Customer Discussions > GPS forum

Spoken Street Names

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2011 7:39:58 AM PST
Is the Magellan the only one that say the exact road name rather than a "turn here"? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 11:41:06 PM PST
R says:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong for stating this, but I believe most makes will.

Well, ok. I say that with the understanding that the specific model is capable of saying street names as there are some lower priced ones by each manufacturer that will not and instead simply announce <quote> turn here <unquote>.

Best to look on the manufacturers product page to determine the/a devices capabilities.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 9:24:50 AM PST
swav kojro says:
From buying mine 2 years ago I found that all manufacturers have spoken street names, but not in their lower cost versions. At that time it was about $50 between spoken street and turn here. Look for spoken street in the description.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 1:05:23 AM PST
Magellan will announce street names. And you can have it state where you are.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 5:33:21 AM PST
Texas boy says:
If you want s real nice gps the Garmin nuvi 1300 is a great unit and it has blue
tooth so you can make calls threw the gps and be hands free so you may drive safe
The unit speaks the name of the streets so it is really nice to read the street signs as you turn and you hear the street name being spoken so no more turning down the wrong road like I was always doing before with my old one.
JUst in the fuel alone you will save money that pays for it self buying a nicer unit
Best of all .Instead of looking at your gps trying to figure out if you are turning onto the right road you can keep your eyes on the road and you might just save someones life
What is really cool lets say you want to find a business to go buy something you type the name or the type of business it is and it comes up with there name of business,address how far from were you are at and how many minutes to get there,and there phone number and you can also press talk on the gps and you can call the place you were looking for straight threw the gps it has a built in mic so you can lay your phone down on the seat and not stuck to your head .
Running low on fuel press a fuel finder button and up pops all the gas stations that are nearest to you and it gives you the direction and list the closest ones first and you can press or if you are out of gas the list you a ton of gas stations and again you will also have there number to call for help and your gps will tell you within 30 ft were you are at for them to come help you out
Lets say your are in a new town and you need to find parking it will do that too
or if you need a atm machine thats on ther too
All around I am totaly happy that I bought this unit and no more trying to figure out a number to a store or the short cuts to get there fast
Ow and it has what the speed limit is on the road your are driving on posted and right next to it how fast you are driving and when you break the speed limit your speed you are going will turn red ,how cool is that it turns red were you know that you need to slow down.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:26:55 AM PST
If you want spoken street names that feature is also called text-to-speech or TTS.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:48:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 5:50:04 AM PDT
My 1450LMT does not speak/announce street names. I am trying to find out why.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 1:10:17 PM PDT
Check your settings. Under Language (I think). You must have a language selected which is text-to-speech (TTL).
- Doug@TravelByGPS.com

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 2:09:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 2:10:58 PM PDT
R says:
I feel rather silly stating this but also check your Mute and Volume settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 7:50:09 PM PDT
Thank you for your reply. Problem solved. I had to delete some info and then re-boot the device.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:55:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 5:57:40 AM PDT
To Garmin 1450 LMT, could you be more specific as to how you were able to get TTS? I went to language under tools and could not find any option that would allow me to get TTS on my 1450 LMT, any other thoughts ??

Tks. Ralph

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 9:20:08 AM PDT
Taco Monster says:
Even if a model is capable of speaking street names, 3rd party custom voices don't. Same with spoken highway numbers/names.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 11:19:07 AM PDT
apuzzler says:
I was having the problem with it not speaking names--I finally found the problem--I had the voice set to Michelle, but if you pick Jill it says right beside that name that she speaks street names. This is on the Nuvi 2455

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 10:08:06 AM PST
The speech function is nice, but I am in Canada, and when I travelled to Quebec, the software had a terrible time with French street names. It really was a humourous situation.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2014 2:32:10 PM PDT
This was exactly my problem! Maybe on a map upgrade or something, my voice was changed to another female voice, Changing it to "Jill" which as you said it has "speaks street names" beside it, worked! Thanks for this clue almost a year later! :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the GPS forum (633 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions