Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

Birthday gift for 10 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2008 10:41:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008 10:48:19 PM PDT
GCH says:
My granddaughter will be 10 years old. She is very outgoing. Her bedroom is small, so can't be anything big. Her mother is very strict about what she can have that is non-Christian. Also, her mother is very strict about what she wears, so no clothes suggestions. She is the oldest with an almost 5 yr old brother and 5 month old sister. $50 limit

She isn't shy. She's a tad bit bossy.. likes to be the center of attention. Has a TV and DVD player. I just don't know what that age group likes. She likes to be the Teacher or the Mom. She has ADD, so isn't really good with sit down quiet things. She would be a perfect actress. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Especially things she can enjoy without adult supervision. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008 2:00:13 PM PDT
maddie says:
My 9 and 14 year old neices LOVE Disney's High School Musical! (and my sister is careful about what her kids watch).

A journal such as KLUTZ "My Life According to Me"

My kids (2 boys) LOVE any and all games by the Cranium brand

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:35:48 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 12:50:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2008 2:35:21 PM PST
Melshopshere says:
We bought my daughter an Ipod last Christmas when she was 10. She can download music from itunes, that way we go online with her to select songs. They cost about .99 to 1.99 per song. There are LOADS of good Christain musicians on itunes. It's also nice, because you dont' have to buy the complete album. There may be a few good songs by nonChristian artists, yet still have a few questionable songs on their albums. It's a great way to purchase ONLY the good songs for our daughter to listen to. I have found it to be a great way to give my daughter the gift of music, yet carefully monitor what she is listening to! We could also download her actual cds onto her ipod. It gives our daughter the freedom to listen to music whenever she wants, yet we are certain that we have already approved of the lyrics. She has a speaker in her room for charging/ listening and can also listen to it with earphones. ipods are more expensive than your limit, but you may be able to purchase a similar item, such as an MP3 player I would ask her mother first and get approval and have her mom select some songs ahead of time from one of the websites. Make sure to mention the nice benefit of the ability to select what her daughter listens to.

A nice bonus is my daughter can use it for her singing lessons for children's chorus by downloading the teacher's music and her voice tests for practice. If your granddaughter likes to sing she can record herself singing and put it on her MP3 player or ipod

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 6:54:07 PM PST
JSL says:
I've got a 10 year old girl who sounds a lot like your granddaughter. Girls love Webkinz, and the klutz or chicken socks craft books. As someone said any Cranium game would be good. As far as movies, mine likes the Nancy Drew movie, as well as Enchanted. I bet she would really enjoy a Journal. She may also enjoy legos as my daughter does as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008 7:09:47 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 5, 2011 7:38:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 3:47:54 AM PST
Denise B-K says:
*Right now Amazon is offering their Barbie Girls 1 GB MP3 player for $16.99 with a bonus accessory pack of extra hair/clothes as the player also serves as a dress up doll (note: last week K-Mart had 512 MB model for $14.99 sans accessories). The player also coordinates with a website which offers "fashion, furniture, accessories, pets and a beauty club". I bought a few for my local Boys and Girls Club as well as $7.90 gift cards to Amazon (music downloads 79 cents a piece) as this fit the $25 budget well.
*JCPenney has a 1 GB MP3 player on sale this week (12/7 - 12/13) for $19.99 which comes with a bonus 50 downloads from emusic. Ad shows gray and pink players.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 12:54:04 PM PST
If her mom will allow it, girls that age are really into High School Musical and they have clothing, journals, bags, all sorts of things.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 1:05:32 PM PST
A customer says:
Unless you know for sure she does like high school musical or hannah, I'd stay away from those sort of things. My daughter is 9 and there are quite a large group of girls her age who are very opposed and turned off by all the HSM hype. I'd go with something more general such as the ideas for Klutz books. Chicken socks are for the younger age set. American girl makes great books and journal type items as well. Her mother might appreciate them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 1:44:01 PM PST
there are lots of games you can play with a dvd player...singing games, board games made into dvd games...that sounds like fun and could help get her energy out. They make these cute books for girls 8-13 years they sell them at target and the book store. each book is about different things on being a girl and growing up. fun stuff like doing your hair ect...My 2 girls are 3 and 18 months and cant wait to get it for hem. They do have books on how and why a girl "changes" so if the mm is so strict that might not be ok..I remember being that age and not wanting to take to you parents these books are great with fun games and just lots of different wittings ...My mother in law always asks me what she should get the girls and that works great for her and me because I know what they need and she never knows what to get them..One more thing is arts and crafts, with the cold months ahead and most kids not being able to play out side....They have great things at target, Walmart, or a craft store. Oh the the new twister "rings" it almost just like the old twister but it is done with rings kinda of like a hop scotch..

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 1:20:58 PM PST
i bought my daughter a crayola kit with crayons, markers that sort of thing

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:49:15 PM PST
lavena davis says:
i think the new thing is monster high my lil girl is 10 and she loves it not a bad show its teaches kids about differnt life things that happen every day hope it helps

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 8:03:54 AM PST
M. Lay says:
I just noticed this posting, probably a little late for Christmas but the cheap Kindle may be just the thing. They are really amazing, as technology takes over the school books will be online. My neighbor who is in high school already has his school books on his, the machine can read the books outloud to them he puts on ear phones and listens to his chapters. It's great, they do work and use technology. They can also do email, music and on and on. Maybe consider a birthday gift down the road.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:34:26 PM PST
I have 4 daughters, my youngest is 10. I know this one,lol!

My girls can never have enough craft stuff. You can buy starter scrapbooking kits in many places, they even have kits and products that are Christian themed and it will keep her happy for hours. To really make something like that special, print up a dozen or so photos of her and her family that you may have or have pulled off mom's facebook and include photographs. I know for my nieces when I have given scrapbook kits, they never have actual pictures that they are allowed to cut up and use, so I make sure I include pictures, too.
If you live nearby, help make sure she cleans up whatever mess she makes, or consider including a bag that will hold all of her supplies so Mom isn't cleaning it up when she gets bored.

I'd avoid any kits with glitter just to make sure you stay on Mom's good side. ;)

Other things my girls love- silly bands, erasers, friendship bracelet kits, hair stuff, lip gloss, hats, nail polish, they still love stuffed animals, fun shoelaces and jewelry..... ten is still young enough to enjoy little girl stuff, but old enough that they want to dabble into "cool" stuff.
Seriously, as long as Mom won't flip out, you probably can't go wrong with craft kits, just go for the less messy ones.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 3:20:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 29, 2012 3:22:00 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 3:20:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 29, 2012 3:21:22 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions