Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Tennessee Use Tax

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2012 10:06:57 AM PDT
M. Claude says:
How else thinks this is a load of bull?

Just becuase the interest rates on a new home loan goes up, that does not mean that your loan holder can go back and back tax you for the difference!

Posted on May 14, 2012 11:22:27 AM PDT
E. Crawford says:
They seem to be saying we've owed this tax all along, but we just didn't know it. I for one may have made purchases differently if I'd known it! And annoyingly, we'll be assessed sales tax on amazon starting 2014. I sense less amazon buying in my future.

Posted on May 17, 2012 5:17:28 PM PDT
Amazon's prices are cheaper than in-store prices. Sales tax both places is the same, so Amazon is still cheaper. And free super saving shipping to home.

And yes, most states have use taxes.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:10:01 AM PST
Grass_Tiger says:
I think it should be law that Amazon tell us which purchases may have sales tax and how much that would be and which do not. We should not be told up to a year later that we owe money we didn't know about.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:17:30 AM PST
I for one do not see how anyone will pay this tax. For one, everything about this is SO vague. The email from Amazon, nor the link to the Tennessee revenue page give you any details as to what you owe tax on or how to calculate it. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse but the responsibility of adding tax should be on the retailer, not on the buyer. Maybe I am just crazy but I don't see how Tennesse should be able to collect tax from an item bought in another state. What did Tennessee do exactly to earn this tax? Nothing. It is the same idea as going on vacation California, buying items there, and then coming home to Tennessee and paying Tennessee tax for the items you bought in another state. Sounds crazy huh? Well it is. This just seems like tomfoolery to me. The people in charge KNOW that us regular people have no idea about these taxes and all along this has been fishy. It says on Tennessee's site that this law has been in effect since 2009, some people are getting emails about their purchases from 2011 only, I received an email about my purchases from 2012 only, AND then they are saying the law doesn't take effect until 2014. Which is it? Make up your mind. All I know is that if they think they can lay down an unexpected huge bill on thousands of people, most will not be able to pay it. Then what? Put us all in jail? Fine us all?

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 7:57:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2013 8:06:19 AM PST
Amazon is protecting their online (the cheapest place to buy goods) perception for as long as they can. The dont care what we do with this tax information as long as they appear to be the cheapest place to buy goods for the longest amount of time before they are forced to charge sales tax. The are pushing back as far as they can legally before their online presence is diminshed and sales are hit because they are having to charge sales tax. Amazon is just the beginning. The rest of the internet will follow. I am going to wait as long as I can (just like Amazon) before I pay the tax (if I pay it all). I am hoping that Amazon will be forced to pay it themselves and take the hit because they breached some legal clause where they were not clear about this to TN consumers. We all knew we were going to be taxed in 2014 but I think about 99.9% of us did not see the retro tax coming.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions