Customer Discussions > GPS forum

GPS Re-Routing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2010 9:11:06 PM PST
I've been using a very basic Garmin nuvi for the past couple of years and find that, while it does ocasionally have some flaky behavior, it really works well and is easy to use.
But the one problem I keep having is that I have been on a hignway stuck in traffic only to exit and have the unit keep trying to get me back on that highway. I know that having the traffic feature will help on this case, but I have also experienced the same problem when a local road or bridge is unexpectedly closed. There may not be traffic, but I have to keep driving and guess when the unit will actual recalculate the route away from the original route.
So, my question is if there is a GPS which allows you to somehow indicate I want an alternate route if for some reason the original route is a problem?
Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 10:50:28 PM PST
Louie D says:
Tom Tom reroutes me automatically (I set it that way) around traffic all the time when I see a jam in front of me. It gives detailed traffic info (delay in minutes with option to change if auto reroute is not set) so you don't have to look at the screen.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 6:28:19 PM PST
K. Clarke says:
I just got the Garmin 1450lmt and it has a detore button. The way it works is you have to wait until what you want to detore from is your next turn. You just go back to the home screen (one tap) and hit the detore button next to the cancel route button. From there it reroutes you down a different road. I know this might sound like a pain and it maybe it is but I was just very happy to find a detore/avoid button since we have a false road down the road from me and it see that road as the fastest or shortest road out of my area. Remember though you cannot plan ahead 50 miles or so to detore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 7:08:26 PM PST
Thanks that sounds pretty promising. I do like Garmin anyway. Thanks for the feedback, and have a great New Year!

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 5:20:16 PM PST
My dad just mutes his Nuvi until it realizes he's on a detour. :) The tomtom my brother has is much quicker to realize the original route is not being taken and recalculates optional routes faster.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 4:26:19 AM PST
I have always had problems with Garmin reroutes when they sometimes come too late or I am in the far left lane and it tells me to go right in 100 feet. The tomtom I borrowed was always spot on so I ended up getting one.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:53:36 AM PDT
Taco Monster says:
Garmin rerouting and detours (two somewhat different features) are a mixed bag. Sometimes they've worked very well (getting around accidents ahead I didn't even know about till picking up traffic info over the radio while being rerouted; or getting me around congestion in unfamiliar areas and still arrive on time), and sometimes they work poorly (being told to make a Left during rush hour that really couldn't be done, or being sent back to the main road too soon).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 2:47:55 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
??!? What is detore? Are you talking about a detour?

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 1:44:52 PM PST
Taco Monster says:
I know this is a late answer but the "detour" feature is on the opening screen of the Garmin. It becomes an active/useable link when you are following a pre-planned route. To use it, you touch the "return" icon from the map in progress, and there you have the options to STOP entirely or select DETOUR. As I said earlier sometimes it can be amazing. Another time, it had me take the next exit which instead of crossing the road at a right angle actually backtracked a bit imagine a 45 degree angle. The software then tried to get me on the next available exit which was the one I left.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions