Customer Discussions > Health forum

Is Diabetes Inevitable?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2012 8:14:18 AM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
A few years back my glucose tested at 129 and my doctor said I was pre-diabetic and I should strive to lower glucose nuber to under 100. In the last couple of years, I've lost 60 pounds and am eating different.....not perfect, but better. My latest glucose reading was 99. I expected congratulations but instead the doctor said I still need to lose more weight and get my glucose to a revised figure of under 85. He said that since my glucose number even got to 129 to begin with, that no matter what I do to get it down, I am destined to get diabetes anyway. So my attitude is now....why did I bother depriving myself if nothing I do matters? Is diabetes now guaranteed for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 10:42:15 AM PDT
What type of testing (fasting et al)

Even for a fasting, a level of 70-130 mg/Dl is normal.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 1:52:07 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
It was fasting and was done as part of a CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 3:25:25 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
I think exercise will help prevent diabetes. My reading was in the high 90s like yourself and my pcp claimed it was fine, no worries.

do you exercise and what is your age?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:48:36 PM PDT
Livia says:
No, you are not doomed to have diabetes.

Why bother to eat right? So you don't end up like an acquaintance of mine who took that attitude to heart and now looks 20 years older than he ought to. OMG. Don't go there.

Fantastic that you lost that weight!

Since you don't give your weight/height/build I can't comment on that, except that you will enjoy your life the most if your body is not weighing you down and if you nourish it so that your joints and muscles are healthy and happy.

There are a number of different views on diabetes - some have found that sensitivities impact normal blood sugar. Some have found that parasites do. Others have found that minding their diet according to their blood type or metabolic type helps. Dr. Gabriel Cousens helped normalize a group of Type 2 diabetics with a few short weeks using a raw food/raw juice diet. I've actually seen that work on someone whose diet was pretty good even before she made that change, and blood sugar normalized in 4 days on a similar regimen. Others find their blood sugar normalizing when they get rid of candida fungus in their body (a textbook on that alone would be helpful). So many options, so much to learn. Don't give up now! It is no fun to look and feel like Cr*p!

FYI - there is an exercise system called T-Tapp - it has one signature move called "hoe downs" that can rapidly and dramatically lower your blood sugar in just a couple of minutes. Look around on youtube or on the t-tapp website, and you can learn it for free.

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:01:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 8:14:16 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
I'll turn 60 in Nov. and I walk 30-40 minutes 6 days a week. I really won't give up on further weight loss and continuing to eat better. It was just disappointing that my Dr. wasn't more enthusiastic about what I've accomplished so far. I sort of devised my own diet that led to the weight loss. Too many diets are unrealistic for sticking with the rest of one's life. And diets that completely remove entire food groups don't seem realistic either. I do eat more vegetables now...mostly raw and have a lot more chicken, turkey and fish with very little red meat. However, I won't promise to never again have a slice of pizza or a dish of ice cream. I just won't do it every day...or even every week. My aunt was diagnosed with Type II well into her 80s so if I can hold it off until then, or even longer, I think I'll be ok.

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 10:06:58 PM PDT
Geekasaurus says:
Do not expect it to be inevitable... I had the same mindframe since 3 out of 4 of my grandparents had diabetes and I had been obese (BMI 33) for almost 15 years and overweight pretty much my whole life.
I basically cut out grains (this all was inspired by book Primal Blueprint) and have now lost 55 lbs in 10 months. My BMI is now 25.1 and my goal is to get it below 24. I am able to exercise more which is making me feel better and my expectations that I will just get diabetes like others in my family is now gone. My blood sugar has never tested higher than 99 on a test (usually 90) but just that was enough to make me take pause.
My friend knows a guy who let diabetes take its course and he has had two feet amputated now and things are getting worse and he is only in his 40's.
You are in a good position with your blood sugar levels to get it under control pretty easily..it certainly isn't too late! Main thing is watch those starches!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:41:21 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
My brother got the diabetes. He was overweight and drank booze heavily. He was able to get off the meds for it when he dropped weight. I think many people reverse the situation of diabetes.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 6:24:37 AM PDT
A good Dr would encourage one not discourage as has been done here, get a new Dr.Its no fun sometimes but it can be rewarding.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 9:36:03 PM PDT
"He said...I am destined to get diabetes anyway."

I'd say either you misheard your doctor or he is a quack.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 7:28:10 AM PDT
Jacquelyn says:
Congratulations for working so hard to have a better and longer life! DO IT FOR YOURSELF and not for what anybody else says, especially the doctor! I think you are doing great! My hubby has type 2 diabetes, cheats as much as he can until one week before the blood tests every 3 months (this has gone on for years), and this time it didn't work. Now they are considering injections. What it will take for him to come around is beyond me. I've learned he has to do it for himself because nothing I've said or done has changed his mind. It breaks my heart. If only he would TRY like you are DOING!

No, Diabetes is not inevidable. If you keep doing what you are doing you have a great chance of not becoming diabetic. Keep up the great work! You are worth it! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 10:54:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 1:21:20 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
start thinking outside the box, and do some reading on your own. be your own best friend and advocate!!!!

The Amazing Liver & Gallbladder Flush

also [ ener-chi dot com ] where you can read some of what he has to say besides testimonials

read the amazon reviews as well.

best wishes

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 12:52:19 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Thanks to all for your well wishes and encouragement. It is extremely helpful. My Dr. is truely a good one , and I sincerely believe he has my best interest at heart. It is quite possible that I read something into what he said. At any rate, I feel comfortable enough with him to discuss this at our next meeting. I love my life, want to live for a long time and plan to take the best parts of all that I've read and go with that while discarding things that make no sense. Thanks again to you all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 1:18:05 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
I doubt you have read this...he has good info for diabetics, that diabetics should not ignore.

Timeless Secrets of Health and Rejuvenation

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 1:23:40 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
Wow....we agree for once.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 1:24:55 PM PDT
ColdShot says:
Geek,

congrats on losing the weight...
have you done any cleanses?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:19:07 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2013 1:27:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:08:10 PM PST
Since you are (thankfully) pre-diabetic, you might work the herb/spice cinnamon into your diet, since it has been shown experimentally to help prevent diabetes.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031133_cinnamon_diabetes.html
CINNAMON FOR DIABETES
"Not only does cinnamon activate essential enzymes in the body, thus stimulating the receptors in the cells so they will respond more efficiently to insulin, but it also inhibits the enzymes responsible for causing insulin resistance."

Cinnamon can be used in anything from baking to tea, so working it into your diet shouldn't be hard. I keep a shaker of cinnamon sugar on the counter, for a quick breakfast on toast or even peanut butter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:25:54 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Kathy, I think your doctor was being overly pessimistic. My blood sugar levels go from 99 to 116, and my doctor just tells me to be careful and that she would prefer the numbers to be below 100. My father, grandfather and great-grandfather all had diabetes, so I'm very careful. I recently dropped 30 pounds, and walk at least half an hour every day, and keep my caloric intake at 1300 or below, on average.

Of course we're all different, so my story might not be helpful for you, but I think, if I were you, I'd get another opinion, maybe go to someone who specializes in endocrinology, if your current doctor isn't already specializing in that area.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:04:43 PM PST
Nancy W says:
My doctor told me any glucose reading under 100 is great. If you can keep it under a 100 you won't become a diabetic. Don't gain the weight back whatever you do as you are doing great. I did get congratulations from my doctor when I dropped down to a reading of 95 and diabetes runs in my family so I was thrilled. Think about getting a different doctor.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:09:51 PM PST
hsia says:
hello Kathy: you remember when you were little, Sunday breakfast? fried bacon first then fried eggs in bacon grease? at that time, we only know Type 1, 10 or 20 yrs later, type 2 appeared only to over wight people. nowadays seems everyone is type 2, why? because blood sugar level is on roller coaster. why 1970 or earlier, people can easily controlled the blood sugar level?
would you like to try to re-inact the sunday breakfast back 1960s? so long skip pancake syrup, instead Maple syrup will be better, pancake syrup mainly corn syrup, it will ruin the re-inactment.
with the bacon grease your blood sugar will be leveled at least 10 hrs.
no need medication, no jittering, no shaking feeling.
you need to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:11:31 PM PST
hsia says:
hello Kathy: you remember when you were little, Sunday breakfast? fried bacon first then fried eggs in bacon grease? at that time, we only know Type 1, 10 or 20 yrs later, type 2 appeared only to over wight people. nowadays seems everyone is type 2, why? because blood sugar level is on roller coaster. why 1970 or earlier, people can easily controlled the blood sugar level?
would you like to try to re-inact the sunday breakfast back 1960s? so long skip pancake syrup, instead Maple syrup will be better, pancake syrup mainly corn syrup, it will ruin the re-inactment.
you need to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:12:01 PM PST
hsia says:
you need to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 10:16:25 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Kathy, if you're trying to keep your blood sugar level down, don't listen to this person who recommends you use any kind of sugary syrup. I imagine you already know this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:16:39 AM PST
Livia says:
The only sugary topping I know of that does not always have a negative effect on a diabetics blood sugar is truly raw honey (not even lightly heated, as some supposedly raw honeys are) . For some, it has a stabilizing effect. I wouldn't try it without self-testing before and after, though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2012
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions