Customer Discussions > Health forum

Swanson Vitamins still uses Titanium Dioxide

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2011 8:03:39 AM PST
HealthBuff says:
Why would one of the largest health supplement suppliers Swanson Vitamins still continue to use Titanium Dioxide in their supplements despite the fact that it has been cited that it is carcinogenic to humans? URL: http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html
It seems that Vitacost took it out from all their supplements as well as NowFoods. This is very troublesome to me since I do buy Swanson products. Seems like a switch is in place to a supplier who actually cares about the health of their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 8:42:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2011 6:50:07 PM PST
ColdShot says:
I noticed now foods also uses canola oil! I was about to purchase some sesame sticks and read the label and there it was, canola oil...so they lost a sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 3:49:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2011 3:50:33 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
Alyson, did you read and understand the article? The evidence is that large amounts of inhaled titanium dioxide dust causes increased level of lung cancer in laboratory rats. Large amounts of virtually ANY inhaled dust can be expected to do similar damage.

snip:
This evidence showed that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation*. The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer.

http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 4:29:28 PM PST
Brian Rogers says:
Titanium dioxide is in almost every tablet formulation on the market, both dietary supplements and drugs. It is not carcinogenic when taken orally.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 6:51:24 PM PST
ColdShot says:
thx for making that clear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 9:22:46 PM PST
Best not to go through life being afraid of every little thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 9:55:04 PM PST
Titanium dioxide is in just about everything white. its white pigment

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 9:55:53 PM PST
Titanium dioxide is in just about everything white. its white pigment

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 5:03:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 8:11:48 AM PST
ParrotSlave says:
If you are going to worry about something, why don't you worry about the source of their herbal products, and indeed of their chemical supplements proper, and the possibility of contamination, especially if those substances come from the PROC or India or other third world nations. Minuscule amounts of oral titanium dioxide are nothing to worry about. If you need to worry, read up on a few well-designed studies over the last few years that have found worrisome amounts of really dangerous contaminants, such as lead, cadmium, etc., in a number of imported "health" supplement products. Most suppliers have making money as their main goal, and it's easier to do that if they purchase the cheapest ingredients, and those other nations are well known for their low prices and high levels of contaminants.

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 6:02:24 PM PDT
Trent Black says:
Here is something better to worry about. lololol. You know those colored flavored drinks? Well, some of that coloring is sometimes made from coal tar.
Or look at the ingredients of McDonald's Chicken Nuggets. For even the candy, M&M's.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 9:00:57 AM PDT
Don't tell me!

You actually believe the chain email about canola oil, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 11:25:27 AM PDT
medialint says:
Must have gotten trapped in my spam filter. What the hysteria this time? That's what I fry my wings in ...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 11:30:44 AM PDT
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 2:44:33 PM PDT
alessandrina says:
I've not seen a canola oil email, but I'd still never use or consume it; 80% of canola crops are GMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 2:51:59 PM PDT
NAF says:
Hi- You can get organic canola oil. I buy it at Whole Foods. Olive oil is my first choice, but when you are baking or making pancakes, olive oil won't work. Thanks, Nancy

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 4:48:58 PM PDT
alessandrina says:
Thanks, Nancy. I was aware of that. I should have been more specific; I wouldn't consume or use something that simply listed canola oil in the ingredients. Although, I don't buy even organic canola oil. I prefer using other oils.
Thanks though.

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 2:59:23 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
I have been buying Swanson brand Glucosamine products for years and have found them to be great products and value.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2011 4:26:14 AM PDT
The problem with organic canola is, is it REALLY organic? Canola pollinates on the wind, so there could be a nearby GMO farm contaminating the crop.

There are so many better for you and better tasting oils, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 8:23:40 AM PDT
"80% of canola crops are GMO."

The low erucic acid varieties of rapeseed were developed through cross breeding, not direct genetic manipulation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 9:31:34 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
So what's wrong with using the cheapest supermarket-branded cooking oil, or using lard?

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 3:39:52 PM PDT
K. Beck says:
I use olive oil in pancakes all the time with no problems.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 3:40:44 PM PDT
K. Beck says:
I am not a fan of swanson. You get what you pay for in my opinion. They sell to many tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:51:56 PM PDT
Russell Bly says:
Here's an interesting article on oral Titanium Dioxide ingestion: http://www.cancer.ucla.edu/Index.aspx?page=644&recordid=298

That's why all of our products are Mortechem Free. To learn more about Mortechems, including Titanium Dioxide, check out http://www.mortechems.com

Basically, if a vitamin is full of added chemicals that have Material Safety Data Sheets associated with them, why consume them when you have a choice. If you could drink 100% pure spring water, or water from toilet that met the US Government standards for purity, which one would you drink?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:33:17 PM PST
"Basically, if a vitamin is full of added chemicals that have Material Safety Data Sheets associated with them, why consume them when you have a choice."

There are MSDSs for everything: ethanol (people drink it regularly!), riboflavin (a B vitamin), adenosine triphosphate (your body produces it naturally, and you couldn't make RNA without it), citric acid, sodium chloride, etc., etc. Just because an MSDS exists does not mean an ingredient is to be avoided. (That doesn't mean you should go around ingesting everything with an MSDS, either. Just use some common sense.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:54:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:56:57 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
"This evidence showed that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation*. The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments."

The same process can result from exposure to virtually any dusty environment. It's not the TiO2 per se that does it. It's exposure to fine dust of almost any sort. The effect also depends on the length of exposure. Are you grinding your Swanson pills into microfine dust and inhaling it often?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions