Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Health forum

Mood Altering Medications Miss-Prescribed?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2013 3:07:55 PM PST
Bill McLean says:
Doctors are currently prescribing mood altering medications to treat people whose negative moods reflect their true negative circumstances. Who thinks this is a good medical practice? What could happen if doctors treat symptoms (effects) and ignore the diseases (causes)?

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:15:21 AM PST
This is a nice fantasy from people that are usually offering some type of "alternate therapy"

But allopathic medicine does not work like this. Even a GP that prescribes Prozac for depression advises the patient to also seek counseling for that very reason. And if the GP did not do this, you should seek a new GP.

There is an old anecdotal medical school question "How do you treat the anemia associated with TB?"

The answer is "Treat the TB"

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:48:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:07:44 AM PST
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00696/depression-treatment
DR. WEIL: DEPRESSION TREATMENT
This is a nice article distinguishing between "situational depression" and "clinical depression". He advises that people with "situational depression" should seek counseling, instead of suppressing their feelings, and may not need medication. While "clinical depression" is more serious, and often requires other forms of depression treatment.

He also has some healthy suggestions to get someone out of a depression, reserving anti-depressant medications as the last resort. I agree, since messing with brain chemistry can have long term effects on memory and cognitive abilities (like chemo-brain). As a country, we need to get out of this pill-for-every-problem kind of thinking.

Even our military isn't immune:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/pentagon-prepare-mutant-future/
MILITARY PREPPING SOLDIERS FOR "MUTANT" FUTURE
Our Air Force routinely prescribes Dexedrine (an amphetamine) to pilots flying long missions. It can also increase aggressive or hostile behavior. Like the pair of F-16 pilots who thought a live-fire exercise below them was an attack - and they bombed Canadian soldiers, killing four.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 3:03:22 PM PST
In the books
The Hibernation Diet
The Honey Revolution
The authors lay out some easy to understand facts about depression and how to reduce it or overcome it.

Simply put by me, based on their information, it is all about the energy of the body. Our minds cannot function optimally when our life energy is low. Learn how to care for you body and it will feed your brain and you will be jumping out of bed in the mornings eager to get on with your day.

Or, stay medicated up to your eyeballs,................ it is up to you!

Cheers,

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:48:27 AM PST
Michael, that would be nice to think that doctors are only treating causes, but a close family member was treated with Lexapro and Adderall for depression, anxiety and ADHD, and then when the Adderall made him obsessive compulsive (to the point of being unrecognizable), the psychiatrist prescribed him Geodon off-label "to take the edge off" the Adderall, as she put it, which made him catatonic. The she took him off the Adderall and switched that to Focalin, and then to Ritalin, with no real effect other than emotional and behavioral disturbances. So he stopped taking the medicine and stopped seeing her, and even now has never fully recovered because mental health care where we live (rural) is exceptionally poor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:10:42 PM PST
It's pretty poor on the streets of New York city too, unless one is endowed with great understanding.

I am always impressed with the work they do in rehabilitating paraplegics and even quadriplegics, so I wonder if it is the cost of getting these people (onto my case?) that prevents their services from being universally available, or whether it may be that some individuals are just that indominatible that they do the necessary brain adjustments to allow them to find happiness in life.

I have never heard of any statistics revealing just what the success rate is with any given class of disability and the rehabilitation efforts applied. But what I do understand is that every religion, ever sacred or ancient book, reveals the secrets of living successfully, but we mostly take no real notice of them. We pass off the clichés every day in conversation, but somehow our minds are cauterised against taking those little secrets into our active mindset.

For sure indoctrinating them into another individual's brain doesn't seem to work either. So it is probably forgivable that we developed the present culture of drugging ourselves and our children in our desperation to help solve the problem.

Cheers,

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:20:40 AM PST
"Michael, that would be nice to think that doctors are only treating causes"

They are not and, more importantly, I never said they did.

What I did say was that doctors are trained to deal with cause. But the issue is, by the time people present with a medical issue, the symptoms require treatment.

If you go to a doctor 40 lbs over weight from a high fat diet with dangerously high blood pressure. The doctor is likely going to prescribe a med to control the blood pressure because it could be an immediate danger. But do you think the doctor is NOT going to tell you to lose weight, change your diet and exercise?

Like your family member, did he wake up one day with depression, anxiety and ADHD? Or did were these conditions left to worsen until it became difficult to function? Did the doctor suggest nothing but the meds?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:17:16 AM PST
guest says:
They prescribe mood altering drugs because I would assume the dr thinks your brain chemistry is off, plus maybe some real life crap thrown in too, alternative medicines at best only work for mild cases, you can't regulate the dosage...they are not considered medication, they are called supplements meaning they have not been tested or approved as prescribed meds would be.
Most people do well with a combination of medication and supportive (talk) therapy.
Exercise and a healthy diet is good too.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:20:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:23:52 AM PST
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/natural-and-herbal-supplements-for-common-mental-disorders/
NATURAL AND HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR COMMON MENTAL DISORDERS
"Notably, essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-e fatty acids are often deficient in the general population in America and other developed countries, and are exceptionally deficient in patients suffering from mental disorders."

http://www.puritan.com/pages/iq.asp?SearchText=Omega-3+oils&x=15&y=19
PURITAN'S PRIDE - OMEGA-3 FISH OIL

http://www.livestrong.com/article/38205-natural-herbs-foods-fight/
NATURAL FOODS AND HERBS TO FIGHT DEPRESSION
I prefer foods or widely used supplements with anti-depressant ingredients over herbs. But I feel so bad for your relative, Suzanna, that maybe an herb might help. (Just don't buy off-brands from Health Food Stores, since foreign ingredients may be tainted or stretched-out with toxins.)

http://www.puritan.com/st-johns-wort-075
PURITAN'S PRIDE BRAND - ST. JOHNS WORT

http://www.naturemade.com/
NATURE MADE
This is also a reputable brand of supplements, that is carried in most stores.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions