Customer Discussions > Health forum

Christmas gift ideas for elderly mother in nursing home.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2008 4:13:05 PM PST
P. Keller says:
Hello everybody,

I am at a loss this Christmas trying to find the perfect Christmas gift for my mother who is in a nursing home. I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Paul

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 5:23:16 PM PST
M. Chang says:
We have some elderly relatives in nursing homes. In past years we've given nice throws, slippers, soft center chocolates (for those who love them and can eat them), audio books and music cd's, nice table top decorated living xmas trees, cardigan sweaters, family photos, large button phones and remotes (for those with failing vision). Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 7:36:40 PM PST
booklover says:
I have a 90 year old "adopted" Mom who now lives in a nursing home, and last year I gave her: a supply of postage stamps, writing pads and notebook, stationery items, a jar full of coins for use in their little "shop" , a good page magnifier, etc. I chose practical things that didn't require a lot of storage space. She has one small drawer that can be locked

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 2:01:12 PM PST
For those with an elder who walks but has trouble walking: please do NOT give them slippers. Falling is a real danger for all elderly, but especially for those who have trouble walking. In this case, slippers increase the chance of falling. (And BTW, throw rugs are also a hazard!)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 2:30:21 PM PST
john dragon says:
If they don't seem to be very active or involved I think anything that will encourage and/or promote an interest in them or the other residents in the home to interact with one another would be a gift that would keep on giving (games, DVD player and discs, a membership to Netflicks etc. so the home could show the movies in community roomalmost anything like that)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:39:21 PM PST
Perhaps a gift certificate for a shampoo, cut, & style. Even a pedicure & manicure would be great! Many facilities have their own staff that performs these jobs. My grandson gave me a cool little recordable book. It's his voice reading to me and I will cherish it. Also giving of our time is the best gift we can give our elderly family members. Many are very lonely and love to see family,especially the little children. Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:20:27 PM PST
NewNoctum says:
I worked in a nursing home for a while and what I noticed about gifts, the residents don't care about the material things - They just want to see their families! Your gift could be dedicating time every other day to go see her and spend time with her

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 12:08:40 AM PST
One year I bought my grandmother an electric throw blanket to keep her legs warm. Made by Sunbeam, under 40.00, (including the shipping) and Amazon sells several of them in different styles etc. They are attractive, and meant to sit on top of the bed or while she sits in her chair.

If you get one, get an extension cord as well.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:11:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 4:13:24 AM PST
J. Westwind says:
I used to work in a convalescent hospital -- knee-high socks were greatly appreciated by people who spent a lot of time in wheel chairs -- their feet and legs seem to get very cold and lap blankets tend to slide off and end up interfering with wheels.

Bed jackets, cardigans, or warm shirts that they could wear over open-backed hospital gowns when they are out of bed were also appreciated.

Also, depending on their personalities and lucidity, many older people take comfort in stuffed animal 'companions'.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 5:31:30 AM PST
Elderly people are temperature conscious. We get cold sooner. I make fingerless mitts and caps for wearing IN THE retirement home for those I know. Does it help? I think so.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:47:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2011 10:49:29 PM PST
For wheelchair residents, lap throws are great. One year I made several lap throws with matching over-sized "wash-n-wear" bibs. My dad is in a home right now and doesn't yet require throws and bibs. However, he uses (and loses) lots of clothing, so I bought him a variety of easy-on, easy-off sweat pants (without elastic at the ankles) and some co-ordinating simple long sleeved tops. Be sure to put their name in it or on it with a permanent marker or laundry pen. A page-a-day calendar featuring something that would be amusing or interesting for them is also good. Also, if you do purchase clothing or whatever, don't leave everything at the nursing home; just bring it as they need it. Things tend to walk off.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 12:41:06 AM PST
J. Westwind says:
Janet,
Glad to hear this -- all of us should be so caring and giving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 12:49:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 2:34:46 PM PST
J. Westwind says:
You are so right about things tending "to walk off".

Though it really isn't right, I can tell you from experience that sometimes when one person has a lot of clothes, some of them may be 'borrowed' for someone who has no family visiting and no clothes except the flimsy open-backed, short sleeved hospital gowns --
long socks are like 'gold' --
anyone who feels the holiday spirit might consider donating a bunch of knee-highs to local nursing homes and convalescent hospitals -- they don't have to be new -- second-hand store items do just fine when people are freezing.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:33:51 AM PST
RetakeRita says:
Socks with "treads" on the sole are a good idea. Also, makeup bags to keep small items organized; as well as a large printed Family Address book would make good presents. Personally speaking, my Mom is in a nursing home with very little wall space for pictures so what I did was organize pictures of friends and family plus Ole Miss football schedule in a poster sized wall frame. The football schedule can be changed out each season. This is a big hit with her since she is a big Ole Miss fan.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What would happen if we stopped giving vaccines? 6306 18 minutes ago
Vitamins vs Whole Foods 3 2 hours ago
MONSANTO 6805 3 hours ago
Rife Machine Usuage 3395 9 hours ago
Has anyone tried SimpleCig electronic cigarettes? http://www.simplecig.com 14 1 day ago
genesis key to health and healing 1 1 day ago
Xentrafen diet pills are amazing.. 4 1 day ago
Blu Cigs 182 2 days ago
Anyone use moringa oil? 7 3 days ago
Coconut Oil 67 3 days ago
I wonder... 79 3 days ago
The Honey Revolution 1149 3 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions