Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > GPS forum

English speaking GPS for use in Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2010 5:01:16 AM PDT
Rachel R says:
Can anyone help with me with recommendations on the best GPS system for my car for use in Japan? I am stationed with my husband in the Tokyo area and the GPS systems are all in Japanese. I am having a hard time trying to figure out if systems like Garmin have the ability to move from country to country. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time I have purchased a GPS system.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 5:00:06 AM PST
I'm looking for the same thing. Have you had any luck

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 4:37:44 AM PST
There are a very few Japanese maps compatible with Garmin devices (some free), and there's a reason for that. In North America and Europe we use streets and numbers for destination entries. Not so in Japan, where landmarks or POI's are often used. In fact most residential streets don't have names at all. Do a Google Search for "banchi address system" for a better explanation on how it works. In a nutshell, GPS models built for much of the world will have a difficult time in Japan. You'll be better off with a Japanese model, and I suspect there's at least a couple that offer an English translation. I'd search out models from Sony as a possible candidate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 2:40:30 PM PST
Thank you sir!!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:25:58 AM PST
20MM says:
Here is the GPS in Japan information:

http://yokota.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=195

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:47:09 AM PDT
Taco Monster says:
Garmin gives you language options as well as speaking voices. Is your GPS displaying in English? If not get some tech savvy Japanese person to change the display to English. There are two related options -- one is the speaker's voice which indicates an affiliated country, and another is the language rules to use. You should be able to choose American/Canadian/British/Australian english regardless of where you use the GPS.

However, looking up addresses and street names when the names may not be stored with roman style scripting is another matter. Once you get the other stuff fixed, experimenting with a Japanese person nearby might help you find a way to make it happen. One other thing ... see if you can find an ex-pat organization where people who've lived there a long time may be able to offer you pointers.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 3:33:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 3:38:33 PM PDT
20MM says:
https://sites.google.com/site/englishgpsforjapan/

For some reason the whole link won't paste in here just cut and paste it in your browser.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the GPS forum (636 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  May 10, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions