of toys, but still too young for some of the "teen" gifts.

My daughter rec'd an android phone for Christmas last year and each year for her birthday we pay her year of service. I usually get her a small token birthday gift just so she has something to open, but it is 3 days after Christmas, what could she want????

Good luck!!

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:14:05 AM PST
T. Lemelin says:
You got her a *tablet* but you're saying a *netbook* is pricey!? What the hell? You *do* know that tablets are generally considerably more expensive. (A good tablet is $700, a good netbook is $350.)

Anyhow, no 10 year old needs their own laptop unless you're completely savvy enough to lock it down and monitor the parental controls. And even then it's a questionable purchase at best. She's 10! Want to know an appropriate gift? Clothes. CDs. A bike.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:46:33 PM PST
M. E. CULVER says:
I would suggest an plain nook ereader, best on market, and around 99$. Can download books from libraries for free.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:03:29 PM PST
There is no reason your ten year old needs a tablet. Get her a freaking barbie doll or something. Or art supplies. A tablet? What is the world coming to. She really doesn't even need an ipod, why can't she have a regular cheap mp3 player? I'll bet she has a cell phone too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 11:06:21 PM PST
I totally agree with you Lemelin! What has happened to gifts for children these days?!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 12:22:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 12:24:01 AM PST
8 year olds asking for ipod touch?
Man what happened to plastic jewelry and dolls.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 3:59:06 AM PST
Asuigeneris1 says:
Too funny, while I am all for promoting reading...this world is going to hell in an handbag fast with all this technology. LOL

...at 10 years old I was still catching tadpoles and naming every path in the canyon behind my house.

I had a slew of Barbies still and loved building with Legos and the like, now little girls that age are holding world records for texting. : P

Of course now I would likely be abducted and found face down in a sewer somewhere, if I was traipsing in a canyon. >.<

This world blows now, I'm glad I was a kid when it was still a place of wonder. : (

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 11:19:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 5:36:44 AM PST
I have to disagree with you. 'These days' people are expected to be comfortable with new technology and the thought process behind them. I use my smart phone constantly as part of my job, but I can't say that I use a Barbie Doll much.
Kids need 'safe' exposure to all of today's modern technology because if they aren't then they will have a steep learning curve when those skills are required.
At my daughter's middle school it is a requirement for some of her work to be typed/printed. That's hard to do if you are more comfortable with Barbie than a keyboard.
This is a whole different world than the world we grew up in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 9:12:05 PM PST
Asuigeneris1 says:
"This is a whole different world than the world we grew up in."

...yeah it sucks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:27:21 PM PST
Cara says:
Nicholas, you're an adult of course you get more out of your smart phone than a Barbie doll, we're talking about children here. Safe exposure to technology is allowing them to use the family computer, letting them borrow your tablet for something and if they really need a cell phone (which they don't) you get them a cheap one that they won't use for stupid games in class instead of actually learning.
Also, if you have a family computer you can learn to type and print stuff through that, 10 yr olds don't need a tablet or an iPod touch. There's plenty else they could use; toys, board/outdoor games, etc don't cause children to fall behind in learning; if anything they encourage mental/physical growth. But sitting on the couch playing Angry Birds on their Android for hours on end certainly doesn't do them any favors.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:02:42 AM PST
Amy Schwartz says:
What's there to look forward to?

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:33:06 AM PST
Amy says:
My daughter is 10 and I have to say that the older they get, the more difficult it is to know what to buy. This year, I purchased the Nintendo 3ds and scored a decent amount of 3ds games for about $9-$15/each thanks to amazon and black friday online deals. Did splurge for Mario Kart because I do not forsee a price drop anytime soon.

I also do, what she has dubbed "The box of wonder" lol -- I do a themed set of gifts in a holiday hat box every year. This year, I grabbed a bunch of Taylor Swift items - her new Live CD, T shirt, few things from her online store.

Also grabbed Little house on the prairie dvds and books, Legos and some clothes.

I think my daughter WOULD like a Tablet or Kindle but she has an Ipod and at this age, as big of a reader as she is, I personally think old fashioned books go a long way.

Maybe when she is older, I will pick up an Ipad or Kindle, but for now, her Ipod is the way to go. I did find a cute portable speaker case in pink that has a hard shell and will make me breathe a bit easier when she takes her ipod with her to outings.

Bottom line, don't overthink it -- I am sure that whatever you get her, she will absolutely love. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 4:01:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 4:06:43 PM PST
NeeNee says:
I just got my Granddaughter a karaoke/boombox/cd player/dvd player in one.
Magnasonic MAG-MDVD500 Portable CD/DVD Player Boombox with 7" Widescreen LCD, AM/FM Radio, Karaoke Function, & MP3/WMA/MPEG4 Playback

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:54:31 PM PST
D. clapper says:
We got the 12yo and the 9 yo kindle fires as splurge gifts this year we put the Kids place child lock app on the device which we got free in the amazon app store that helps password protect them to block purchases and downloading content without our permission. We travel alot so this will allow us to pair down things that we take.

Even though they getting them, I know the real hit in our house will be the new games that I got for family game night. The kids were in the game section drooling over borad games and begging for updated games.
Have you made sure that since the budget is tight, what she may want that is a non tech item that also may not break the bank. I got 5 new games for 28 bucks. I also got science experiment books for them one for chemistry and another for robotics around $7 each and I know they will like them better than there new kindles yet the cost is way less.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:00:03 AM PST
L. Newquist says:
People have a wide range difference in their Christmas spending and gift expectations! I too am amazed that what I have thought of as adult luxury items, such as laptop computers, and a Kindle Fire, are being given to pre-teen children as their own personal belonging. In "OUR DAY" (if you are over the age of 40) families had ONE of pricey entertainment things, and the one was shared by everyone in the family. (I have a big objection to kids having their own TVS in their own bedrooms, due to the low moral standards of most primetime viewing, and I object to them having their own computers and such as that, due to all of the bad things they can be exposed to on those.)
Social norms change with time. When I was a kid my parents did not have to drive me to a friends home, I walked, or rode my bike, plus, our neighborhood was full of kids of all ages. That was not the case for my chlldren, nor now for theirs. Also, more people have higher expectations for more costly gifts these days, and there are so many of those to want! Do I need a cell phone? NO! But I have one. Do I need a tabletop and a laptop computer? NO! But I have both. Do kids in school learn any more, having computers to use, than we learned at the same age from books? I do not know. Does playing games, as a solo activity, replace seeking out, or a parent providing, the opportunity of playing a game with a friend, sibling, or as a family? It is a good thing to have activity options to fill in the alone time, and bored moments, that many people, children and adults, have in their lives. There must be a lot of that judging by the popularity of inter-active devices.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:46:45 AM PST
I bought into the whole idea that a 12 yr old needs a tablet and purchased one last month for $80 on Black Friday. But after much thought, I just resold it on Ebay. She has a desktop in the kitchen that allows me to keep a sharp eye on everything she does online, for her safety. Plus, where do I go from a Tablet next year? She didn't even ask for one. So, using the money to get her what she did ask for: fuzzy pjs, a gift card to Aeropostale, and some books. The old fashioned paper kind :) Not knocking parents who do, but don't complain when they won't leave the couch/tv/tablet.
To the guy to said a decent tablet is $700, do your research. Ipad is not the only decent tablet out there.
To answer the original question, in my opinion, if she already has the 8gig ipod touch, a tablet is not much of a leap. She may not use it or she may love the bigger screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 3:54:57 PM PST
I bought my first computer in 1981 at age 12. I wrote my first program the same year and by age 16 I was selling my services as a software engineer. It was the start of my career. Thankfully my parents were forward thinking enough to let me be exposed to new technology.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 4:45:19 PM PST
I'm 16 and I have a personal Macbook Pro, an iPod Touch, and a cell phone. I have the cell phone to keep in touch with my dad, I don't even text on it. I bought the iPod myself with money that I earned from working. My dad bought me the Mac because I got A's in Honors Physics, Algebra 2, Chemistry, and Standard Pre-Calc. I did that as a Junior. I earned this. I've also taken college writing classes, and passed them. A child, whether 6, 8, or 11, does NOT need a tablet, adults and teenagers (event that's a stretch) do. When I was 11 I played with Legos and rode my bike. I went swimming in the summer and had sleepovers with my best friend, where we played with dolls and painted with watercolors. Get her an art set, there isn't a 10 year old that doesn't love paint. I used to paint the trees in my yard with glitter glue. I had a great childhood without all the tech, and it wasn't 30 years ago. I child doesn't need $300 electronics to succeed or be happy. They're still developing at that age. Put her in classes; I've been begging my mom for years to put me in dance, and it's never too late to start.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 6:53:28 PM PST
K. Walker says:
add on an i-tunes card...they usually come in $10 and $25 demoninations.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2011
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions