Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > GPS forum

Is there a GPS unit that lets you build a route?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2011 10:10:39 AM PST
J. L. Torres says:
I ride motorcycles quite often and can build the route i want to take Google Maps, but when i transfer them to my Nuvi 250w all I get a waypoints, then the unit calculates its own route (usually the shortest or fastest depending on settings).

Neither of these is what I want when I'm looking to take a leisure ride using the back roads. Does anyone know of a GPS unit that allows the user to build their own route?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 10:37:43 AM PST
Check out the Nuvi 1490T. You can manually build up to 10 routes using 'via' or what we used to call waypoints. Not the most sophisticated unit but it works and has been around a while so most of the bugs are hopefully fixed. And of course the Amazon price is right.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:24:31 AM PST
Look for Garmin units that feature "Advanced Navigation"

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:40:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 7:46:25 AM PDT
doug says:
a

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:14:54 AM PDT
AlanWR says:
Probably the best motorcycle GPS is the Garmin Zumo series, 660 and 665. It comes with mapping software for your PC that allows you to create your route (or create it right on the Zumo) with as many waypoints as is necessary to form your route. It is also water proof and comes with a motorcycle and auto mount. Has Bluetooth and lots more. Shop for best price. I use the Zumo 660 and love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 10:11:51 AM PDT
woodyt74 says:
I've heard good things about the Zumo series but I can't justify paying nearly 5 times more for a smaller GPS just because it's waterproof and labeled for a motorcycle. I wish there were a more cost effective solution.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 6:26:29 PM PST
A. Tolson says:
There's an iPad app now that let's you build a route on top of Google Maps. Here's a link to their video: badgermapping.com/products/sidekick

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 12:45:35 PM PST
Leslie says:
Hi, not sure whether this will help however I use the Amber Alert GPS devise that was designed for Safety and Peace of Mind. It has many options and works in conjunction with your cell phone or a lap top. If you have created a route you can set a zone and when you enter the zone it will alert you, breadcrumb your path and at any time it will provide a satellite view of where you are. It will then allow you to narrow your location down within 3 meters. It also provides other features like an SOS button and alerts that can be set by you as the main user and then be connected with up to 10 other people that you may want to be notified with your location, have an emergency etc. For more information I recommend going to their web site at www.amberalertgps.com I use it as I'm an outdoor enthusiast. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 4:52:12 PM PDT
Jake B. says:
I've used the Badger Map before - I've tried several and I think that its the best App for Salespeople
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the GPS forum (636 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2011
Latest post:  May 31, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions