Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Guitar forum

Does anyone know anything about "Hagstrom guitars" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2011 11:01:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2011 11:16:48 AM PDT
C. J. says:
Hagstrom Viking Electric Guitar (Left Handed, Wild Cherry Transparent)Hagstrom Super Swede Electric Guitar (Left Handed, Black Gloss)Hagstrom Viking II UltraLux Left-Handed Electric Guitar (Cosmic Black Burst)

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 11:26:36 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Hagstrom is a Swedish guitar company. Back in the '50s and '60s in the UK, when American Fenders and Gibsons weren't readily available, Hagstrom was one of the European brands that English guitar players used. I believe Hagstrom guitars are more associated with beat music and pop rather than the progressive rock and blues of '60s English rock.

I haven't played one, but judging from reviews, the reputation of modern Hagstroms is respectable. Franz Ferdinand sometimes plays Hagstroms live:

http://www.kindamuzik.net/gfx/franzferdinand-live1-0204.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 11:37:32 AM PDT
C. J. says:
I am just starting to play guitar . I was looking on amazon for gretsch guitars and saw Hagstrom . Thanks for responding to the question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 5:17:20 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
D., I think I remember seeing an add for the modern Hagstrom Viking with an old picture of Frank Zappa holding a Hagstrom guitar, so there is at least one connection to progressive styles. And it's Zappa, so that's a pretty big connection at that. Though, other than that, I don't really know much about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 5:18:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2011 5:21:32 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
This post didn't add to the discussion, as it was a repeat of the post directly above it.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 11:34:41 AM PDT
I believe Jan Akkerman from the band "Focus" was a Hagstrom Swede player so they can rock out. I used to have a Hagstrom 8 string bass years ago. If you go to Youtube there is a guy noodling around on one with a touch of reverb that sounds great.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 1:44:52 AM PDT
Gil Gosseyn says:
I got a white Hagstrom II (looked like the current F20T solid body double cutaway, but with a Fender-type head with all the keys on top) for Christmas in 1967, and it was an amazing guitar. Every bit as good as a Fender, but with a much thinner neck, making it easier and faster to play. It was a great guitar, excellent sound, and I wish I still had it today. Don't believe "D. Mok", these guitars have been used by some of the hottest rockers down through the years. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hagstr%C3%B6m_users and see for yourself. The H-bar brace lets them make the neck thinner than any others I've ever seen, but keeps it straight and warp-free. It's so straigght, it would even allow you to lower the strings at the bridge for faster action. Check them out, you'll be glad you did.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 8:52:22 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Don't believe "D. Mok", these guitars have been used by some of the hottest rockers
> down through the years.

You're out of line. All I wrote was that Hagstroms were MORE associated with one type of music than another.

And just because many famous players "have played" Hagstroms on occasion doesn't make them "Hagstrom players". Just because Jimmy Page played a Kay guitar when he was 13 doesn't make him a "Kay player". Kurt Cobain was mostly a Jaguar, Mustang and Jag-Stang player, Billy Gibbons is a Les Paul and Gretsch player. James Hetfield co-opted a Gibson EDS-1275 for "Nothing Else Matters" in concert; he's an ESP player.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 9:57:24 AM PDT
C. J. says:
I am considering the Hagstrom Viking Electric Guitar (Left-handed, Wild Cherry Transparent ) . I bought a Stagg Left-handed acoustic electric guitar(its really big) and I'm having trouble reaching some of the chords on it. I saw the Gretsch guitars online but the price is a little more than I want to invest right now . When I came on amazon they pulled up other guitars considered like the Gretsch and Hagstrom was on the list. I just don't want to waste my money on the wrong guitar(again).I think the thin neck may work better than the one I have....

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 11:45:48 AM PDT
I own a Hagstrom Viking Electric Guitar, and I love it! The neck is great. It will rock AC/DC, Black Keys or punk or even some SOAD. But that's about as heavy as you'd want to go with it. I also use it for jazz. It's quite versatile. Search "hagstrom viking guitarworld" on youtube and there is a nice review of it. It's what convinced me to buy. I should let you know I had to have a little fret dressing done when I first got it due to some string buzz but other than that no issues and it has been fantastic. I think the Viking is one of the best values out there today.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 1:18:10 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> I am considering the Hagstrom Viking Electric Guitar (Left-handed, Wild Cherry Transparent)
> I bought a Stagg Left-handed acoustic electric guitar(its really big) and I'm having trouble
> reaching some of the chords on it.

You should try to find a local dealer, then, if possible, and play the guitar in person. You can't judge feel over the internet, and feel is not something you can get from third-party recommendations, either. I feel more comfortable on thick necks that aren't too wide; doesn't mean it'll be the same for you. Hagstrom is just one of many options. For semi-hollow archtops, for example, you can try Eastwood guitars, Ibanez and Epiphone archtops, Italia...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 12:47:43 AM PDT
C. J. says:
Thanks for telling me from first hand experience.Now I really want to get one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 1:03:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 1:05:16 AM PDT
C. J. says:
D. Mok .......I bought the first guitar in person at a local music store. It was the only left-handed guitar they had. I have tried to play right-handed it just doesn't work for me. I was just happy to find one at all. Now I feel that I almost have to fight the guitar to let me play it.....That is why I am looking for another one this soon . I have heard and read bad reviews for the Epiphone guitars so I am not too sure about those. i really don't know what to buy I have heard that electric guitars are easier to learn to play than acoustic electrics ......I just want one that fits my hands better , its really hindering me...I will be glad for any advice ....Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 10:31:09 PM PDT
S. Dignam says:
I can't say anything abut the viking, but i have a Hagstrom Ultra Swede. This guitar is brilliant, especially for the cost, athe action is perfect, never goes out of tune, just a damn sweet rock solid guitar. I used to own a Charvel and the action on this easily compares, very versatile guitar. The pickups for what they are, are pretty good, but i have just recently decided to add some emg's. Personally i love Hagstrom guitars, they pretty much slaughter almost anything else in their price range.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 6:09:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2011 6:10:22 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
The Swede,,,this is what i remember most about Hagstrom,,,Larry Coryell endorsed these in the '70s and was photographed with one for his late '70s release "Return" (good little record, btw). This was abit of a Les Paul knockoff with an extra switch,,,not sure what the extra switch did, though.

Antinomus mentioned an ad with Frank Zappa and the Viking. Seem to recall Dweezil was holding a reissue accompanied with a photo of his dad and an original model, same pose, same chair, even. Pretty cool. Looked like the reissue had more upper fret access. Never played a Hagstrom myself, however.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 6:37:24 AM PDT
Although not exactly a endorsment to buy one, didn't Elvis have a Hagstrom Viking in some photos in the late sixties?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 8:31:57 AM PDT
C. J. says:
I know that Elvis borrowed Scotty Moore's Gibson Super 400 CES guitar to play during the 1968 comeback special (he swaps an acoustic guitar( another Gibson I think) with Scotty during the show). It was on display at one of the Hardrock Cafe's at some point in the past. I don't know if Elvis ever played a Hagstrom or not.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 8:59:01 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Although not exactly a endorsment to buy one, didn't Elvis have a Hagstrom Viking in
> some photos in the late sixties?

Yes, he did.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 9:00:58 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
CJ, if you have a good deal on a vintage hagstrom just snag it...I remember them as well constructed guitars....I seem to remember it had a "strat" type headstock, but a ES 330 type body with f holes....nice low action & was a decent sounding axe too...(it may have had dearmond pick ups too)....good luck * & I agree, you need to find the "right one" before you plunk down yer bucks/ take your time & happy hunting.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 9:13:37 AM PDT
C. J. says:
The Gibson that I mentioned that Elvis played on the comeback special can be seen at www.scottymoore.net/63S400.html.....it was a 1963 (I left that out before)

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 9:35:41 AM PDT
C. J. says:
Ok , I found the Hagstrom Elvis played www.scottymoore.net/ep68hagstrom.html and Elvis' Gretsch on www.scottymoore.net/ep64Gretsch.html Thanks D.Mok for the info. so I would look for all these Guitars. I still am not sure what to buy the price has a big part in it and the left handed thing too.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 11:12:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2011 11:15:03 AM PDT
Cee Jay, "Vintage Guitar" reviewed one of these Hagstroms several years ago and liked them. You being left handed really limits your selection when you're watching your spending limit. I think Gibson used to charge 15% over list to make a left handed guitar. G&L is the only major company I can think of off the top of my head who doesn't charge any more for a lefty. Ironicly, there is strong evidence Orville Gibson himself was left handed.Go check reviews of new Hagstroms and go with your gut. I bought my Takamine G series 12 string on line and am happy with what was delivered.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 8:35:13 AM PDT
A friend of mine in a rival 60s garage band played a Hagstrom bass. Check out this link. From Kurt Cobain to Noel Redding (bass player for Jimi Hendrix Experience) to Elvis. It's an awesome guitar... http://www.hagstrom.org.uk/hagstrom_fans.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 10:02:53 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Didn't they make an 8 String Bass? I think Jimi used Noel's for Little Miss Lover from Axis.

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 11:47:34 AM PDT
C. J. says:
Ok , I ordered the Hagstrom Viking Electric (Left-Handed Wild Cherry , Transparent) and the hard case for it . Now, I can't wait to get it......I really hope its the right one ......I even paid extra for fast shipping !!! I have already ordered and received a lot of guitar books from amazon maybe now I can really use them. Now I need advice on the right amp for it !!!Please help me figure that out too !!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Guitar forum (189 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Guitar Player Magazine Discussion, Slight Return 299 12 hours ago
Lightweight Electric 27 11 days ago
Guitarist Steve Saluto New Album "The Power Of 6 Flowers" Out On June 6, 2016 0 12 days ago
Guitar Player Magazine Discussion 9999 May 3, 2016
Low-Wattage Tube Amps 112 May 1, 2016
What's Your Favorite Wah-Wha'd Solo ? 17 Apr 30, 2016
Does anybody know the difference between a Gibson Dove and Gibson Hummingbird? 12 Mar 13, 2016
Does anyone know anything about "Hagstrom guitars" ? 52 Sep 19, 2015
how to buy your first/second guitar 8 Sep 1, 2015
Got 5 minutes spare? Write a review for fenderfans.com and earn money for charity 1 Jul 3, 2015
You Tube videos about guitar stuff and guitar music etc. 10 Apr 17, 2015
Help?! Need to buy a guitar for Xmas 2 Dec 21, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Guitar forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions