Customer Discussions > Health forum

Oil Pulling

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 323 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2010 10:22:46 AM PST
Ima Fool says:
I recently read about the process of "Oil Pulling", which is apparently an old ayurvedic practice. It seems to have gained attention recently, and I have seen numerous vids on You Tube, describing it and it's benefits.

No, this is Not a joke.

My question is this....Have any of you tried it, and if so for how long?
Have you noticed any of the benefits yet?

I am about to try it myself and would like to hear from others. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 10:27:54 AM PST
Ima Fool says:
Here is a book Amazon sells about it Oil Pulling I am not connected to the book, but found the reviews interesting, at least as anecdotal information.
From what I saw on the various websites when I Googled oil pulling, I'm not even sure whether I need to buy the book.
Again, I'd like to hear from others who have done this, or are interested in trying it.
Thank you.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 11:59:11 AM PST
mango™ says:
Never heard of it. Looks kinda weird, but sort of interesting...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 12:10:39 PM PST
I've been doing it for quite some time. I don't notice any physical body differences in health but I have gotten very clean teeth because of it.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 1:27:15 PM PST
mango™ says:
Do you think that's because you're brushing them more, to get rid of the oil?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 1:38:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2010 1:39:39 PM PST
No. It is much cleaner after the oil pulling. You can feel the cleanness even before brushing. Brushing is the same or even less. I like to floss beforehand and I do not brush before oil pulling like some do. Only afterward. Most of the oil, if you indeed do it when you should (hours since eating/drinking anything, even water) then your body will release the correct enzymes and change the oil into something that cleans the teeth. Anyhow, that is how it was explained. The oil does turn white and is a lot less oily. It is thinner. It may not work if you ate or drank recently. I do it first thing in the morning while getting ready and before I drink water.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 2:08:50 PM PST
Ima Fool says:
Hi Dan,
Are your teeth actually whiter? (That's one of the benefits I'm hoping for)
How long do you do it for? 15 min?

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 3:25:38 PM PST
Truth Seeker says:
Oil pulling works to remove bacteria from the mouth because the outer casing of bacteria is oily... so the bacteria gets "pulled" into the oil and trapped... The oil gets thick as you swish it through your mouth and teeth, then gets thin, white and foamy and filled with bacteria... which you spit it into your trash... (not your sink)... It indeed makes the mouth feel cleaner, and over time, it is supposed to help clear up ailments in the body because your immune system gets stronger with less harmful bacteria it has to fight. (the mouth has a lot) ....This is my basic understanding of how oil-pulling works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 3:25:39 PM PST
It is not a cosmetic quick fix. At first teeth may seem to get slightly darker. At least, it seems so to me. This may be because things are cleansing and coming up through the enamel as part of the clarifying. It eventually gets brighter. But it is not bright white like an unhealthy unnatural process may result in. Also, you need to be consistent to see results. It is a nice gentle process not a quick overnight thing.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 4:27:01 PM PST
mango™ says:
Sounds good to me! Maybe I'll do it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 4:51:27 PM PST
May take longer than 15 minutes sometimes but sometimes it is much shorter. I don't know why.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 5:18:37 PM PST
Ima Fool says:
Dan M5 and Truth Seeker,
Thank you both for the information. I have ordered some cold pressed virgin coconut oil, but while I'm waiting, is it OK to start with EVOO? I always have plenty of that around.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 5:22:07 PM PST
Why are you not supposed to spit it into your sink?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 5:25:07 PM PST
Truth Seeker says:
mamapajama... look at this site... there are oodles of testimonials and lots of info... good luck :)

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 5:26:18 PM PST
Truth Seeker says:
the oil can build up and eventually clog your pipes ... besides, the oil you spit is filled with toxins and bacteria... you don't want that in your sink... and whatever ya do, don't swallow it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 5:34:08 PM PST
Yuck! Cold pressed coconut oil? I wouldn't be able to put that in my mouth without gagging I think. I like sesame oil. But you may be like it, people are different.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 5:54:12 PM PST
Ima Fool says:
When you say sesame oil, I think of the tasty oil I use in Asian cooking, but it's yummy flavored. Is that the actual sesame oil you use, or is there another kind?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 6:00:14 PM PST
Well this would be cold pressed, organic therefore not for cooking. A nutty flavor and subtle. Coconut oil makes me gag. I used to take it as a supplement until I started with the super duper low fat diet. But I had to start taking caplets because I couldn't force myself to take it often enough. :P

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 6:24:06 PM PST
mango™ says:
How about extra virgin olive oil?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 6:59:06 PM PST
If I remember right that will do it. Just try it. See if it does the same thing we've been saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 7:23:16 PM PST
ColdShot says:
I read about it....in a womans magazine a few years back while doing laundry in northbrook illinois....circa 1998

the author was on a long hike in india and started feeling pretty bad and she "didn't have time to get sick" [ lol...where have I heard that before ]

and she visited an ayeuvedic doctor and they worked wonders on her...tho I forgot how long it took, I recall it was quite a short time

and there was some oil pulling going on but that's all I can remember

I suppose most any major city or upscale neigborhood may have one or two of those folks around to help folks like us who have pierced the veil and are willing to go beyond the normal medical sources for help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 7:27:59 PM PST
ColdShot says:
hahahahahaha

I just heard doctor nemec, an alternative to alternative doctors say, that crud on the teeth was due to internal issues....and voila!!! here you are splaining it to us.....

on a different note, I found that rinsing/swishing weak apple cider vinegar helps frshen up the mouth and gums and helps with bleeding too....I also use baking soda

tho I have yet to do an oil pull.....sure seems about time I gave it a shot...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 7:53:28 PM PST
ACV, even weak, is not a good idea. It can strip the enamel eventually. I drink the stuff daily but I use a straw and do it carefully. It makes me feel very good but not on my teeth. It can cause tooth decay if you aren't careful.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 9:54:23 AM PST
ColdShot says:
I did my 1st pull with zoe olive oil

chewed and pulled and sucked it thru my teeth for about 10 minutes, and it came out milky looking

I rinsed with diluted ACV to help get the oil out then rinsed my mout a cpl times

tongue is clean, feels fresh, I hadn't brushed my teeth yet but there was no bad breath either!!!!

I'm going to the store right now for sesame and sunflower

then later I'll post the site that listed all the oils

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 2:14:21 PM PST
mango™ says:
Cool.
I tried olive oil, but didn't like it at all....only lasted 10 min....the longest 10 minutes I've spent in a long time!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  323
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions