Customer Discussions > Health forum

How to stop eating three hourse before going to sleep?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 300 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 4:44:23 PM PDT
Grady Miller says:
Please share your best ideas to best achieve not eating in the hours before sleeping. I think this practice a big help for energy and fitness. Let's pool our ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:20:27 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Um, just don't eat. It's really quite simple. Throw out the snack foods so you won't be tempted to eat mindlessly while watching television.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:43:27 AM PDT
Oregongirl says:
It's called Will Power. Will power has to be used & strengthened if not then she tends to let us down. If you want to reign in your night time eating, then work on your will power 24/7 and not just in the evenings.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:12:31 AM PDT
Grady Miller says:
Great ideas. To practice will power--what I would call choice--and strengthen it 24/7. Also, remove the snack food and not mindlessly eat while watching TV. I'll ad to the list: to reign in nighttime eating, prefer eating in the company of others to eating alone.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:28:24 PM PDT
If you eat two tablespoonfulls of natural honey three hours prior to sleepy time, it will suprize you at how your appetite is stanuched. The reason one is always hungry is that the foods being eaten are not nourishing the liver as they should. Natural Fructose is the most likely sugar missing in our snacks, and without natural fructose the liver cannot release the hormones needed to convert the surplus glucose in your diet to glycogen. Until the liver is well stocked with glycogen in preparation for the night time fast, hunger will persist.

This is all covered in the book The Hibernation Diet

This book is aimed at the weight management industry, and if managing weight is the reason one wants to reign in the overconsumption of night time treats, you will be very pleased you did read this book.

Cheers, and sweet snacking!

John$

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 2:02:22 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
Or then, fruit with dinner would accomplish the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 2:39:02 PM PDT
To an extent, yes. It would help enormously though if the fruit were tree ripened and grown on natural methods. Fruit that is deficient in the long chain sugar molecules (picked too green?) will not be as beneficial. What makes natural honey so superb is that it is complete, there being no way mankind can bring on the nectar flow to suit the market place. Natural Honey always represents the perfect balance between the soil, the temperature and the moisture for instance, but in fact all the elements of the plant, regardless of where and when and how. The honey flow is like the orgasm of the plant kingdom. It is the perfect moment. Hence, the sugars in the nectar are the highest form of fuel in the biosphere.

Things like dried dates that are grown and allowed to dehydrate naturally are good. Tinned fruits, or fruit juices that have been sweetened with factory syrups will disappoint. You can go straight to the best medicine by choosing natural honey. Are you prepared to peel or prepare fresh fruit or is convenience and the ready to eat features important? Honey still ticks all the boxes! Go for the stepping stones if you insist, but honey is the ultimate goal.

Cheers,

John$

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:43:35 AM PDT
In regards to consuming honey - Remember that while it is a natural appetite suppressant it is also an energy booster so I wouldn't necessarily recommend right before bedtime.

A study in Canada suggests that along with a sensible diet during the day, if you end a small meal with a teaspoon of honey it may help you feel full and perhaps reduce snack cravings.*

* "American Bee Journal"; Experience with Honey in Athletic Nutrition; Lloyd Percival; 1955

Good luck!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:13:36 PM PDT
I think the key is not necessarily to avoid eating for 3 hours before sleep... I think it is to avoid the types of food that are usually eaten in the 3 hours before bed time. I understand that there is no physiological problem with a healthy snack in the evening, but too often evening snacks (including mine) are unhealthy junk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:40:34 PM PDT
Grady Miller says:
You're the honey man, imbue your description of this substance with lyrical truths about its extraordinary place in nature and then reveal the science of satiety, relating to natural fructose and the liver. Amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 2:48:14 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
S., yes, I don't see the problem. Just don't eat. I never eat later than 7 p.m., when I have a small dish of non fat yogurt and fruit. I changed my eating habits a few years ago when I decided to get rid of some weight. I did it slowly, losing 30 pounds over 15 months, and am keeping it off by keeping the calories and processed carbs low. One of the tricks is not to eat after 7:00, though it's even better if you can stop earlier than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:54:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 11:56:24 AM PDT
S. Kessler says:
My cutoff is 8 pm except for a nibble of dark chocolate or a sugar-free ice pop. If I eat solid food later than that, I feel it like a brick in my tummy and can't lay down to sleep. And I've lost 15 lbs. in a year upping my protein and cutting out the processed carbs, too. It works.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:09:31 PM PDT
c---kuta says:
My rule is, if I'm hungry I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Time of day does not factor into it.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:47:48 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
laying down with a full belly can also lead to such problems as:

Barrett's Esophagus

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/barretts-esophagus-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:54:46 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
yes a big meal before bed can lead to more weight gain. Sumo wrestlers actually use the eat-before-sleep approach to put weight on

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:08:03 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
S., I also raised my protein intake some. For my age group the optimal protein intake is 48 grams, and I usually manage to get that. I'm gradually going back to vegetarianism, but am still eating chicken and fish, but adding more and more tofu.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:04:44 AM PST
"Also, remove the snack food and not mindlessly eat while watching TV. "

Brilliant idea #257: Don't watch TV in the evenings (or at least not very often). Find something else to do. Move a little. Take an evening walk. Do a yoga/stretching dvd. Play board games with the family. Work on a craft that requires both hands (I create paper art) so you can't shovel food in your mouth while you're doing it. Whatever.

Sleep experts suggest turning off ALL electronic devices at least one hour before bedtime. Computers, electronic readers, televisions. Everything.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 6:33:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 6:35:27 AM PST
Spinoza says:
Why would you stop eating three hours before bedtime, what do you hope to accomplish by doing so, and where is the evidence that "this practice a big help for energy and fitness?"

I recently read a monograph purporting to show that eating or not eating several hours before bedtime has no effect on weight gain or weight loss.

Your body is going to digest your food the way it always does, whether or not you have recently eaten before bed. Some people just find it uncomfortable to eat before bedtime.

And some (like me) can't go to sleep hungry. If you're hungry before bedtime, have a little snack.

Spinoza says it's OK. ;-)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 7:49:00 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
I don't agree. Why would you want to eat a large meal close to bedtime? you are doing nothing more than sleeping and your body is repairing itself but at the same time you need little energy from food. You are more likely to store the food as fat than if you eat when you need the energy i.e. during the day. If you store the energy as fat then it is less available to use during active durations. From eating a large meal at a time close to bedtime will make you more likely to eat more calories in the 24hr period.

Sumo wrestlers deliberately eat before bed in order to pack on weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:52:07 AM PST
Astrocat says:
When I lived in South America I made a point of eating supper at 5:00 and nothing thereafter. The Paraguayans usually ate very late, just before going to bed, and they couldn't understand how I could "go hungry" for twelve hours or more. They all told me they couldn't go to sleep on an empty stomach. So it could be a cultural thing, and I have to say there were no obese Paraguayans that I ever saw.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:59:45 AM PST
Spinoza says:
Nancy Davison says:

When I lived in South America I made a point of eating supper at 5:00 and nothing thereafter. The Paraguayans usually ate very late, just before going to bed, and they couldn't understand how I could "go hungry" for twelve hours or more. They all told me they couldn't go to sleep on an empty stomach. So it could be a cultural thing, and I have to say there were no obese Paraguayans that I ever saw.

Spinoza says:

Which is an excellent example of thesis, hypothesis, observation, and conclusion based upon observation.

An informal scientific observation. Now, if you took your Paraguayan friends, and a control group, and had one group eat before bed and another group who didn't, and compared the results, just as the researchers in the study I mentioned did, you'd find no significant differences in weight loss or weight gain, adjusting for activity level and caloric intake.

The problem with old wives' tales like not eating before bed, is that they are usually based upon one or two anecdotal phenomena that are not studied using a rigorous methodology to eliminate error and bias.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:07:03 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Spinoza, for me, eating just before going to bed brings on heart burn, which is why I don't do it. That and the fact that during my growing up years on the ranch we always ate ate supper at 5:00. For me to go out to dinner and eat, say, at 6:30 or 7:00 is very unusual.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:09:44 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
Given that Americans are overweight it would be a best practice to not eat a large meal before bed. An overweight person Or a person desiring to maintain a healthy weight would be best to eat small meals. Its a mental thing that 'one can't sleep with an empty belly'. In fact, eating before bed can ruin sleep. Its the way I live and I struggle to maintain my weight. So if you are lean then keep your ignorance to yourself huh?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:12:27 AM PST
Treehugger© says:
Spinoza might try eating thanksgiviving dinner then hanging upside down and try to keep his meal from washing out onto the floor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 9:16:04 AM PST
Spinoza says:
Treehugger© says:

I don't agree. Why would you want to eat a large meal close to bedtime? you are doing nothing more than sleeping and your body is repairing itself but at the same time you need little energy from food.

Spinoza says:

Your body is constantly repairing itself, 24 hours a day. You simy have more available energy for repair when you are inactive.

Treehugger says:

You are more likely to store the food as fat than if you eat when you need the energy i.e. during the day.

Spinoza says:

The research disagrees with your hypothesis. Do you have any research that would counter those claims?

Treehugger says:

If you store the energy as fat then it is less available to use during active durations. From eating a large meal at a time close to bedtime will make you more likely to eat more calories in the 24hr period.

Spinoza says:

Your body doesn't discriminate. If you eat more calories than you burn, the body efficiently stores the excess as fat, regardless of what type of calorie consumed or when it is consumed. It's that simple.

Treehugge says:

Sumo wrestlers deliberately eat before bed in order to pack on weight.

Spinoza says:

Then it appears sumo wrestlers are laboring under the same misconception as you are. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  300
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions