Customer Discussions > greatest jazz albums forum

Define Jazz...please, as we have different views

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2010 11:41:42 AM PDT
Rosemary Clooney but no Anita O'Day or June Christy? (and I love Rosie with Basie and James, an overlooked jazz singer) No mention of Stan Kenton arguably the most important jazz orchestra of the so-called modern jazz period. And, I don't see Teddy Wilson (you've certainly heard of The Benny Goodman Quartet and Quintet...or have you.). Bud Powell an MIA? Please get serious. So many greats are missing that it's not worth arguing the point. This is not a list for serious (or especially new) jazz listeners but a list intended to create disagreements and name dropping. I love Herb Alpert & The TJB but Herb never claimed to be a jazz artist. Woody Herman WAS a jazz artists and the missing names are conspicuous by their absence. Joe M. Hayes, Del Mar, CA

Posted on May 11, 2010 11:46:46 AM PDT
I just noticed. No Charlie Parker. No Charlie Haden? It's a joke, right?

Posted on May 11, 2010 12:28:46 PM PDT
Let me answer my own question as no one will read this in any event. IT'S NOT A JOKE! It's a marketing ploy that's all and I, for one, resent it. Come on Amazon.com you should be better than this. You pay graphics and advertising people to come up with what appears to be "great deal on JAZZ." It's not even a half-baked list of jazz greats or the "greatest jazz albums of all time." It's a sales tool. A sentimental shot in the arm for sales (to paraphrase Stan Freberg in "Green Christmas"). We have a list of pop singers omitting the likes of Eddie Jefferson and Mark Murphy and the aforementioned Anita O'Day and June Christy, you ignore classic without question jazz orchestras such as Stan Kenton, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Francie Boland/Kenny Clarke, etc. and leave out Charlie Parker for the Tijuana Brass, who albeit were a marvelous pop group, were never considered a jazz ensemble. Why not more of Kenny J. (I know, Kenny G. but I misspell it out of disrespect as he's no jazz artist either) as you have room having left out Teddy Wilson, Fats Waller, Bud Powell and countless others including Barney Kessel and Joe Pass. Was Charlie Christian listed or Django? Probably as the list seems to be more of what Amazon.com has in overloaded back inventory as opposed to real jazz or, dare I say, popular jazz (real jazz). I'm insulted so please in the future if you send me "deals" don't make absurd attempts to sell overstocked items. Joe M. Hayes, Del Mar, CA
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the greatest jazz albums forum (51 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Are You Guys Nuts? 115 4 days ago
A chronological listing of the 100 best albums would be preferable 2 Nov 9, 2014
Serious omissions 16 Dec 29, 2013
Surprised by the Coleman #1 - Shockingly Correct for Once 1 Oct 18, 2013
in 100 albums, 2 only predate 1950 1 Sep 23, 2013
Benny Goodman? 4 Jul 22, 2013
No Sinatra Really? 12 Dec 22, 2012
Holiday Jazz 0 Dec 10, 2010
100 Greatest Jazz Albums 2 Sep 9, 2010
How many albums were considered? 15,000? 25000? 0 May 29, 2010
Really? 1 May 11, 2010
An Insult to Jazz Fans 1 May 11, 2010

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  May 11, 2010
Latest post:  May 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions