Customer Discussions > Graphic Novel forum

New to Marvel universe. Need suggestions.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2012 2:36:54 PM PDT
Luvlee says:
I'm kind of new to the Marvel universe. I've decided to start reading some of the stuff because I love the Avengers phase one set of movies. I have Captain America Winter Soldier and Black Widow Deadly Origin. What other titles would you guys suggest.

Doesn't have to all be related to the Avengers can be any other Marvel universe character.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:56:30 PM PDT
Esgaldil says:
The Ultimates is a retelling of the Avengers story that requires no previous experience with comics. The movie actually takes a lot from The Ultimates - the look and role of Iron Man, Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Hawkeye, for example. It's got much more sex and violence and politics than most regular Marvel titles, and it's certainly not for everyone.

A different connection to Avengers is Joss Whedon, the director of the movie (and creator of TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Dollhouse). He wrote a very fine run of Astonishing X-Men, collected in an Omnibus or as a set of four trades (just search for Whedon X-Men). If you've seen the X-Men movies (whether or not you liked them) you probably have enough backstory to jump in, although that series does refer back to many older stories, especially the Claremont and Morrison runs, which are worth reading for their own sake.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 3:32:41 AM PDT
I second the Ultimates and also check out Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X-Men. With other Marvel comics there's a lot of history involved and it can get very tiring very quickly. Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon is in omnibus format and a definite pick. Classic Deadpool is good fun and they have 6 volumes out now in tpb.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 5:23:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 6:44:12 AM PDT
Jaime B. says:
The cool thing about Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run is that it was written for people who knows zilch about X-Men. Very new reader friendly. The Dark Avengers Omnibus by Brian Bendis and Mike Deodato. The Dark Avengers are composed of a group of supervillains, formerly known as The Thunderbolts. Dark Avengers put the real Avengers on the run. A really fun book with a great story and beautiful art. The Fantastic Four, World's Greatest by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. From the same creative team of The Ultimates. One of my favorite runs of The Fantastic Four, loaded with far out scientific concepts and ideas. Such as a man made earth constructed in a man made universe of it's own. Terrific stuff worth checking out. If you really want to start where it all began, then try "Marvel Firsts, 1960s". It's the light and fun Silver Age stuff, with the origin stories of all the major, and not so major characters from Ant Man to The X-Men. Check it out. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 7:20:03 AM PDT
SPIDER-MAN.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:47:47 AM PDT
I agree with Ultimates and Astonishing X-Men, but I would also add:
Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares
Thor, Vol. 1
Incredible Hercules Vol. 1: Against The World
Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk
The Thanos Imperative
Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 1:25:07 PM PDT
Jesse Willey says:
For Spider-Man all you'll ever need is Kraven's Last Hunt/Fearful Symetry.

I'd recommend Peter David's run on Hulk from start to finish and BOTH of his runs on X-Factor.

Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck and Man-Thing.

Claremont's X-Men.

and just for good measure

Louise Simonson's run on Power Pack.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:34:55 PM PST
Frankie D says:
Read the X-Men Messiash Complex and the Second coming. The Civil War. Just the main one the others are a bunch of filler crap. Most of the stuff that these guys said.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Graphic Novel forum (144 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Graphic Novel forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jul 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions