Customer Discussions > Health forum

How do you flush toxins out of your body?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2007 12:02:07 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
Sometimes my body feels like I need a good flush out. What's the best way? And also, does sweating release/flush toxins? We've been debating this in the break room.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 6:54:46 PM PDT
MDLC says:
There is an olive oil toxin flush for you colon, kidney, liver, and spleen. Sounds weird but I am about to try it.
Here is the link:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-119174.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 6:55:59 PM PDT
Alex says:
Two ways...1: excercise 2: massage, especially lymphatic drainage (make sure you go to one trained in this)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2007 11:09:53 PM PDT
keldoe says:
Dandelion root is a great liver cleanser, in addition to many other benefits. Can be in tea form and I believe also in tincture.
There are many cleansing products out there, but this is a great, and inexpensive, place to start. You'll see it as an ingredient on many pricey cleansing systems. Also, what Alex said, massage, exercise, and also water, LOT'S of water.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 3:57:49 PM PDT
Janet Morrow says:
Last year, I got a few natural books on healing and cleansing. They recommended drinking water with a little vinegar in the morning, first thing. They also recommended drinking a lot of water during the day, and no other liquids. And of course eating healthier... The water in the morning with vinegar or lemon juice seems to help me feel better. I've heard any type of those 'colonic' flushes/medications are bad for you because they also remove the 'good bacterias'.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 10:34:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2007 10:51:02 PM PDT
Though it sounds simple, yet I always question the rationale of those who believe in body cleansing.

1- What is the definition of body toxins?
2- How do you know when or if one should cleanse the body of such toxins?
3- Who is qualified to do such illusive task?
4- How could someone tell when cleansing is needed?

Those are few of endless number of questions that make me believe that the whole business of body cleansing only suits folks with obsessive tendencies.

Well, the world isn't going to stop spinning on a dime, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 2:51:45 PM PDT
N. F. Payne says:
Merrie I have done this flush years ago when I was not even 20 and it definately works....even that young I passed gall stones....WOW....wonder what would come out of me more than 20 yrs later

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 2:54:56 PM PDT
N. F. Payne says:
I think it is more based on the fact that we know more now days about the poor diets we insult ourselves with, the daily stresses and pollutants. Body cleanses or flushes add to a feeling of renewed energy and give you a fresh slate to start with so to speak if you are interested in changing your diet or improving your health. You would have to experience it to know the value.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 10:58:37 AM PDT
Your body does a wonderful job of cleaning itself, if it didn't and "toxins" accumulated...you would die!

All these "flushes" that are currently trendy are scientific nonsense!

Liver cleanses: Usually revolve around drinking oil, lemon juice and a salt. Aside from never TOUCHING your liver, these chemicals mix in your stomach and are subjected to the alkaline small intestine. Hmm?fat, salt alkyl....saponification! You are making soap! It will become stained green by bile salts but its still soap. A person who passes these globs of green soap will be impressed...but they are not "liver stones" or "toxins"....just stained soap.

Colonics: You have to realize that defecation is NOT a cleansing process. It is the normal movement of food thru the digestive system. Quack today will have you believe that your intestine is a veritable toxic waste dump. Find a video of a colonoscopy. Do you see thick layers of toxic sludge and mucous? No, you see nice pink intestine.

Foot baths: If you ever had a clown come to your house and try to sell you a water conditioner...you have seen this trick. An electrode runs a current through a water bath. One of these electrodes is made of iron so oxidative products (rust) forms on it while the current is active. THe result is still rust..often made more horrible looking from "Bath salts" also sold by the people who make the foot bath. Once again, impressive loooking, but still just rust.

Heavy metal cleanses: Heavy metals are indeed toxic. But the problem is, once they are absorbed into cells they are nearly impossible to get out...this is why mercury poisoning is so very bad. If the metals are still in your blood stream they can be chelated out. No herbal concoction will "trick" them out of your cells.

You want to "clean" your body?

1. Don't put lots of c*ap INTO it.
2. Drink lots of water, water is the only substance that passes through every cell in your body and is processed thru the most efficient filter on the planet (your kidneys)
3. Don't worry about "parasites, toxins and waste" it is a paranoia scheme to seperate you from your money!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 2:33:32 PM PDT
Michael Wasson says:
"Your body does a wonderful job of cleaning itself, if it didn't and "toxins" accumulated...you would die! "

Comment:
=======
If you substitute "metabolites" for "toxins", then the biological system is not as perfect as you claim. Death of individual cells or systems precedes the death of the whole. In other words, the vascular system might be diseased with accumulation of cholesterol plaques that clog circulation, but death might require many years of such clogging before terminal state ensues.

Michael Wasson says:
"All these "flushes" that are currently trendy are scientific nonsense!"

Comment:
=======
There is no definitive boundaries for scientific methods. The claim of olive oil and lemon juice might be an experiment done by an extremist, but many scientific discoveries had followed from such odd trends in our thinking.

Michael Wasson says:
"Liver cleanses: Usually revolve around drinking oil, lemon juice and a salt. Aside from never TOUCHING your liver, these chemicals mix in your stomach and are subjected to the alkaline small intestine. Hmm?fat, salt alkyl....saponification! You are making soap! It will become stained green by bile salts but its still soap. A person who passes these globs of green soap will be impressed...but they are not "liver stones" or "toxins"....just stained soap."

Comment:
=======
The oil intake does trigger the gall bladder to contract and dump its bile content into the digestive system. Of course, a person could not pass gall bladder stones unless there were some stones and that the stones were loose and that the stones were small and that the stones were allowed to pass the whole route through the intestine.

The lemon with the oil would trigger explosive diarrhea due to upsetting the intestine. Although that might relieve constipation, it also disturbs the intestinal flora. Whether that fits the description of detoxification or not, depends on the person. A person with chronically loaded and inflated colon might fulfill the description of detoxification. The point is that, your approach stems from moderation and individual personal views. Some people do not fall in such classification. I personally know few people with badly distended guts who could benefit from any "sponification" process, that you have alluded to.

Michael Wasson says:

"Colonics: You have to realize that defecation is NOT a cleansing process. It is the normal movement of food thru the digestive system. Quack today will have you believe that your intestine is a veritable toxic waste dump. Find a video of a colonoscopy. Do you see thick layers of toxic sludge and mucous? No, you see nice pink intestine."

Comment:
=======
Colonoscopy is done after purging the colon prior to the procedure. Viewing the colon with loaded feces is not practical. Yes, the colon is the most toxic part of the body that is kept healthy with high fiber diet. A low fiber, high protein diet irritates the colon and is thought to attribute to colon cancer. Again, a pink intestine is not always nice. It could be irritated, inflamed, or even pre-malignant.

Michael Wasson says:
"Foot baths: If you ever had a clown come to your house and try to sell you a water conditioner...you have seen this trick. An electrode runs a current through a water bath. One of these electrodes is made of iron so oxidative products (rust) forms on it while the current is active. THe result is still rust..often made more horrible looking from "Bath salts" also sold by the people who make the foot bath. Once again, impressive loooking, but still just rust."

Comment:
=======
I have no clue on that issue.

Michael Wasson says:
"2. Drink lots of water, water is the only substance that passes through every cell in your body and is processed thru the most efficient filter on the planet (your kidneys)"

Comment:
=======
Drinking water more than one's needs could cause water intoxication due to over-hydration. A lot of water could thin the blood and lower the isotonic pressure which could cause serious brain damage and heart arrest. Drinking proper amounts of water is the right thing to do.

I just thought to complement your wise thoughts with some of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 5:11:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2007 7:11:03 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 5:19:25 PM PDT
I believe the best way to flush out toxin out of your body is through Panchakarma. Panchakarma is part of the Ayurvedic System of medicine, a time tested technique that produces wonderful results. For more information, look, or search for local Ayurvedic doctors / practitioners. I have used it in myself an in many of my patients and it works wonderfully. Panchakarma will not only flush toxins out of your body, it will balance your organism in a deep way, restoring its ability to restore health.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 6:42:52 AM PDT
I finished the apple juice/epsom salts/olive oil liver detox today, passed about 1/3 cup of stones (I'm a 35 y.o. male and otherwise very healthy) and feel a million bucks! First time I have done it. The "recipe" can be found here: http://www.shanti.com.au/body/liver.htm. You drink plenty of apple juice for a few days first as the malic acid in the juice apparently softens up the stones so they pass easier.

I did a 5 day herbal colon cleanse in January this year and lost 15lbs in 12 days. The stuff that came out was definitely not the regular variety. Again, felt great afterwards.

Anyone who thinks they can eat a "normal" western diet without accumulating all the herbicides, pesticides, preservatives, and other trace elements in and on their food is kidding themselves. Interesting to note that the majority of "experts" who consider detoxification mere quackery seem not to have given it a try.

Taking prescription drugs to mask the side-effects of a poor diet/lifestyle without addressing the cause seems pretty dumb to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 7:27:32 AM PDT
Croppled1 says:
You know when your meds are no longer working like they did before . When your sick and slugish and wake in sweats . When the bowels are not moving right . Then its time to cleanse or concentrate on it . I learned the simplist natural things are important for me in severe chronic pain on opiates . I must eat fiber ( honey nut cherios and wheaties work for me ) drink plenty of juices and water . I use mirilax daily . If I get sick or behind I take citronoma to flush out . And yes you must keep the good bacteria going by eating yougurt , fruits and vegtables . Enuclose syrup helps make gas to push out waste if you get serious narcotic bowel syndrome . I am completely disabled now . I have no hope of working without help to get there and stay there. I want to but they have no systems in place to help anymore . Not even a sanatorium anywhere in the USA . Health care here is just terrible ..you never know until you find yourself in it . Once your diagnosed as having a chronic illness your considerred a waste of time and drag on society here ..there is no empathy or support system from society ..we want to think there is and point to this or that but in reality there is nothing practical that solves problems for the bulk of individuals even if they try to the best of their abillities to make it work .
I dream of a community of chronically ill people working together to have a voice and better options and Doctors willing to help where the profit just isnt lucritive . It isnt impossible we need to build our own sanatoriums as a collective group self interested otherwise we will die alone cropped out of society .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 8:33:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 3, 2007 8:34:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 8:34:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 3, 2007 8:35:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 8:34:07 AM PDT
Barry says:
I also have chronic pain and take opiates (among other meds). I try to eat healthy but I'm not very good at it (lol). I really try to stay positive (very important) & do healthy things like: drink water, get fiber, exercise a little, etc. I have tried various cleanses but they don't seem help. Right now I am trying a foot patch called Dexotion (they have a website). You wear a patch on the bottom of each foot at night to draw out toxins. I know it sounds really crazy (& I was leery at first), but I wake up with results (brown stuff on/in the patch). They say over time the color will fade and you know you have been getting toxins out (we'll see!). My Mother told me about them, she had been using them for about a week and said she was feeling great-so much better than before. They say that it works with the lymphatic system and the acupressure points on the bottom of your feet. I feel like if it's really getting out any toxins, then I'm just putting them right back in with the meds, etc. Does anyone have any experience with these patches?

To Croppled1: What country are writing from - I'm not sure which health care system you are referring to? I can understand your desire to have that community of people. Chronic pain can be isolating. I can still get around well for the most part. I am very grateful to my pain management doctor. He listens and talks with me about things. I am one of those people that doesn't look like there's anything wrong. All my "stuff" is in the neck and shoulder area (birth defect-very long story) and I look just fine, but I'm in pain constantly. And since I look fine, people don't really understand. Anyway, I can understand about being sick & sluggish & waking in sweats. Can you please tell me more about citronoma. Is that the drink in the little bottle that tastes like it's mostly sodium with citrus in it? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2007 12:57:29 PM PDT
Though it sounds simple, yet I always question the rationale of those who believe in body cleansing.

1- What is the definition of body toxins?
2- How do you know when or if one should cleanse the body of such toxins?
3- Who is qualified to do such illusive task?
4- How could someone tell when cleansing is needed?

Those are few of endless number of questions that make me believe that the whole business of body cleansing only suits folks with obsessive tendencies. <<<

Such wisdom!
Thanks for your posts

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2007 5:20:26 AM PST
Smartman says:
ALL cleansing products are a scam and a waste of $$ need proof..I'd be happy to share...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 4:02:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 4:13:20 AM PST
Mohamed,

Always good to get input from other scientists/medical people!

The scientific illiteracy on these boards is shocking.

And Colin:

I do not need to try things that make no sense. If I told you that eating a combination of strawberries, mustard and pig bladder would turn your gray hair back to its natural color, would you try it?

Probably not because it makes no sense and is not especially appetizing. People with knowledge of biochemistry and physiology think the same way. If it does not make scientific sense, why do it?

The reliance on magical thinking is what keeps the quacks in biusiness. "It makes no sense scientifically but I KNOW it makes me better"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 2:22:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 2:23:58 PM PST
Thank you for your excellent posts on this topic. As a biochemist, I know that this toxin-flushing stuff is pure quackery (except for actual poisoning). These self-absorbed people with too little education, too much money, and too much time on their hands seem to fall for everything labeled "holistic."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 5:08:01 PM PST
Fisher says:
Michael Wasson:
You said your body does a wonderful job cleaning itself. What about teeth, hair, feet, Private areas? Years (hundred or so) ago, it was thought that bathing more that 2x a year was trendy, unhealthy and dangerous. I dont know anyone who still thinks this way.

Just like I would never go without brushing my teeth, I would never go without cleansing my insides with adequate water, fiber and herbs for the purpose on a regular basis. If a person bathed in the food they ate wouldn't they be dirty? Would just water wash them clean? Of course not. If a person did this daily would it build up? Of course it would.

Do you clean your exterior? If so then you cleanse too, just to a different extent than some feel is needed. Kind of like when some of our grandparents thought showering once a week was Ok, but we still thought they smelled kind of funky.

Perhaps you also think soap and toothpaste is a paranoia scheme to seperate you from your money?

Lots of C*AP is forced upon our bodies (air pollution) without our consent. Some of us would like to try to remove it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 5:45:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 5:48:22 PM PST
Sandi L. Fisher says:
"Just like I would never go without brushing my teeth, I would never go without cleansing my insides with adequate water, fiber and herbs for the purpose on a regular basis. "
Comment:
========
How do you know that water, fiber, and herbs would cleanse your inside?
What are you cleansing, anyway?

Sandi L. Fisher says:
"If a person bathed in the food they ate wouldn't they be dirty? Would just water wash them clean? Of course not. If a person did this daily would it build up? Of course it would. "
Comment:
========
Of course, you are speaking to your self with no body agreeing with your self-imposing argument.

Sandi L. Fisher says:
"Do you clean your exterior? If so then you cleanse too, just to a different extent than some feel is needed. "
Comment:
========
You have to have very specialized education to know the interior of human body. You cannot ask your auto mechanic to operate on your brain just because the mechanic has access to hammers, saws, or knives. Cleansing by people with self-proclaimed expertise could do more harm than good.

Sandi L. Fisher says:
"Perhaps you also think soap and toothpaste is a paranoia scheme to seperate you from your money? "
Comment:
========
That is very simplistic and naïve way of advancing your argument. All people use soap and toothpaste since those are proven beneficial. Not so many people are stupid enough to buy into body cleansing since they know that human biochemistry is a complex science that should not be left to amateurs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 5:48:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 10:46:07 PM PST
happytobeme says:
Sandi,
Unless you have the educational level of a Biochemist, you are incapable of understanding why flushing toxins out of your body may not be necessary. It is the undereducated individuals that keep the quacks in business.

Internal cleansing is something that has been done for centuries in many types of medicine and cultures. The poor and undereducated are the only ones that need this done.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 6:19:53 PM PST
Fisher says:
As I mentioned at one time bathing with soap and brushing ones teeth was considered dangerous.

Most likely the practice was discouraged by the same medical practitioners who were operating without cleaning their hands. But they were probably too busy being quite impressed with their own very specialized education.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 56 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  419
Total posts:  1381
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2007
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 42 customers

Search Customer Discussions