Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > GPS forum

GPS for the picky ubergeek bf

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2009 3:02:45 PM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
My BF would like a GPS. He's an ubergeek.
These are the things I know he wants in a GPS:
Voice directions
Free map updates (or at least cheap)
Ability to change the GPS voice (is that even possible??? He claims you can find Shatner or Bob Dylan's voice for the GPS)
Windows 7 compatible
Easy to use out of the box
Good battery life
Portable
Europe and US maps
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 1:44:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2009 1:55:04 AM PDT
S. zen says:
change the BF :), joking
I think the nuvi 285

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2009 2:55:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2009 3:14:02 AM PDT
Talby says:
Check out the Garmin Nuvi 500 - it is IPX7 waterproof, has auto / cycle / walk / hiking modes, 8hr battery charge, includes US street & topo maps. gpsmagazine has a good review on it (just put in "nuvi 500 review" in google, it's the #1 hit)

The garmin software worked for me in Win 7 RC so it should work on the retail verison (I have an old StreetPilot c340 and eTrex Vista HCx), but I can't imagine an ubergeek that does not have an old PC laying around with XP installed - if nothing else, for legacy hardware compatibility :)

Free maps... from my experience, the free street maps are never as good as the retail ones (regardless of manufacturer). I use free topo maps on my eTrex they are pretty good. Garmin seems to have the most free maps available since they are so popular. Check out mapsntrails and gpsfiledepot for free maps.

I did see some garmin voice updates available on my old streetpilot, no celeb voices just different accents - for custom / celeb voices you will probably have to subscribe & pay - check out pigtones and navtones

cheers

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 10:53:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2009 10:53:56 AM PDT
Neeraj Dalal says:
I have had a Nuvi 765 and a previous Tomtom. I suggest Tomtom because I liked how it displays more information on the screen than the nuvi. With the nuvi, I can get my speed/speed limit and one extra field, such as direction/time to destination/etc. With my old Tomtom I could display all of that information at once (I like having the estimated time of arrival and direction at the same time and miss that). As for voices, I found there were more for the Tomtom than the Nuvi, but I have not really looked for the Garmin since I enjoy having it say the street names out loud, which you can only do with a very limited set of voices. If all of you want is "turn left" and "third exit of round-a-bout" then go with Tomtom. I use to have Mr. T., John Cleese, and Eddy Izzard giving me directions, which was great fun. I am thinking of selling my nuvi and going back to Tomtom because I just find myself missing its features that Garmin is lacking in its attempt to stream line the interface.

Good luck (from a uber-tecky nerd)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 11:07:41 AM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
Thanks....I've been leaning towards a Tomtom especially for the voices. My bf has finally given me his list of what he wants in a GPS, and they're rather simple requests:
Multiple voices
Updatable maps
Can run on batteries or plugged into the car
Must speak turn by turn directions
So...a Tomtom, but which one? I'm not sure the Tomtom Live is the way to go; it seems like just a little bang for a lot of bucks.

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 2:04:22 PM PDT
R. Davis says:
Get the TomTom 630. If he's not happy with that he can't be pleased! You can download different voices if he's not happy with the ones already on the unit. The Live stuff costs extra. Check it out either here Best Buy or Amazon:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9263236&st=Tomtom+Go+630&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218071323898

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 11:03:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 6, 2009 11:04:04 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 7:16:17 AM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
Just curious....why the 630 over the 720 or 730? Are they basically the same, just newer models? Thanks for your help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the GPS forum (636 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 16, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions