Customer Discussions > Health forum

Do you use Splenda? Other artificial sweeteners?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 3083 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2007 10:11:12 AM PDT
The FDA says Splenda & aspartame are fine, but to avoid Stevia & High fructose corn syrup. I've been baking with Splenda for a year, and love it. Here's the FDA list of okay artificial sweeteners:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/406_sweeteners.html

What are your feelings?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 6:34:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2007 6:35:11 PM PDT
book factory says:
I don't use anything that is made in a lab, just real sugar from cane or fruit. Even if it isn't bad they don't know how all these new chemical react with the others we use...over a lifetime.
I can also, always taste the difference.
If its for wt. loss I just eat less of the real stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 2:33:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 29, 2008 11:28:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 10:46:05 AM PDT
Rene says:
I would avoid Splenda and aspartame. You might want to consider whose paying the FDA before you believe all there they say. Many things have been okayed and later found to be deadly.

I use Stevia, it takes very little, in case you decide to try it.
Have a great day.

Rene Remington

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 12:42:48 PM PDT
From reviewing several studies on the effect of artificial sweeteners, it is fairly conclusive that all artificail sweeteners will shorten your life. In addition, Nutrasweet has demonstrated deathly excitatory effects on the neurons; that is, it excites your neurons to death a.k.a. kills brain cells. Unfortunately, if you are a Diet Coke drinker or Nutrasweet consumer this excitatory feeling is why you crave your Nutrasweet - it is very addicting. It took me a couple of months without Diet Coke before my cravings and headaches ceased (Make sure you find another caffeine source to make this transition easier). All artificial sweeteners break down in the body to toxic chemicals including formaldehyde. My husband and I were both avid artificial sweetener drinkers until he was employed as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab. Everyone that worked in that lab, now only use raw sugars, Stevia, and agave nectar. The use of Stevia originated in Japan and they use it for just about everything. If you have never compared health stats between US and Japan you should do so before following the FDA. In addition to being a sweetener, Stevia is also said to have many health benefits; again, compare health of US citizens to Japanese citizens. I work with children with autism and try to stay up on the current research, which is advocating a chemical free diet in addition to others. I completely agree with other posts; if it is made in a lab I stay far away, and the FDA is as prone the power of big corporate lobbies as any other component of government. You will feel better and look better if you avoid neurotoxins - pesticides, artificial sweeteners....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 1:52:03 PM PDT
I agree with Oregongirl and Tulsa Oklahoma that you can't trust the FDA. They and the company Monsanto are responsible for steering people away from Stevia, a sweetener taken from plant leaves that had been used safely for thousands of years in South America. Monsanto is the maker of aspartame, which has been proven to be toxic. They got the FDA to say nay to Stevia because they didn't want competition for their dangerous product! It's all about the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 3:08:38 PM PDT
S. Elaine says:
Artificial sweeteners are excitotoxins meaning they excite the neurons in your brain to death. Never, ever use any artificial sweetener or refined sugar. They give you things such as migraines, stomach aches, mood swings, insomnia, as well as an ample gut. Use sukanot to replace table sugar in baking and grow your own stevia to sweeten drinks. Its an herb that happens to be sweet- just pluck two leaves, crush them in your fingers and drop them in your tea or coffee for yummy sweetness- it doesnt get more natural than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 3:11:42 PM PDT
I thik the FDA has been wrong too many times about too many things for me to be able to trust them on this one. I do think that high frutose corn syrup is a poor choice, because of empty calories and possible adverse health effects. I have fared pretty well eliminating it from my diet. Splenda and Aspertame have such a terrible aftertaste that I would rather go without sugar than consume either of these products. I also don't like the idea that they are essentially chemicals. Chemicals that give me headaches and try and trick my body into thinking that it is sugar. The rule I try to follow is that if my grandparents would not have recognized it as food, I don't eat it. All my baking is done from scratch and my diet is about 70 percent organic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 4:48:10 PM PDT
I have used stevia, and I think it is great. I grew stevia at one time. It grew into a huge plant, and if you chewed a leaf it tasted sweet.

At all costs, avoid high fructose corn syrup. HFCS is one reason that so many Americans will soon be diabetic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 5:20:13 PM PDT
After reading the Eat Clean Diet Book and Skinny B----. I stay away from it all. The book Skinny B----provides a list of sweetners that are good to use. I use honey or agave.

mamaspraggins

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 1:46:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2007 1:48:12 PM PDT
M. L. Marple says:
This is a very timely discussion for me. I only use Splenda on my oatmeal and blueberries. I wonder every time about the dangers of Splenda. It is the best tasting no calorie sweetener I have ever had. I don't drink diet sodas because of the aspartame, even Splenda. I rarely drink soda. Nevertheless, this discussion has addressed my questions and I will return my new box of Splenda. I do use organic sugar which is evaporated cane juice. I need very little. I used to use honey a great deal in the 1980s when Prevention magazine touted its benefits. Years later, I read in Prevention about how the tiny molecules of honey are dangerous to our teeth. It made a lot of sense so I stopped the honey. You might want to research it now. I will try agave. I will research its effect on teeth first.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 1:57:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 29, 2008 11:28:47 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 2:46:46 PM PDT
HFCS is just concentrated sugar. It is cheap, and it is used in many foods that aren't intended to be sweet. Too much sugar is playing havoc with you insulin levels. The amount of sugar that American consume has nearly quadrupled in the last 25 or so years, however the government does not recognize that the increase in the amount of sugar goes hand in hand with the increase in the incidence of obesity and diabetes. I avoid sugar in all its forms whenever possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 3:53:04 PM PDT
I use Xylitol for my coffee. It tastes like sugar, but doesn't raise your blood sugar. My holistic doctor recommends it to his clients. You can get it in packets or a large bag in the nutrition section of Whole Foods.

You've already used it if you chew gum as it's the 'bacteria preventing' ingredient they brag helps prevent tooth decay (you'd have to eat a good bit to get this benefit).

Try it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2007 8:14:39 PM PDT
I love to use blue agave nectar. Do an online search; it's great. I get mine at a health food store.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 10:48:42 AM PDT
Cindee Me says:
I've been promoting Xylitol, a natural sugar derived from birch bark, also comes from mushrooms and corn and other plant sources. I don't know how it is extracted, do you or does anyone know the process to end up with it? I exchange it 1:1 when making jellies, baking, etc. It actually is a slightly more pleasant sweet than cane sugar. Supposedly it kills bacteria and is good to hold in your mouth to allow it to soak into the gums, etc. and also is said to kill strep...anyone know more about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 11:07:31 AM PDT
Cindee Me says:
Look into xylitol. I looked it up in one of my dictionaries and I'll be darned if the word didn't originate back in the late 1800s. It was favored highly by the medical community. It actually is reported to kill bacteria in the mouth and unlike sugar, it is considered low glycemic. It comes from birch trees, mushrooms and corn and other plants. Xylene, xylose, xylitol...bear looking into...and perhaps how it fell from favor is because one of the above is wood alcohol (xylitol is sugar alcohol) and at least during the prohibition a relative here in Vermont consumed wood alcohol and died from it. I wonder if xylitol and xylose or xylene got confused with it. Mary Enig/Sally Fallon in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" lump xylitol in with "new fangled sweeteners" or some such phrase...I don't have my book with me at the moment. Can anyone shed a light on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 5:37:15 PM PDT
Bottom line, we're all going to die from something. May as well enjoy yourself while you're here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 6:06:33 PM PDT
Yes, you are totally right. However, if you cannot enjoy what life you have for the time you are here, what are you going to do. I know a man with high blood pressure and diabetes, and even Viagara won't help him. He eats plenty of sugar. Is it a good trade off? Every one of us has to make that choice. My DH says he will do as he likes and when he dies, he dies. But if he has chronic pain from a heart condition, is he willing to deal with that. It is a decision everyone has to make, and sometimes it has unintended consequences, and sometimes it adversly effects other people.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 6:20:22 PM PDT
burger babe says:
a friend recently told me about stevia, since i am very allergic to artificial sweeteners. where can i can get a stevia plant?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 10:12:41 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Agave nectar and honey contain fructose just like High fructose corn syrup. Agave has almost twice as much in fact. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe. Snake venom is natural.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2007 10:43:06 AM PDT
I bake using real sugar but use agave nectar, a natural sweetener for everthing else.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2007 10:21:27 PM PDT
Just John says:
Get the book good calories, bad calories, and try to eat less and mostly plants. ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2007 12:27:34 AM PDT
C. Athas says:
You can buy Stevia in a powder form at Trader Joe's - very little goes a long way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2007 12:02:47 AM PDT
cgrrl says:
The FDA, Forever Duping Americans, is definitely who u should listen to. All lab, all chemicals.. I say, if nature makes something right, you should try to pick it apart, adulterate it, brand it, sell it and make big bucks...to believers like you! When Gilda sang of her addiction to Saccharine we laughed til we cried. Til she died. Anyway, I'm sure Splenda will be legal just long enough to generate some positive affects ... for your health care provider. (But Joyce, maybe just eat the weird stuff you bake yourself, and give the ones you love real food)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 124 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  3083
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2007
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions