Customer Discussions > Graphics forum

Zbrush 4 or Mudbox 2012?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2011 2:03:33 PM PDT
I was looking over both products over the past few months, and come either this weekend, or early next week, I will be ready to pull the trigger on one of these babies. Now the question is, which offers the better bang for the buck? I've used Sculptris Alpha 6 since Pixologic took over the project, but whether to upgrade from Sculptris to Zbrush 4, or to stab Pixologic in the back and go with Autodesk, and grab Mudbox, that's got my head pounding to determine which way to lean here. Anyone that can get me out of this jam will have 100% appreciation from me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 7:57:35 PM PDT
SexyBlonde says:
Continue on with Zbrush, Pixologic has offered amazing (free) support for it since its incarnation and Zbrush 4 R2 is a serious gamechanger.
The new Dynamesh feature is amazing and should be a little familiar to you coming from Sculptris.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:28:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2011 4:44:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 4:48:17 AM PDT
Okay... Thank you SexyBlonde, with that in mind, I was able to pick up both ZBrush 4 and Introducing ZBrush 4 today. Let's hope that this will get me started in a good way with my quest to get into digital sculpting once and for all. Plus I notice that Zbrush is more widely supported, too in other modeling apps across the board. So thanks for the heads up on that. I'll tell you how things go once the software, and Eric Keller's tutorial arrives.

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 4:02:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2011 4:04:03 AM PDT
SexyBlonde says:
I suggest checking out ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy as well, it is without a doubt the best book to get started in Zbrush with for human sculpting, actually it's the best tutorial set I've ever owned period.

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 1:31:09 PM PDT
Good to hear. Actually, I was surprised when I also found out that I qualified for an Educational Account with Autodesk as well, so that makes it kind of win-win. That way I can actually have student versions of Mudbox and Maya, while also using the full-blown license of Zbrush as well on another PC. That was nice, because I would have never otherwise been able to afford 3ds Max OR Maya. However, I'm keeping the Autodesk stuff on a separate computer so I can use those for learning/non-commercial models, while using Zbrush 4, Carrara 8 Pro, Poser Pro 2012, and Photoshop Extended on another machine where I can do commercial work. So we'll see how things go. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 1:17:04 PM PDT
R. Theriault says:
how did you obtain Educational status?

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:31:35 PM PDT
I qualified under a faculty account, since I work for a local government agency that provides educational and vocational training for special needs people. Otherwise, outside of Mudbox, I wouldn't really be able to afford a full-on 3ds Max or Maya license (even tho I do like Blender, I still think that to move from hobbyist to professional status, you'd still need to know the "big guns" in the modeling world).

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 10:03:51 PM PDT
max and mudbox

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:33:12 PM PDT
Exactly. :)

Although I'm more used to the Maya style of modeling over Max's, but that's very much true that whether you choose Maya or Max, they'll both work equally with Mudbox.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Graphics forum (3 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Graphics forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions