Customer Discussions > Gift Idea forum

cell phones for 10 and 11 year olds

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2011 11:03:16 AM PDT
M. Scheel says:
I am thinking of getting my two boys a cell phone for christmas. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 1:08:39 PM PDT
B. Bain says:
10 and 11 year olds don't need cell phones

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 1:16:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 1:17:39 PM PDT
L. Leverton says:
My 5,7,and 9 year old grand kids have cell phones. B. Bain, Unnecessary answer. I bought them gophones. They only cost on the day they are used . It is 2.00 for each day used. I bought a Samsung flipphone that came with 25.00 worth of air time and the phone was only 28 on amazon. My own son , however, I just put on my own cellphone plan. We have a family plan and it only costs 20.00 extra for an extra line. We both took the LG Saber. It has a full keyboard, which kids his age love. It was the plans free phone. My daughter has a Blackberry, as does my older son. Don't pay attention to anyone who tells you they don't need cellphones. These days, they are not only welcome, but needed in our society. My peace of mind knowing all my little ones have phones is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 1:31:46 PM PDT
B. Bain says:
Children have thinner skulls and scalps than adults. This allows the radiation from a cell phone to penetrate deeper into children's brains. Children's brain cells are also dividing more quickly than those of adults, so they are more vulnerable to the effects of radiation. It is not conclusive that cell phones can cause cancer, but the World Health Organization has linked cell phone use to two types of brain tumors. You don't have to take my word for it, here's a CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/index.html

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 1:39:29 PM PDT
M. Scheel says:
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, you are right in saying that they are needed in todays society.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 2:08:37 PM PDT
L. Leverton says:
Everything seems to cause cancer. I'm not going through life with maybes'. The benefits outweigh the cons here. My son has had his own phone since he was 10 and I make him take it anywhere he goes without me. I want access to him at any time .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 3:21:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 3:26:33 PM PDT
Hmm.... cell phones, kids and cancer... if your kid looks like Pugsley Addams, your biggest concern is brain cancer later in life. If your kid looks like Wednesday Addams, get them a cell phone as your biggest concern is some pedophile throwing her cadaver down a ravine when he's done with her. As for cancer- Yeah and the rest of us figured out why they have that speakerphone feature, those who don't use it are the ones walking around oblivious to the world yakking away in the aisle at the store in our way.... consider the risk of cancer increases with the time they spent being boorish oafs in public. PROBLEM SOLVED, next?

As for the thread I'm kind of digging that John's phone thing. At least the concept. (google it. super simple phone, too bad it's an overpriced POS) It rings, displays the number that rings. That's about it. Comes with an onboard pad and paper to write down names and phone numbers.
Plenty of bare bones phones out there, pick one that's durable. If it's carriers you're asking about, Virgin Mobile was the best deal in town with their prepaid. They raised prices a bit recently but I grandfathered in my plan- full Android (Motorola Triumph similar to DroidX) with unlimited data, texting and messaging, 300 min talk which I've yet to exceed.... $25 a month no contract. NOBODY is even close. If I don't have the $25 I just walk away until I do then pay it. Not a dollar in penalties. (tho I'd have to restart a pan at the new $35 rate) The phone was $269 up front but they have simple phones starting around $20.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 4:03:17 PM PDT
Gray Malkmus says:
Get a Droid X2. They wont want a phone if it's not cool enough to show off. Also the Droid has internet, apps, and all of those goodies. The plan is not bad if you get the unlimited family plan. I use that, My entire family uses Droid X2s.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 5:02:02 PM PDT
Christina says:
Internet?! what do 10/11 year old's need the internet for? I can't imagine giving my 10 y/o child internet access when I'm not around, let alone a cell phone that will predispose them to cancer. We already know kids will have cell phones permanently glued to their heads when they get into high school...why do they need even more exposure to radiation as little children?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 7:32:04 PM PDT
Arrowriter says:
As a young adult, I have to say that not ALL of us (meaning my generation) have a cell phone glued to their heads. I personally find cell phones with internet access, apps, and the works a bit unnecessary. I have an LG Cosmos and it serves its purpose. For a ten and eleven year-old, I'd recommend something along the lines of a Razor. A basic flip phone that has buttons for texting and calling is all they need. I received a Razor as a 13 year-old so that my mom could contact me if I needed a ride home from soccer practice or a friends house.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 7:47:00 PM PDT
G. T. Smith says:
Absolutely not. Too much to have stolen, bullied, parents still need to supervise at this level. Schools still have telephones in the office to call home, not from the bathroom. Kids can text answers to test. Where is the line drawn? Parents are getting lazy to parent a child.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 7:53:20 PM PDT
Gray Malkmus says:
Really? Parents are not getting lazy. I think the line is drawn when you cannot trust your child with a cell phone. If they text the answers on a test, that's fine. But then they will no longer have a cell phone for the rest of the time they are living with the parents. The thing about bullying... I never had a problem like that because I was big enough to fight back. But if you are having a problem with being bullied over a cell phone, then you should just take it. Who cares? Just remember you have a cell phone, and they probably don't, and that should give you something to laugh about.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 8:43:07 PM PDT
10 sounds a bit young to give a cell phone to, IMHO. But if you must, get a cheap RAZR, and use FamilyMobile's plan. Unlimited voice and text for 70.00 for two lines. Internet can be added if needed. Better that than having overage charges!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 8:48:51 PM PDT
Wow, you guys have problems. The posted didn't ask what you opinion is on kids having phones. She wanted to get suggestions on the phones themselves. If you don't think kids need phones, will get cancer, will become more spoiled, ect, or if you think the parents are lazy, don't care about them enough, spoil them too much, etc, keep it to yourself! She didn't ask. Go rant about that on your little blog or some other forum.

The truth of reality is that kids should have an emergency line to reach their parents if necessary. Not all the bells and whistles of a phone, necessarily, but certainly something other than depending on others (like an office phone) and hoping that it's enough when an emergency strikes. Heck, I really liked those phones that Disney and other companies came out with where the phone only has 3 buttons on it, each one programed with a specific phone number. So no texting, no internet, no calling friends, just the ability to call mom, dad, or grandma/neighbor/emergency back-up, if necessary.

Of course, you could call me out on the fact that I just told you not to keep posting your opinion on whether kids need phones or not, then went on to post my opinion on the matter but, hey, can't blame me if it's a really good topic to discuss in the first place, lol.

Either way, original poster, I would definitely look into one of those specialized phones for younger kids. I believe the Disney-made one was called "firefly" or something like that, but I was told that they discontinued production of it (not by reliable source, though). I'm sure if you Google it you'll find other companies who reproduced the idea. Hope you found what you were looking for. :)

I know, when my kid is old enough, I will give them one of these specialized phones. When you take away the ability to call friends on it, you reduce the amount of time they're talking on their phones (and getting exposed to this supposed brain cancer) because mom and dad are not really that fun to talk to. I know I will feel much better knowing that my child can call me if anything goes wrong or if he needs me for any reason, without depending on the good will of others.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 4:15:57 AM PDT
Large says:
I'm 11 and I don't have a phone. THere have been many situations where I desperately neeeded then was worried and scared. Due to that I was promised one for Christmas. All my friends have one, im sure about 90% of the grade does.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 4:29:36 AM PDT
Sl Judge says:
My children are now 12, 16, 23 and 24. The two oldest had to get "pay as you go" phones and pay for them on their own as teens. However, we moved to a new state when my youngest was 6. I added the two younger on my plan with the MIGO phone. They were allowed to dial on 4 people and 911 in the event of an emergency. I was incredibly proud when my children used their cell phone to save a neighbors life when they found him on the ground. Although my children are never far from my sight, I like knowing they can reach me if needed at anytime. Who knows when a play date goes sour or something like that? FAST FORWARD to today - my son is now 12 and just got his first real "upgrade". He had been getting hand me downs before that. No internet for them at all. I refuse to let them be connected day and night. Give a child a responsibility and RULES and they will fly with it!!! As for phones....my kids love the querty keyboards because they text more than they call. Nothing outrageous - hwateveris free for an upgrade!

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 5:12:16 AM PDT
M. Scheel says:
I do not consider myself a lazy parent. I am sixty years old and have been the legal guardian for these two boys for the last 9 1/2 years. The cell phone idea came about due to an incident that one of my boys witnessed on the school bus and was scared. (No school office phone here)

Thanks for all the usefull information. I have been looking into the Kajeet service which advertises all types of parental controls that can be used. Anyone ever heard of them?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 5:21:17 AM PDT
L. LEVERTON says:
yes, on gottadeal.com at xmas last year, a discussion like this was going on. Many people on there reported using kajeet and liked it. As to the internet access, if they have xbox, nintendo or any other video game devices, they have full internet access. I often saw my son logged in on facebook while he was at school. He tells me they can do anything they want on the computers there. His dsi also has internet access as does my kindle ebook reader. It's a matter of if you trust the child, and I know from experience the harder you try to control them, the more they fight it.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 5:26:45 AM PDT
Gray Malkmus says:
I cannot understand why some of you don't allow your child to have Internet. Are they just horrible children that do not obey you so you are forced to not allow your kids to use Internet? If you can trust your kid, let them use the Internet, if not, don't give them a cell phone! If I were to use the arguments some of you are using, every child would die of brain cancer from using a phone! It's not like you are sticking your self in the microwave! Anyway, phones do not emit ionizing radiation, so they're not really that bad.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 2:23:54 PM PDT
Michael says:
I gave my 7 year old an iPhone 4. I was very leery and on the fence about doing this. Over the next school year, she literally went from a child that was requested to repeat first grade to the very top of her second grade class, in both reading and math.

Phones force your kids learn how to read, to think, to use technology. Once the results came in, I knew what I had to do. My 5 year old has had an iPod touch for a year now. The 8 year old has graduated to an iPad to go with her phone. And my 4 year old is next in line for the new iPod touch being introduced next week.

As for the radiation... I'm sorry guys. I know of nothing in this life that is not moving us all closer to death, breathing included. Everything has an element of danger to it... who's to say that phone won't short in the rain and dump all the power in the battery straight into your head and kill you? Just saying... is it worth being a Luddite?

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 4:23:58 PM PDT
Sl Judge says:
Gray, it's not that I don't trust my children with the internet. My children have full access to the internet at home in various forms. My point was that I don't feel that children "NEED" to walk around and access the internet all day long. There is a time and a place and the internet can be a very tempting place when you are ...let's say...bored in Math class. My feeling is that a phone with texting is plenty at their young ages. When they are working and they want to pay the additional $50+ a month for a full access data plan, then it will be different. Until then...at age 12...he can use his iPod Touch, his DS, his Wii, his laptop and now his soon to be Kindle Fire. He really doesn't need a toy in his pocket ALL the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 4:27:12 PM PDT
Gray Malkmus says:
Well in that case I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 5:14:08 PM PDT
AshleyT1 says:
I completely agree. My 9 year old really doesn't ever leave my sight (or the sight of another responsible adult) and he loses things constantly. I grudgingly concede the safety issue (for older kids) but would not purchase a phone for him until he reaches the age where he is spending a substantial amount of time away from his family.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 7:07:02 PM PDT
W. Brown says:
Hi all.my 10 year old sister I (i`m 21) have prepaid cell phones. it cost all of 10 dollars and came with double minutes for the life of the phone.got it from the local dollar general it`s the tracfone brand and almost always has reception.battery will last about a week,takes photos,a $20 card=120 min will last 5-6 months and is a tuff lil thing too boot.i accidently ran mine over with a 6,000lb truck (screen broke still made calls) and dropped it in a oil bucket wiped it off and it worked fine.my sister is almost always at one of her friends houses on the way home from school and it is nice to call her if we go somewhere spur of the moment,or if she gets in some kind bad situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:00:27 AM PDT
I fully agree. Many people did't realize pollution of radiation to young kids. Hopefully don't let your kids take risk. Alzeimer can be caused for various reasons doctors don't know.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Gift Idea forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gift Idea forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions