Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Gift for 14 year old boy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2008 11:38:38 AM PST
Soda Mom says:
This is TOUGH! My son only wants games, games and more games for the computer or XBox. All he wants to do is sit in front of computer and play... so what are some other unique , yet great, gift ideas for a 14 year old?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 12:29:19 PM PST
How about a digital camera? The point-and-clicks are reasonably priced, and they might get him out and snapping pictures with friends. Also, there's a couple of reasonably priced (just over $100) video cameras (Flip Ultra, Flip Mino, and, I think, Kodak) that he can use to create creative home movies. If you tell him that he can upload to YouTube in a matter of minutes, he will think computer, while you may think creativity.

You can also buy books that relate to his computer fixation to get him to read. Yeah, it's along the same lines, but at least you'll be getting him to use his brain. Computer geeks like sci-fi novels. I don't know of any off-hand for that age group, but maybe someone else can chime in.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
Amazon Holiday Customer Review Team

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 12:32:57 PM PST
boomom2 says:
I agree this is tough. We're getting my son (13 1/2) a NERF machine gun. He still loves to chase his neighborhood friends so that's a good bet. Also, I bought him a college poster (Lord of the Rings) for his room.

If your son is athletic, perhaps a Ripboard? or a motorized scooter? The camera is a good idea if he doesn't have one - perhaps even a cheap video camera.

Gaming magazine?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 1:27:55 PM PST
I have a 14 yo son (15 in 9 days) so I empathize! Look at what type of computer games he plays and buy him books along those subjects. For example, if he plays "World of Warcraft" then fantasy books would be a great choice - Christopher Paolini's series about dragon riders got both my boys away from the computer. If the NFL, NBA, NHL sport games are what he plays then find books about the sport in general and, perhaps, his favorite team (Sports Illustrated has some great ones). If he plays "Call of Duty" consider books about the war(s) on the version(s) he owns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 2:07:37 PM PST
My son loves paintballing and ice hockey as well as video games. How about an i pod? Or some type of physical activity /sport toy or gift? Just a thought....good luck with this. I have 5 kids...ages 8, 11, 14, 17 and 20, so I can relate to difficulty in shopping!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 2:38:30 PM PST
I'm a 14 year old boy myself so let me give you some ideas. If you are looking for something non-computerized I think a good book or two is a great idea. I recently read 'Little Brother' by Cory Doctorow which is about a gang of tech-geeks who use technology to stop San Fransisco from turning into a police state after a terrorist attack. It was really good and integrates technology into the story line really well.

Another idea if you want something to get him moving is maybe an airsoft gun or a trip to an airsoft arena with some of his friends. If you don't know what airsoft is it's a sort of a pellet gun that shoots little plastic BBs using spring pumping, electricity or CO2. They're pretty safe as long as you wear safety goggles and a little padding so it doesn't sting as badly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 10:00:52 PM PST
Having 2 teenagers, I understand. Something we do for our teens is pay for an 'outing' with friends. (Maybe, try something new - paintball, laser tag, skate boarding park, etc. Find out what his friends are into at the moment.) Also, don't forget to give some cash. Having extra spending money always cheers up my teens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 10:15:55 PM PST
R. Reichert says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:19:33 PM PDT
Evan says:
Buy him an Airsoft or Paintball gun. That'll get him outside and playing. There are some reasoinably priced airsoft guns on Amazon.

P.S. I'm 14 I thought of these ideas in hopes of finding something to ask for for my birthday.

Spencer :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 10:47:18 PM PDT
If he likes music, an IPOD Nano and the Watch Strap you can slip it into. They are pretty cool and might help him to socialize with people his age about music.
The Hunger Games series of books might interest him.
I like the paintballing idea that someone mentioned. You might also look into adventure type lessons for him...rock climbing, fencing, martial arts maybe...depending on the area of the country you live in and what other indoor facilities might be available to you.
Refering to what another had posted...how about a book about how games are made? Or even a trip and tour of a gaming company? That might expand his interests into art and/or computer software.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:52:04 PM PDT
allidap says:
I have a 13 (almost 14) yo son that's also into computer games and xbox. But a few years ago, he asked for a REAL dart board set. I thought he was too young so I bought him a safe dart board set. At 13, he's now old enough for a real dart board set, so that's what I got him. I also got him binoculars and a tripod for star gazing. Think about what he was interested in the past, because there's a good chance he's still interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:28:37 PM PDT
Swedey says:
My boys (dad included) favorite gift has been the potato gun. 45 dollars custom made online. I no longer have the website or I would post it. We laughed and laughed because our hillbilly gift far outranked the other boys' cool Christmas gifts in the neighborhood. I will say though that we are surrounded by some fields where he can use it without disturbing anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:13:35 AM PST
Desert Doll says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:32:01 PM PST
Charli says:
My boys are 10 and 12 and when they make a Christmas list they are informed no more then 2 video games, and then I advise them to look at sites like amazon to get some ideas, this year there is a soccer net, wave board,z-curve bow. Paint ball is super fun for boys and dads for that matter if they have a place close by a giftcard to play some paintball would probably go over well. I'm sure if you let him know to give you some other ideas he will put some thought into it. If I didn't limit video games my boys would not get off the couch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:45:12 AM PST
Tracy says:
A freestyle scooter is a cool, trendy, fun gift for a 14 year old boy. The sport is picking up in the USA amazingly fast, because boys and young lads love it. They can use it on the street, in skateboard parks and join ISA or other scooter clubs. Bike Ahead sells a variety of Madd Gear and Grit scooters in a wide price range. see here http://www.bikeahead.com/Scooters_s/281.htm

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:41:23 AM PST
im a reasonable 14 year old and im sure that he wont read the books or go out and take pictures. try something to do with sports like a baseball mit or a basket ball hoop. to be honest no 14 year old kid wants to read a book when video games are also an option. also a paintball gun is a good choice, posters, CD's, and the really big nerf gun.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:59:39 AM PST
AaronDahan says:
g-u-i-t-a-r

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:17:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:24:00 AM PST
Spud guns at a ton of fun and are quite easy to build. Make the construction of the spud gun into a teaching tool. I think I used the suggestions in the book "Backyard ballistics" when my son and I built ours.
A bicycle or motorcycle are always big hits. Small RC helicopter, fishing pole, firearms, camping supplies. I generally get my son things he can do things with. Preferably outside. Magnifying glass for burning ants and fire starting.
Build an electric motor. There are kits you can buy and the build is a lot of fun.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:19:41 AM PST
J. Johnson says:
I got both of my grandsons table top games; foosball, ping pong, pool, and table tennis. I also got them megaphones. I taught P.E. for years and the young people love talking (yelling) through those things and using the siren. I hope these are good suggestions.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 5:17:00 PM PST
well i personnally enjoy the Naruto manga and i am 14 year old boy its about a 12 year old ninja on his way to becoming the greatest ninja eventually he gets to about 16 or so i personally would like a rubiks cube maybe one videogame and probably some cologne or the latest percy jackson book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:29:57 PM PST
Lucy Liu says:
How about a really cool messenger bag, one that he can use to carry his books or even his lunch to school? Or to carry around anything really. For example:

http://www.zazzle.com/stenciled_messenger_bag-210245276733942111

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:48:33 PM PST
Swedey says:

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:21:51 AM PST
MMNY says:
I made a shutterfly book of pictures he has taken over the past year. I am trying to encourage him in photography because he has a good eye and an interest in art.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:26:31 AM PST
anna says:
Thank you Chris. Im going to get the book, my son likes to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:27:47 AM PST
anna says:
Thank you Chris. Im going to get my son the book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Amazon smile program (Amazon donates to charity when you shop) 505 1 day ago
Wish Lists Missing 133 1 day ago
Time for a Made in America search option. 586 4 days ago
º°"~`"°☜♥☞ D€aℓ$ & Chaţ ☜♥☞º°"~`"°º 515 5 days ago
Wish list items sent. 0 5 days ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests that show that homosexuality is caused by parental neglect! Book makes a very great gift! 38 9 days ago
How do I find out who gift is from? 51 10 days ago
Trying to buy something for someone's wishlist, only able to ship to myself? 5 10 days ago
Christmas gift for 21 year old female 12 12 days ago
Does Amazon send receipts by mail to billing address?? 25 12 days ago
idea for older lady 45 14 days ago
gift for daughter in law 19 16 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions