Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Television forum

Samsung plasma 63" 7000 series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2011 6:15:07 AM PDT
KBIC says:
I purchased a 63" 7000 series plasma Samsung TV 2 weeks ago. It was a 2010 model (probably one of the last out there). I had it shipped white glove (250 extra). The TV worked great for three and a half days. called Samsung and they said they would have a tech call to set up an appointment. A guy called and I told the problem. He said that he would order some parts and call when they came in. A week later the parts came in and they called to set up a time to come over to look at the TV. I think they should have come over before ordering parts but that isn't the way they went about it, what ever. A guy came over looked at the TV and determined that the screen was bad. He would put in an order for a new screen. Three days later they called back and said that the screen was on back order and that Samsung would call me back. Not two hours later Samsung called me. The guy from Samsung that I talked with said that the company would refund my money but they couldn't replace the TV because all of the 2011 stock was already empty and they had no idea when they would have more stock. He wanted a fax of the receipt so the company could refund my money. I told him about the additional 250 for the delivery. He said that he would add that to the request for the refund but it did not sound promising when he said it. The new 2011 models are cheaper than the 2010 models but I had a good deal on that 2010 TV that I will probably not get on the 2011 model. I will probably have to shell out another four or five hundred to get a 2011 replacement. The customer service that I received from Samsung was fair but they could have stepped up to the plate and just found me a new replacement TV.

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 6:36:59 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Welcome to Samsung...(sarcasm)

Your story is actually a good one compared to most. I was shocked they offered a refund so quick. Most Samsung warranty claims take up to 6 months.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 2:58:19 PM PDT
Vega LCD says:
i think you should have bought the new 2011 model
its a 64" and is wifi built in
I have seen it elsewhere for 3000.00 for 64d7000
my friend has it,
he likes it and i believe the 64d7000 to be a good buy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 3:16:24 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
But, it is still a Samsung...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 11:30:35 AM PDT
KBIC says:
well, we will see how fast I get the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 11:31:21 AM PDT
KBIC says:
If/when I get the money I will probably be getting the Panasonic 65" GT30

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 12:12:16 PM PDT
CharlesO says:
So many choices. I am confused GT30 65 inch vs. Samsung 7000/8000.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 1:50:17 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
Panasonic...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 1:51:14 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
They may not take the bad TV back. If they don't, remove the motherboard, power supply etc and list 'em on Ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 3:41:10 PM PDT
KBIC says:
From what I understand they want the whole thing back and will send someone out to pick it up at a later date.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 1:51:33 PM PDT
KBIC says:
If the 65 Panasonic GT30 is about the same price I would not consider the Samsung a good price at this point. I can not confirm what the cost of the Panasonic will be since they have not released the price guide yet and the TV has not been released to the public either.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 12:15:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 8:49:51 AM PDT
Don't waste you're money on a plasma. The new high end LCD's are much more energy efficient
and look better. Get a 7000-8000 series Samsung or a 800-900 series Sony.

I am picking up a new Sony 929 55" when they are released in a few weeks.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 1:19:00 PM PDT
MikeT says:
" Capt Dwight Towers says: Don't waste your money on a plasma. "

And with such an informative post as this, who would doubt such expert advice. :)
*eye roll*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 2:03:31 PM PDT
KBIC says:
Thanks Mike T

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 3:43:16 PM PDT
Mike says:
Hi Everyone,
I have just read everyone's posts and I don't seem to understand everyone's hatred for Samsung. I can see KBIC had a bad experience but I would suspect all manufactures have similar customer service issues whether its Panasonic or Sony or Samsung... Now I am looking to buy a new tv in the next month or so...maybe even in the next week. I am definitely looking at the PN64D7000 which I would figure would be a good model considering CNET's positive review last year on the PN63C8000, which I have been told are fairly equivalent models. I was all so looking at the Sharp 70" (don't know the model number off hand) But I would really appreciate your input on this decision, as I am not an expert in this field. My couches about 14 feet away and I am looking for the best bang for your buck TV. This will be mounted above a fireplace. Now I am impartial to Plasma vs LED. My only constraint is I have a maximum 3k budget...and the Panasonics are way more than that for the size I am looking for... Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 6:37:32 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
I'd choose this one...
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST30 60-Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV

I'm not sure why 5 extra inches costs $1200. But I'd buy the 60" Panasonic any day over a Samsung.

In plasma, it is Panasonic, LG and Samsung in a distant third. When Hitachi and Pioneer both stopped making plasma, that is the only reason Samsung cracked the top 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011 8:04:12 PM PDT
Mike says:
Thank You A/V guru. I appreciate the input. Now I was told that the Panasonic models have an issue with fading blacks over the long haul, has this issue been corrected? Also with Samsung, is it a picture quality issue or a reliability issue for the reason why you are not a fan of their products? Just curious...

Also, I noticed that the TC-P65ST30 is 3699...that is annoying that it costs 1200 dollars more for a 5 extra inches...I wish it was priced more reasonably!

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 1:40:29 AM PDT
MikeT says:
All plasmas have "fading blacks" per se. I believe it is really more of a brightness issue, not a specific color issue. The brightness fades over time so all colors seem less vibrant through continued use. So, actually, all colors are "fading" over time as the brightness fades. Black being the darkest color would just be much more easily noticeable by the human eye than other colors would.

But with proper calibration and correct video settings this effect is greatly diminished. Also, with plasma having a far superior overall picture quality advantage compared to LCD/LED, even after 20 years of heavy use a decent plasma will still have darker blacks than a brand new LCD/LED right out of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 5:53:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 6:30:35 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Panasonic did(may still???) have it pre-programmed into the set to lower its contrast over time. I believe(I sell the professional line...if $3000 is "too much", don't bother looking at a professional series, even at a 42") Panasonic did it as a lifetime extender. If you "cook the contrast", which means anything over 75%, you greatly shorten its lifespan. You shouldn't need anything greater than 60% on a plasma and 80% on a LCD(CCFL or LED). Plasma has an inherent greater contrast, so you "should use less of it". The adage here(to use a car reference) is, just because the car can do 0-60 in 5 seconds, doesn't mean you have to plant your foot at every light. Setting your contrast(brightness as well, but to a lesser extent) at anything over 80% on a plasma, or 90% on a LCD is basically "full throttle" and you are killing your TV.

That is what I believe is happening in Panasonic. Whether they still do it, I don't know. I have a plasma made by Hitachi, their Director Series. Its settings are made "safe". The three "core values"(brightness/contrast/skin tone) you can't have over a certain aggregate. Which means, on mine, if you raise the contrast beyond a certain point, the TV reduces its own brightness and switches to a normal skin tone setting to maintain a "non-detrimental" effect on its settings.

For me, on Samsung, they've never made a quality product. I wouldn't even buy a Samsung microwave. No, Samsung doesn't fail anymore often than Mitsubishi, Panasonic or Sharp(the best three for customer service). But when you own one of those three, you are taken care of swiftly. With Samsung, it is a crap shoot. There are stories of people giving up on Samsung and fixing their own TVs with parts bought on Ebay. Cruise Ebay for parts on Samsung TV's. You'll be appalled as to how many you'll find from people giving up on the TVs(Samsung is also the number one "replaced" TV on a service contract. Service contract providers will often not be able to get parts, and if so...you need to see what happens in the fine print. There are some out there that will only cover "up to the cost of the TV", which means, if they've tried twice to fix it...then have to replace it, you only get the "money left" to buy a new one).

The part you won't find on Ebay for Samsung TV's? Power supplies. The Samsung power supply is the part that causes 60% of their failures. There are so many 2-3 year old Samsungs that have been parted out from bad power supplies it isn't even funny. There aren't enough Samsung power supplies to fix the TV's. Samsung runs between 4-7% failure(Panasonic and Mitsubishi are the best at under 3%, yes that 3% to 7% is a HUGE difference...but yes, it still means 93% of Samsungs made don't have problems).

To give you an idea of Samsung inconsistency and Panasonic/Sharp/Mitsubishi/Toshiba consistency.

Year on year, Panasonic and Mitsubishi failure rate varies no more than +/- .4%. (yes .4)
Sharp and Toshiba vary around .8%.
Samsung varies 6%. (which is why they have inconsistent customer service. If one brand, across the board on every TV they make, has a consistent 3% failure, they can plan for that. If you have a variable failure rate as wide as 4% to 10%, you can't plan for that.) To add pain to Samsung(keeping in mind they price lower than Panasonic/Mitsubishi/Toshiba), they employ a customer service entity twice the size of everybody else. Lower price product, higher failure rate, more customer service people to pay.

LG, which is still a "gaining ground" brand(as in they used to be worse than Samsung...remember Goldstar? LG is Goldstar) has a varying failure percentage of 2%. They want to sit at the big boys table. They've managed to kick RCA, Hitachi and Philips/Magnavox off the big boys table. The reason LG is gaining ground? Remember back in the day when Mitsubishi made/sold the 40" tube? Mitsubishi financed the R&D of the tube by selling their 26" and under production to Goldstar. Mitsubishi always made their 27" and above TVs. Goldstar made their 13", 19" and 26" starting in 1988 till "the end of tube". Goldstar, though, had to make them EXACTLY to Mitsubishi standards. That, in a nutshell, is how Goldstar figured out how to make a quality product.

As a "side note". The reason Mitsubishi only makes a 40" and larger LCD? Their "contract" from way back in the 80's with LG. Mitsubishi can't re-enter a competitive arrangement without LG approval. One of the sneaky things LG managed to slide into the contract. Mitsubishi has asked for a LG made 26" and 32", but LG sells all they can make. So, Mitsubishi gave up on small LCD.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 8:40:17 AM PDT
Mike says:
Wow....Thank you very much for the thorough responses from MikeT and especially A/V Guru. I am pretty much sold on the Panasonic. One last question. I have never professionally calibrated my television in the past. I am assuming that it is a must for this new Panasonic that I will be purchasing??

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 12:02:43 PM PDT
MikeT says:
Not necessary, but I'd bet it would result in a much better overall viewing experience. There are also great DIY calibration discs out there in both SD and HD. AVIA is a good one. These discs walk you through every test screen, explain how to adjust, and even explain "why" and "what" it is that you are adjusting etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 3:40:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 3:48:44 PM PDT
A/V guru says:
Exactly what what MikeT said. Although, I've never used AVIA.

I usually point towards this one...
Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition [Blu-ray] (this disc has test patterns that "consumer TV" doesn't have correction for. There are things on your TV you won't be able to fix, but a professional series TV has adjustments that consumer TVs don't)

This one gets good reviews as well...
Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray]

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 7:42:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2011 6:16:42 AM PDT
It is sad to read these comments - particularly those from the A/V "guru".

But he certainly sounds authoritative. Mike T: Did you know the guru has designed most of the theaters in the USA? He actually claimed that repeatedly but of course could not back it up in another forum. Historically, he has been discredited in virtually every Amazon forum - topic after topic - month after month. In the past, he has apologized by saying that he does not understand the technical issues he was talking about and then blamed a distant cousin who has technical training for NOT explaining technical issues very well to him. If that sounds hard to believe - search these forums. Search the Amazon forums (un-check the box that says search this discussion only) and put in A/V guru. You will find he makes any number of authoritative statements that were widely discredited by virtually everyone.

You should also note that our "guru" never provides a link or a source for his bombastic statements..For example he cites various failure rates but no source. The only source I've seen about failure rates is Consumers reports and their numbers are considerably different than the "gurus". Similarly we see his ridiculous statements about contrast but no source to back up his statements or recommendations.

Be very wary of these recommendations.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 8:57:18 AM PDT
Mike says:
Thanks everyone for their help and recommendations!
Opinunated, If you read the previous posts, I stated I was in the market for a new TV.
I originally was sold on the Samsung PN64D7000 and now have moved onto the Panasonic TC-P60ST30, based on A/V Gurus recommendations. Now either way I go, I feel that I am probably getting a good quality product. Any thoughts or opinions on this topic?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 10:18:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2011 10:24:45 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
Opine-unated is a blowhard. The "failure rates" I cited are manufacturer supplied failures "with-in warranty".

It is common knowledge that asking your TV to produce 100% contrast and 100% brightness(otherwise known as "torch mode") results in a premature death of your TV.

And there he goes saying that I said that I've designed "most of the theatres in the USA". He's the one, when I said the number I've done, that made an absolute ass of himself by thinking the number I gave was for commercial movie theatres only. If you count EVERY SINGLE THEATRE in the USA you come up with a number in the millions. I've designed/installed/refurbed(over the course of 30 years) maybe .05% of all the theatres.

He still fails to recognize I said theatres, not movie theatres(theatres encompasses music halls, ampitheatres, presentation rooms and, of course, movie theatre as well). IU, in Bloomington, itself has over 100 theatres. Most colleges its size have around that number. How many "large state universities" are there? 200?(depends on your definition). So if 200 universities have 100-ish each, that means, just on the collegiate level, on the largest US campuses, there are 20,000 there. There are how many high schools in the US? Most high schools have at least 1. The larger high schools have 2-3. Again, how many MORE theatres does that make? Now count in middle school. Now count in grade schools. Now add in all the private high schools. Now add in all the private middle schools.

Shut up about how many theatres I've designed, Mr Opine-unated.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Television forum (990 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Television forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2011
Latest post:  May 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions