Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Headphones forum

Do noise cancelling headphones work without music ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2010 7:23:35 PM PDT
L.I.T. says:
I'm thinking of buying a noise cancelling headphone, but my intended use of it is not to listen to music, but to keep myself in a quiet environment.
I often go to coffee shops to read books, but chatting from nearby tables just distracts me from focusing on the books and I always wish that I had some way to keep the noise from entering my ears.

Does noise cancelling headphone shut the outside noise without listening to the music ?

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 10:17:47 PM PDT
Yes- definitely. If they have active cancellation, as long as you have them turned on, you will get noise cancellation. With passive, just having them on your head will ensure blocking of outside noise. Passive headphones block noise in their design, they don't use mics to cancel out the sound.

Then again, we're talking about the difference between noise cancelling and headphones that are merely blocking out external noises. With noise cancelling headphones, when they're turned on, the mic(s) on the phones will pick up the outside noise then cancel it out by pumping in basically what is the opposite of that sound- they then cancel each other out. You will probably get the sensation of air pressure changes when you put on noise cancelling phones- but there's no actual pressure change. In fact, the blocking of the low frequency sounds fools your brain into thinking there's a loss of air pressure, and at first they feel weird. You will get used to that though.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 9:27:42 AM PDT
Generally noise cancelling headphones take out low level drone (jet engines etc) so while they will cut the noise of a conversation at the next table they will not reduce it to the same extent that they reduce the noise of the bus rumbling by outside.

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 1:38:25 PM PDT
Yes, they are an effective way to remove some noise, but not all. But if you're sitting in a loud cafe, trying to read, those conversations that are swirling all around will still be audible, but barely. These are a great pair of headphones that I've had for a few years Audio-Technica ATHANC7 Noise-cancelling Headphones. They were being offered at a much lower price when I initially bought them, so there could be some newer ones that are just as good for a better deal.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 7:43:08 AM PDT
Janet says:
Thanks for asking this question and thanks for the answers. This is exactly the information I needed.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 1:17:10 PM PST
kamikazlee says:
If you intend to use noise cancelling cans to keep yourself in a quiet environment like in a coffee shop to read a book and not for music I sugguest you to use ear plugs. Ear plugs will do a good job an it's cheap. Don't waste your money on noise cancelling headphones not worth it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Headphones forum (260 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Headphones forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions