Customer Discussions > GPS forum

Best GPs with European maps?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2011 10:22:58 AM PST
I need a GPS for one time use in Europe. Been looking at Garmin 1370t or 275t. Any recommendations? All comments will be helpful
Tanks in advance, Dan G.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 2:53:48 PM PST
Rick Wise says:
I went motorcycling in Italy and wanted a GPS, I just went to eBay and picked up a used Magellen European GPS for $37.00 and it worked great.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 6:15:04 AM PST
darn ... it used to be that one can just search for "gps europe" and find GPS with european maps. Now all GPS units show up in the search because of this discussion thread. Great going amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 1:46:21 PM PST
Garmin nüvi 1370/1370T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic
Scroll down to "product description" and you will see a "Garmin Compare All Products" button. This will pop open a new window and list all Garmin GPS. From there you can select to filter devices that have Europe Maps installed (there are currently 4 nuvi models).
I realize this won't help searching for TomTom or Magellan models but at least you can compare the 4 models offered by Garmin that come preloaded with European maps.
I myself haven't decided on a model and I've been looking at the Garmin models with Europe map loaded. Decisions, decisions...

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 5:53:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2011 5:56:08 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 6:59:17 PM PST
Steven Dines says:
Just bought a garmin nuvi 265WT at costco for around $110.00 - also need it fore a europe trip

Ordered an SD card with europe maps - should arrive within a week

I originally tried to download the maps - then discovered insufficient built in storage - that's when I decided to just order a preloaded SD card from garmin - same price as the download

I like the device - works well so far in the US

Steve

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 7:11:07 AM PST
mike salomaa says:
Have a 1370 wide screen that worked perfectly last spring on a trip that started in Dublin and ended in Helsinki. All travel was by train and ferry except for a car in Finland. Even warned you of speed cameras in Finland. City guides for foot travel worked great.

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 3:42:54 PM PST
I want the ability to "pre-plan" Europe routes from my computer and transfer (or save) to the GPS. I have owned TomTom GPS before and been pleased with the TomTom Home software that allows this. Does Garmin have this ability? From what I read, it will only work if you get the DVD for the Europe maps, install to computer then transfer to microSD. Help...???

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 3:45:56 PM PST
Yes, you can plan trips on computer using Garmin's own Mapsource or free Basecamp software. You could also build the route with MapQuest and transfer it to the compatible Garmin model. Also, Tomtom does NOT have their own computer-based software for route building, but you could be confusing it with a third party program called TYRE (Take Your Route Everytime). That program also works for Garmin devices if you wanted to. Note that it's no longer compatible with Tomtom's latest models. TomTom has disabled all third party programs for their new gps's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 6:52:37 AM PST
Larry B says:
My wife and I toured Germany, Austria, and Holland using a Garmin 1370T. We wouldn,t go again without it or something better. German roads are not well marked. The voice commands were life savers.

On the down side: The Garmin pronounciation of names is terrible in the USA. It is worse in Germany. This should not be the case since German is very regular in spelling.

The preferrence for using local names instead of state and city route numbers is even more of a problem in Germany than the USA. You learn to ignore those and wait for turn commands.

But, it gets you there. I don't think we could have navigated Bremen with a map. Street signs were almost non existant. Lots of one ways and alleys. We just trusted in Garmi and she lead us like Moses in the desert.

I would recommend this product, but look for an improved model that addresses it's shortcomings in route names and pronounciation.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:26:11 PM PST
I have the Garmin 270 which is a nice little GPS 3.5" screen that I have been using on my my motorcylce for about 3 years. It has European maps as well as US maps. I have not taken it to Europe yet but it works just fine in the USA. This is probably a moot point by now.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 7:27:19 AM PST
Most Garmin GPS units with a "7" in the middle of the model number (i.e. nuvi 1370, nuvi 275) are "transatlantic." versions they cost a bit more, maybe $100 over GPS units that come with just maps of USA and Canada. A better option is to buy the less expensive model and then purchase the SD-card version of the Europe map, specifically: Garmin City Navigator Europe. This is particularly advantageous if you are not planning to take many trips to Europe, because with the map on the card, you can share it, give it to a friend, or you can sell it! So, it is like renting the map. If you purchase the download version of the map it will be locked to your GPS and you can not recover your cost unless you sell the entire GPS unit. Also, if you decide to upgrade your GPS, or it stops working, you can use the map on SD-card in your new GPS. And not just Europe, at Amazon, you can find GPS maps on SD-cards for Japan, and Central America.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 2:51:52 AM PST
Blood says:
?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 11:24:54 AM PST
Hello
I am going very frequent to Germany Austria and Switzerland. I tried several ones. Nothing compared to TOM TOM. I have Go720 several years ago, and tried Nuvi, but tehre is no comparrision at all. TOMTOM is more accurate and stright forward to use. Its IQ intellegent maps make it 2nd to none in GPS. I bought this in USA 2008, but used it more than 4 trips since then in Euorope, it does really have avery uncompearble features. Its neitherland origion made it best choice for Europ. In europe you do really need a true GPS, because roards are rather tight and locations are rather closer not like the big fancy and roomy layout in USA. You will not regret this advise.

Fawzi, Khobar, Saudi Arabia

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 9:33:44 AM PDT
Gotglasses says:
I too liked my Tom Tom - but the maps are now outdated. The Garmin CityXPlorer metro maps are way better, especially for Metro Rail use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:49:29 AM PST
Brookfield says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 9:42:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2013 9:46:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 9:44:49 AM PST
Kathy Allen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 8:38:55 PM PDT
German roads are NOT well marked. The same road can have different numbers; the signs list destinations and if you do not know where the small town is located in reference to your route, you are cooked; the signs do not tell you whether you are going north, south, east, or west, you are on your own as to whether the exit you take, with just a city name (see above), is in the direction that you want to go. In my opinion, very poor signaling. France is not much better.

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:47:23 AM PDT
Do any GPS maps include identification of the TLZ (restricted areas) in Italy? Some include warnings for traffic cameras..would those do the same thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2013 9:02:19 PM PDT
MpNc_Amaz0n says:
I know and I agree with you. Google or whoever you used as search tool, will become smarter sometimes. For now - money goes to google pockets, and as long as money is the first target, quality is to be chosen on a 2nd place (unfortunately). Let's hope for the best though, as google was good as listening to us... they will come back. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2013 9:03:17 PM PDT
MpNc_Amaz0n says:
You must have purchased Garmin, but they are full of commercials/ads now. I'll never choose them, unfortunately - as they do indeed have great maps, but for more ads, no thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 6:29:13 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2014 6:30:08 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  GPS forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions