Customer Discussions > Health forum

Help! I'm exhausted and have no energy to do much.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2009 5:13:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2010 5:02:12 PM PDT
Ed Raton says:
Including just leaving the house. I can barely get myself out of bed-I just feel like I need two more hours of sleep every night, even though I get 7-8 hours.

Most weekends I'm in bed 12 hours and rarely do anything. In fact, going out of my house is usually not something I look forward to.

I can't even fathom being in a relationship because that would take energy that's just not there.

What can this middle-aged guy do to increase energy levels and look forward to facing the day?

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 5:17:25 PM PDT
directions says:
I am not sure but some of what you are describing could be the signs of depression but it would depend on what else is going on in your life:
http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.html

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 6:16:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2009 6:25:30 PM PDT
Catrina says:
G.A., this may be a bit wordy, but forgive, me as it is really a complex issue, the things mentioned are important, and I wanted to help.

1. Have you had a physical recently? Is this a sudden onset, or has it been coming on gradually if you stop and reflect back on the last few months/or year?
First thing would be to have a complete physical to rule out any new medical issues to address. Have you had any past illnesses that were resolved at the time? There are many reasons medically why you might lose your energy, from simple to complex, but if you do not feel good because of a medical issue, it has to be addressed or
nothing else can really improve until the physical issue is managed.
When you do wake up do you feel refreshed and then get tired soon, or do you wake up tired and stay that way?
2. A part of the physical is eating well. Do you eat a good diet? Are you allergic to any foods you know about and still consume them?

3. As to the depression or mental/emotional part: take stock of your life, from your job/career, to your daily activities. Have you lost your enjoyment of things you normally enjoyed in the past? Do you feel you would still do them if you had the energy? Alternatively, are you apathetic about them now?
You mention you have no energy for a relationship. Do you really want one? Have you broken up with someone in the recent past? Do you have any unresolved issues with a past relationship? Have you withdrawn from friends or coworkers lately? Keep more to yourself?
4. Any big changes in your life over the last year or two? A life stress scale test measures the accumulation of events in one's life that increases stress. The accumulation really can have an affect on the overall healthy life. I have seen some on online sites, so Google may help direct you.

It sounds as though this is a major issue in your life right now. It is important to get to the bottom of it, so it doesn't get worse. ...as soon as you know why, you can take action. Even though you do not feel like it now... just keep going one step at a time. It can and does get better.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 6:51:54 PM PDT
Ed Raton says:
It seems that this has come on gradually, over the last several years, progressively, slowly getting worse.

Currently, I have no health insurance, so I'm just hoping it's nothing too serious. There are certain things I need to change, I eat okay, but not great. Too much caffiene during the workweek for sure.

I'm also going to start taking a high-potency supplement, drink more water, and exercise. I do walk 2 miles a day, nothing great, but it's better than being completely sedentary.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 7:09:34 PM PDT
Christi says:
I have this problem also, only I am a middle-aged female. I have asked my doctor about this, and he said, "extremely fatigued, and no other symptoms? What am I to do with that??? Fatigue can be caused by so many things. When you have more symtoms, get back with me." Hum. So where does that leave me?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:23:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 4, 2009 7:32:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:30:06 PM PDT
Reno says:
take some vitamins like B-complex ...this will give you some energy.i do take this in the morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:30:29 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:30:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 4, 2009 7:33:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 7:32:45 PM PDT
Catrina says:
GA, it seems like you are doing some good things for yourself. Walking 2 miles a day is a great way to exercise. Can you do any cardio, alternate things that would be cross training fitness? Cutting back on caffeine is a healthy thing to do. I have recently cut way back on caffeine because of its negative effects.

I wondered about the overall stress of life. so many people have felt the bummed out fatigue at times because of the general state of life today. Between war, economy, health arguments, environmental issues, and everything else, the blahs are becoming more common.
The depression disorders are being diagnosed more, and people generally are having more trouble coping with the state of our lives here today.

Other than walking the streets singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!", which would create a risk of being smacked by passerby ! ;) !, I think it is important to find things that bring us joy, fun, excitement, and keep our minds occupied. Also turn off the news at least one day a week. I try to keep in touch with friends, even just to touch base. But connection is important.

take care,
Catie

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:34:08 PM PDT
Reno says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 7:44:28 PM PDT
L. Rizzo says:
Have you tried Bach Flowers? Olive & Elm work for exhaustion. Mustard can work for depression when the gloom descends.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 7:55:15 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 8:14:50 PM PDT
Christi says:
Thanks for some of your suggestions, people! Reno: Great idea, but I already take very good vitamins. I also eat right, exercise, get plenty of sleep, etc. I do what you are suppose to do, but still have this extreme fatigue. I figured that the fatique was bad enough that it should show up something was wrong on a test. The only test the Dr. gave was a thyroid test, but he said the results were within the normal limits. I have not had my estrogen checked, which the Dr. should have thought of...so thanks! L.Rizzo: I have never heard of Bach Flowers, but will investigate your idea. Pierre Gremaud: I will also visit your suggested website. Thanks for all your comments!!! G.A. Bardine: I hope you find the information you need also!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 8:41:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2009 8:42:19 PM PDT
CRB says:
A few other things to try include listening to music with a lot of energy or your favorite kind artist/style, if you gained weight it might be interfering with your sleep (sleep apnea). Try finding a different kind of music to listen to (online or through library/store). Nasal strips might help with minor breathing issues at night. Last but not least try to get outside during bright sunshine, some people need more light during these darker months and if you moved to an area that doesn't get as much light (less hours or intensity of sunlight). Try to darken your room as much as possible when you sleep, even facing LED clocks away from you or covering them. Use bright lights and/or sunshine in your waking hours, by gradually cut back on the light a few hours before you go to bed. On the flip side think or things that keep you awake at night [stimuli (light/noise/smells-odors(bad or good fresh bread/coffee/...)/images-memories)] and try to use that stimuli or stimulus to stay awake. Try different forms of exercise (i.e. dance, weights, yoga, cycling, jumping jacks, hulu hoop, basketball, volunteer to play catch with a kid or someone's dog, walk a dog, try some of those crazy exercise walking/crawling patterns from gym class when you were a kid).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 9:03:30 PM PDT
Maybe try some ginseng supplements (Siberian or Korean) along with the daily vitamin for energy. I know they helped me when I went back to school full-time and worked 2 part-time jobs.
Speaking of energy, if you are comfortable with non-Western practices, I recommend acupuncture or Reiki for help in unblocking the natural flow of your energy (chi). Even a beginner Yoga class can really give a real boost.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 9:44:29 PM PDT
JT says:
I am sorry you feel this way G.A. Bardine. The foundation to a healthy, productive life is to get at least 6-8 hours of sleep, eat healthy, exercise at least 30 minutes a day and my own personal suggestion is to surround yourself with wonderful, loving people in your life. If you have toxic relationships/friendships in your life, it will only bring you down. If you are already doing all of the items above, consistenly for at least 3 weeks and still feel like laying around, it could possibly be something else; medically, chemically-youir hormones could be "off" or any other number of things. I hope you find what you are looking for.........Signed-From someone that was single until they were 37 years old, I was married 2 years ago with the love of my life I met on eharmoney. All my best,

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 9:56:17 PM PDT
Ragamuffin says:
Another thing you should do is have your thyroid checked. There is a lot of information here:
http://thyroid.about.com

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 11:00:54 PM PDT
GA Bardine, there are many causes of fatigue. Fatigue is just a symptom of a deeper disease process. It is impossible to give you useful treatment advice without more information. Furthermore, your condition could potentially be a medically defined condition such as adrenal insufficiency, hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, depression, but more often then not people have indefinable disease processes going on. And even if their condition is named (ie fibromyalgia) it's etiology and pathogenesis are likely unclear. You need professional guidance. If it were me I'd look into seeing an ND or LAc.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 11:10:58 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Eat less, Move more, and Avoid processed food.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 11:21:37 PM PDT
I'm a mid-30s male. You need to consider these issues:

1. Depression. Do you take any anti-depressants? If not, you should talk to a doctor about whether you might have a chemical imbalance. This is very common and no shame here. There are prescription drugs that could help.

2a. Physical fitness. Are you overweight or generally out of shape? Do you exercise? Can you run a mile? If not, you should start exercising 3-5 times/week. At first, you simply have to force yourself to do it (run, treadmill, any cardio, etc.). After about 3-4 weeks, you will notice a difference.

2b. Sleep Apnea. If you snore, you may have sleep apnea. This means that your air passage (nose) closes while you sleep, meaning you cannot breathe. Your body then subconsciously and momentarily wakes up enough to gasp for a breath, interrupting your sleep. This can happen as often as several times/minute while you sleep. Sleep apnea leaves you feeling exhausted even after sleeping 8 or 9 hours. You are probably not consciously aware of whether this takes place. Your internal medicine or family doctor can test for sleep apnea.

3. Nutrition. You should try a B-Complex vitamin supplement. In particular, you need B-6 and B-12. A bottle from Target or the grocery store costs about $5-7. The body requires B vitamins to convert food into energy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:30:01 AM PDT
Tropipalms says:
Get a physical. Have some blood work done. You may have a low thyroid which can cause lack of energy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 12:40:44 PM PDT
L. McKnight says:
I had the same problem. The vitamins from the store did nothing to change it. All natural vitamins from organically grown fruits and vegetables and this antioxidant drink made from red grapes, pomagranite and herbal blend gave me a natural boost. No longer too tired to move after work. Also, if you would like to loose a few lbs. the green tea I drank when I worked an extra job during the holidays increases energy, boosts metabolism and burns fat.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 2:03:23 PM PDT
Christi says:
L. McKnight: Would you mind if I asked you the brand names of the all natural vitamins, the antioxidant drink and the green tea that you took? (Unless doing that is a violation in this discussion...I don't think it is though.) My vitamins are Your Life brand, which is suppose to be all natural, but they do not seem to give me the energy I need. But I have never tried an antioxidant drink. I have tried green tea, but it tasted so awful to me, so I never tried it again. Do different brands of green tea taste different maybe? Thank you so much for your ideas!

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 5:02:02 PM PDT
Could be chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia if it's a really bad condition.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  488
Total posts:  1378
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 53 customers

Search Customer Discussions