Customer Discussions > Health forum

Gestational Diabetes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2009 11:40:58 AM PDT
J. Hurley says:
Hi all, I've been searching online for the last couple of days to find info on a diet for women with gestational diabetes. I was diagnosed last Friday, and at the time my Dr. just said I needed a 2000 calorie per day diet and that a nutritionist would be calling me.
I've called the Dr. back several times since then and I just keep getting told that the nutritionist would get back to me. I know that there has to be more to this diet than just a calorie amount. With diabetes don't you have to watch carbs? I don't know around how much I should be having, and the last week trying to keep my carbs down I haven't been able to even reach 2000 calories in a day.
I know that nothing can replace a Drs. advice but I was hoping someone out there could just give me some pointers to hold me over until this supposed nutritionist actually contacts me?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 12:19:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2009 12:20:59 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
http://www.womenfitness.net/gestational_diabetes.htm

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Sample_Diet_for_Gestational_Diabetes

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 5:51:06 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
I think I can help you, but make sure you see that nutritionist as they'll explain the amounts of what you can have and why you have to stick to your diet with precision. Yes, you'll be watching carbs, fats, sugar and to some degree, salt. Don't use my post as a diet, only as a starter. Hound 'em until you get in.

Your no-no list will include: white potatoes in any form, white grains (includes crackers, cereals, buttered popcorn, chips, cookies, biscuits, breads and rice), bacon, butter, ham & luncheon meats, fried foods, whole milk & cheese, desserts, sodas, juices, (basically any fun beverage except water and diet snapple, lol). Also, no Ranch dressing, sweet syrups, (sugary or fatty condiments) Absolutely no candy. Ever. Corn is considered a grain on this diet. Not a vegetable. Obviously then, white pancakes w/butter & syrup is out. A whole wheat waffle w/ a limited amount of peanut butter and a V-8 is in.

OK list: limited amounts of brown rice, whole wheat breads, fish (no tuna though ), game, buffalo, 2-4 eggs per week, lean cuts of chicken, turkey. Fruits, nuts, sweet potatoes. A typical lunch could be: Chicken salad on 1/2 of ww bagel, (using fat free mayo, w/ greens, tomato) soup, 1/2 apple and a protein shake about 2 1/2 hours later. You'll be eating about 5 times a day. And I swear to you, that after a bit, you won't go hungry. Or have cravings. Those will mostly disappear. Especially if you stick to your diet. Experiment with real grains like rye, sesame & flaxseed. No white stuff.

Eat all ya want: Legumes, green vegetables, plain yogurt, (low sodium) V-8, decaf tea, most green or yellow veggies, some soups. (Not the creamy kinds) I could eat corn chips in limited amounts with homemade refried beans. No cheese though.

Having said this, keep in mind that your sugar will be tested and you'll know how much of certain food you can eat. In time, if you stick to your diet, your body will be able to tell you when you can have a treat and when you can't. Expect to have trouble with losing weight too fast. You can boost your energy level and keep your weight steady with protein shakes, lean dairy & meat, and healthy grains like oatmeal and brown rice. In time too, your body & mind will adapt. Be prepared for a surge in your energy level, better skin, and a happier attitude too. Think outside the box. You may feel actually 'better' if you eat lean chicken for breakfast and a bowl of oatmeal before bed for example. I used to save my sugar intake, (in the form of fruit), just for the oatmeal. I mostly steered clear of splenda, fake sugars, fake fats.

Don't be discouraged here. You'll end the pregnancy looking and feeling like a hot Mama. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 6:51:35 PM PDT
Oregongirl says:
Just realized that I probably avoided your real question. You get about 6-10 servings of 'good' carbs (high fiber) per day. One slice of bread is a serving, one small potato, 3 cups popcorn, a med size bowl of oatmeal (no sugar!)

It's a pretty healthy way to eat even after the baby is born.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 7:04:13 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
One thing to watch for, last I heard, is fructose. It was once thought to be less harmful to diabetics than sucrose. Now it is thought to be more harmful than sucrose. It is tough to avoid in processed foods; HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) seems to be an ingredient in nearly everything, even where sweetener of any sort is not expected.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 7:52:33 PM PDT
Don't eat too much dairy. Kaiser gave me a GD diet and in my 3rd trimester I subbed cheese for some other protein snack options because meat grossed me out a little. My kid was born with a dairy protein allergy. She pooped blood. A lot. 3 weeks after I went off dairy, it was little someone flipped a switch--totally unfussy baby. I ended up exclusively BFing for a year while we figured out if there were any other allergy issues going on. Which resulted in a Big strong, healthy baby and a TIRED mama. Anyway, my lactation consultant said women with GD have a lot of dairy allergic babies. My friend's sister had 3 kids and the only one she had GD with is the only one with a nasty dairy allergy. This is not lactose intolerance, that's the sugar---her 8 year old still gets really sick from dairy. Fortunately mine might be growing out of it at 2 1/2.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 8:03:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2009 8:04:25 PM PDT
Marilee says:
I had GD and managed to control it by following the diet plan, which was laid out in detail. I hope that your nutritionist gets back to you soon! One key element is always pairing your starch consumption with protein. Every meal or snack should consist of some sort of protein, which helps to mitigate any blood sugar fluctuation from the (whole grain/limited) carbs. Protein are the normal meats as well as cheese, cottage cheese and most nuts. You should eventually eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Your diet will look something like this-
Snack 1
1 Protein
1 Carb
Breakfast
2 Proteins
1 Carb
1 Fruit
Etc.
My doctor also said absolutely no fruit juice. I wish you the best of luck. GD was not fun, but one of the least bad things that can happen during your pregnancy.

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 7:57:25 AM PDT
J. Hurley says:
Thank you so much for the posts and links everyone, you've all been most helpful : ) All your advice is great, at least now I have an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing, lol!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:26:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2013 1:27:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:35:05 AM PST
Primrose says:
You might check out Dr. Fox's sight. He is a gynecologist that deals with infertility issues. Not your problem, obviously! But he recommends to patients that they eat lower carb meals, avoiding grains white or whole, for controlling blood sugars, dealing with gestational diabetes. He reports that he has had good success. Here is an interview of Dr. Fox which I believe a link to his sight ~

Good luck!

"Low-carb gynecologist"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2010/06/low-carb-gynecologist.html

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:54:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2013 1:25:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 10:59:23 PM PST
hsia says:
try big bone soup the old fashion way.
put any vegs or tubers you want.
stew it 2-4 hrs. pork bone, 2hrs. beef bone 4hrs.
eat every bit of it.
2x a month.
first bowl of the soup will stop GD.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:23:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 3:44:03 PM PDT
This is absolutely incorrect. Homemade vegetable soup from bones will not 'stop' diabetes of any kind.

Replacing fried food, particularly fast foods with homemade clear stock, with vegetable soups will help one lose weight and stick to a cleaner diet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions