Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Health forum

MONSANTO

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 26, 2010 11:34:41 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2010 6:32:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 8:48:52 PM PDT
Matthew says:
?????

I have no idea where the logic in this last statement of yours is... That you could say something like that tells me that, for lack of a better phrase, you ARE living with your head buried in the sand... or someplace worse (I'll be the first to tell you). I really am beginning to think that you somehow do work for Monsanto or you simply do not have an entire brain. I think the GMO's have gotten to you.

You say that "Monsanto coudn't guarantee food safety if they wanted to"

OF COURSE they could guarantee food safety if they wanted to. They could do REAL research and give the public the ACTUAL results... but they won't because then they would have to stop selling their products because they ARE unsafe! And the FDA or some sort of government entity should be responsible for ensuring the safety of their food as well!!! The safety of the food should be ensured, re-ensured, and re-ensured again by a third, unrelated party! WHY THEY AREN"T DOING THIS IS BEYOND ME!!! Well actually it isn't... I know it's because they are in each other's pockets! As shown in the statements, instead of them both claiming responsibility, neither one is! WHAT THE F@(%???

Then you say "Do you want them to be responsible for the safety of our food supply?"

YES!!! I do want them to be responsible for the safety of their products. WHAT BUSINESS (besides Monsanto) ISN'T??? What business that serves food is not responsible for the safety of its products? Any? Can you name even one (besides Monsanto, or the other CHEMICAL companies like them)? If this were true, anytime somebody got food poisoning from a restaurant the restaurant could say "sorry, not our fault... we're not responsible for the safety of our food, thats the FDA's responsibility" How stupid does that sound?!? It's RIDICULOUS! How many times have businesses been sued or put out of business altogether for serving food that got peolple sick? Yes, they are a business, but they ARE also responsible for ensuring the safety of their products. Thats why recalls and lawsuits happen all the time over these things. Your logic makes no sense whatsoever!

And no, I don't get all my information from the internet, and many of the people on here don't as well. There are multiple documentaries out on this subject now. I have watched several of them with multiple farmers being interviewed... and they all say the same thing about Monsanto. And then Monsanto always declines to be interviewed. BIG SURPRISE! What have they got to hide? Are you trying to tell me that all these people are just lying? I think you might benefit from watching a few of these as well. And you say I'm the only one that has provided you with a shred of evidence. Well, several other people on these discussions have recommended these movies as well, which all have tons of "evidence", but I guess your head was somewhere else then as well...

I also think there are still enough farmers out there that not everybody has been effected by it yet. And, yes, I'm sure there are plenty of farmers out there that like Monsanto and have no problem with what they are doing. Just because you know a few of them doesn't mean what they or Monsanto are doing is right. In my opinion these people are ignorant as well for supporting such a company. Either that or greedy. Probably both a good portion of the time. I am not surprised that the people you know think this is ok. Like attracts like and water seeks its own level. It's a no brainer to see that what they are doing is wrong, hurting people, and damaging the environment. I don't have to be an expert to see that, but if you don't see it I don't expect the people you know to see it either, EVEN IF IT'S BLATANTLY OBVIOUS.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2010 7:41:40 PM PDT
Matthew says:
LOL and whats funny is you tell me not to believe everything I read on the internet and then reply with your "evidence" being a statement on the internet from the USDA...

need I say more?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2010 7:56:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 8:45:14 PM PDT
Matthew says:
A couple interesting things about the USDA and Monsanto that I found on the internet as well

http://www.celsias.com/article/usda-suspends-pesticide-reporting-to-benefit-monsa/

"On May 21, the US Department of Agriculture, or USDA, announced that it would stop its annual publication on the kinds and amounts of pesticides applied to crops in the U.S"

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, also uses the data from these reports to determine which chemicals need to be regulated. Without this information, the successive or duplicate spraying of food crops with various chemicals could lead to lethal consequences in human, animal and aquatic populations. In fact, failure to monitor could result in currently illegal chemicals like Captan, Dursban and Endosulfan returning to the U.S. food supply and drinking water."

"Despite opposition from scientists, leading farming organizations and environmental groups, the USDA stands firm. A May 20th letter from multiple organizations is reportedly unlikely to sway the agency, even though the signers represent such a broad swath of concerned Americana that ignoring them seems like agency suicide - or would, under any other administration. Under the Bush regime, which has historically sided with big business over the environment, it's just another slap in the face to consumers and activists alike."

"The suspension of reporting is not a result of USDA overwork and understaffing, or even recent agency budget constraints, but the consequence of a recent government policy by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation, or FCIC (serving under the aegis of the USDA), which in 2007 began offering various incentives to farmers who planted Monsanto's GM corn."

hmmmmmm.... a little more?

just a few weeks ago from:

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/20984

"Groups Condemn USDA Action on Monsanto's GE Sugar Beets"

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) on Wednesday announced that it was in the process of issuing permits to authorize the planting of genetically engineered (GE) sugar beet seedlings this fall, without performing any review of the crops' environmental impacts."

"Despite repeatedly being ordered to do so, the USDA has yet to complete a single Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) assessing any GE crop."

"USDA has become a rogue agency in its regulation of biotech crops. Despite numerous court opinions, congressional mandates and federal investigations, it continues to act illegally," stated Andrew Kimbrell, Executive Director of the Center for Food Safety. "The agency and Secretary Vilsack seem to see their mission as defending Monsanto's bottom line rather than protecting farmers and consumers," Kimbrell concluded."

"Earthjustice attorney Paul Achitoff commented, "USDA's persistent refusal to comply with environmental laws in the face of one court decision after another is remarkable. This is yet another instance of USDA serving Monsanto's interests at the expense of the public interest, without regard to the rule of law." The coalition said it was considering legal action."

So you gonna tell me not to believe that, now, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 11:00:57 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 11:23:40 AM PDT
GRR DTOM says:
Actually, Monsanto's GE seeds require more water, more fertilizer, more pesticides, and more of everything else that destroys the ecology of healthy soil, which in turn requires even more of the above in the long term. Any real farmer interested in understanding and preserving soil ecology and growing things in a sustainable and organic way (I am one) knows this to be a fact. Perhaps you should investigate the suicide rate among global subsistence farmers who made the mistake of switching to Monsanto's seeds and went bust. This is not a company that has any human being's welfare at heart. Their goal is to maximize profits at all cost, and their business model is to succeed at this by destroying conventional farming so that our food supply is solely dependent on their products. Their marketing campaign inferring that the world will starve without their products is nothing but propaganda and does not hold one shred of truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 11:37:32 AM PDT
GRR DTOM says:
You obviously have not read any of the recent studies that have been performed on GMO foods outside of our country. The EU just did a double-blind study with Hamsters. After 2 generations 50% of the GMO fed Hamsters were sterile, and this increased to 70% in the 3rd generation. The French govt just completed a similar study, but with chickens. They found that after 1 generation, the GMO fed chickens had damage to their genes and epi-genes that was not present in the control group, and the damage increased exponentially in subsequent generations. You won't hear this in the news in this country, nor will you hear the politicians speak about it because money walks and talks and Monsanto, et al, lavish DC with a lot of it. It's why the EU and many other countries have the good sense not to let this scourge into their food supplies. The problem is a major political one in that the people we charge to protect us from this type of public safety hazard have turned over their duties to the corporations themselves, as if foxes guarding hen houses can actually be trusted. This problem is getting worse and will continue to get worse until we the people put a stop to it.

It is actually no cheaper to plant GMO seeds, and will likely cost more in the long run as the soil they are planted in becomes depleted and devoid of the micro-life plants need to uptake nutrients (try studying some soil science). These companies lie when they say their GMO crops will take less water and fertilizer. Farmers in India and South Africa have already discovered this. Many have committed suicide and many more have been rioting and burning Monsanto's shipments.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 12:48:20 PM PDT
GRR DTOM says:
Sorry Hummingbirder, but we cannot currently trust anything said or posted by the FDA or the USDA. These are the same bureaucrats that make it unlawful for meat producers to say on their products that their products have been tested and are free of mad cow. They're the same bureaucrats that refuse to mandate labeling of GMO food products on the BOGUS basis that it "might confuse the consumer". These are the same Bureaucrats who hold those particular positions because they promised some lobbying group or senior Congressional member that they would "push through" some bit of legislation lucrative to said party's career or bank account. The bottom line is, these govt agencies, like most all of the other govt agencies. are currently broken because they no longer have any shred of independent oversight. The drug companies said Avandia, Vioxx, etc. were safe. It turns out they lied in their data, they hid other data, they falsified trials, and as result thousands of people have been premeditatively killed. That's what happens when you let these industries police themselves, and then put political appointees with conflicts of interest in charge of the regulation, and the food industry is no different. Monsanto has committed atrocities far beyond even discussing their roots, which is that they are an offshoot of the Nazi chemical company, AG Farben, and would not even exist if it had not been for Project Paperclip. Dare you even go down that road of research?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 1:22:57 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 3:46:30 PM PDT
Hot Hands says:
I just think Hummingbirder either works for them or owns a ton of their stock, and is trying to asuage her guilt....

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 4:10:51 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 4:19:06 PM PDT
Hot Hands says:
Hummingbirders logic and reason are not supported by facts....and Monsanto does not act with integrity, so why else would one defend such a company? Lighten up Francis...it was a joke, after all.....

Just because it turns a profit, doesn't make it right. Haven't we done enough damage to ourselves and the planet we live on? Why would anyone with survival instinct, common sense or a general sense of caring for life as we know it defend that company?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 4:34:56 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 5:01:30 PM PDT
Uninformed....maybe, but all these accusations of insider junk doesn't do anyone any good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 5:04:02 PM PDT
TD5757/D. A. Webster says:

""Why would anyone with survival instinct, common sense or a general sense of caring for life as we know it defend that company?"

Society made that company what it is via demand for more crop yield. You can't create a monster and then complain when it runs amok. "

My buddy Webster...

Even the more crop yield claims are debatable. More pesticides and more herbicides though...definitely.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 7:18:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2010 7:20:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 7:36:20 PM PDT
m_zee says:
First of all let me say that I am not defending all that Monsanto has done; however I do think that the information from documentaries like Food Inc. must be taken with a grain of salt. Media likes to skew (not completely falsify, but definitely skew) information for a story. Not all of what Monsanto does is bad, not all of what they do is GMO, and not all of the GMO material that they produce is a problem. More food today is genetically modified than not. I am not saying this is the right thing to do in all cases, but if you are a person complaining about Monsanto doing this and then go out and buy a bag of Doritos...odds are you might be breaking your own rule of not supporting GMOs. I also don't think it fair that only one company gets singled out. Pioneer, Syngenta, Bayer, and others work on the same types of projects using many of the same methods. I am not saying that just because a lot of companies do it that it is right, but I am curious why none of those names came up in this discussion as well? Were they not mentioned in Food Inc.? Most importantly, I think that when discussing this or any other controversial topic it is essential to keep an open mind. Even if your mind doesn't change, there is no point to discussion if you are not willing to learn from others and their experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 9:34:17 PM PDT
YTWong says:
TD5757: "Don't even waste your energy Hummingbirder, this is a self-serving political discussion and nothing to actually do with health."

So, are you saying that you agree with Hummingbirder, that Monsanto's products are "safe"?

(From page 1...Hummingbirder: "Their products are safe...")

-----

It's weird that you think this has "nothing to actually do with health", when we may be eating food which could be GMO contaminated without our knowing or labelling, or that recombinant bovine growth hormone (rbGH) can increase toxicity in cows and cancer risk in humans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 9:35:23 PM PDT
YTWong says:
Rajchel: "Uninformed....maybe, but all these accusations of insider junk doesn't do anyone any good."

Hi Rajchel, I do not believe that Hummingbirder is "uninformed". He/She obviously knows how to do some research.

Misinformed, maybe.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 11:49:13 PM PDT
Hot Hands says:
"Not all of what Monsanto does is bad, not all of what they do is GMO"

of course not, they are the company that gave us Round-up....so so so toxic....and Agent Orange...and why would I question them with my food? LOL

I also read a very interesting article that gave evidence that the crops actually did more long term damage to crop yield...and I have no idea where to start looking for it (google duh, I'm sure)...but if you are so inclined maybe you should look it up....

But it's nice to know the seeds they produce are round-up resistant....so actually they could kill everything else, and their seeds would still grow, and if that isn't scary I don't know what is.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 1:15:49 PM PDT
soda can says:
Check out A1 milk vs A2 milk. A genetic modification likely due to a mutation, but still an example of how GMO can have unforeseen and negative consequences for the consumer.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 4:27:14 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 6:45:31 PM PDT
Everyone check out these Movies. They can be purchased on Amazon or gotten from Netflix (membership required). Some can even be watched instantly on Netflix. I did my research for about 1 year now. Doctor said I needed a hip replacement back in Oct 2009. I had extreme pain in my left hip. The x-rays were conclusive (bone on bone). Its been almost one year. No hip replacement & no pain. Cartlidge grew back. Just a good diet of healthy foods. Majority organic fruits, vegtables & jucies. Stay away from processed foods & GMO's. The following movies below will explain a lot. Do your own research and you will find out too.
Follow the money, you will find the problems.
Food Matters Foodmatters
Dirt the Movie Dirt! The Movie
Healing Cancer Healing Cancer
Dying to have Known Dying to Have Known
Gerson Miracle The Gerson Miracle
The Beautiful Truth The Beautiful Truth
And the movies mentioned earlier in these posts.

Good Luck on your NEW ADVENTURE

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 8:31:30 PM PDT
There was ONE court case and the farmer did steal the seed. If someone stole from me I would prosecute too. All the rest of the facts of your story are talking points and not facts.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:19:12 AM PDT
Hot Hands says:
So how did the human race and farming in general get us this far without Monsanto? I have my little vegetable garden, my mother grew up on a farm, I have a great deal of respect for farmers. (I have a little dream to get off the grid, and be self sustainable someday)

It's not hybrids that I find distrubing, that, of course is as old as agriculture, and happens naturally as part of plant evolution.

My biggest issue is "owning" the food supply, controlling the food supply.

And the GMO grains....I heard a news story the other day, big biz was trying to make it illegal for products to be labeled "GMO free"....and the products with GMO's did not have to be labels as such. As a consumer I find this horribly deceptive. If your manipulated product is so great, then let me choose whether or not I want to put it in my body. Consumers don't want this crap. I don't want it. I'd pay extra to not have it.

Also the plain fact that the seeds they are developing are Round-up resistant...I find that very creepy....not that they would, but imagine the implications, they could poison everything but their own seeds...think about that for a minute. I find that disturbing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
which is best Resveratrol product (not too expensive)? 4127 5 minutes ago
Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia? 159 21 hours ago
Should all hospitals be required to have a doctor tell patients thier prognosis on discharge date? 31 1 day ago
Cancer - Sugar Link 229 4 days ago
Rife Machine Usuage 6295 5 days ago
Are anti-depressants as dangerous and useless as some statistics show? 541 7 days ago
Anxiety, Insomnia, Depression 66 7 days ago
Anyone have any recommendations for Anxiety? 75 7 days ago
Raw meal removed from amazon? 3 8 days ago
How to Stay Healthy Without Pharma Drugs: What Works and What Doesn't Based on Your Experiences 544 8 days ago
Swanson Vitamins still uses Titanium Dioxide 52 8 days ago
Am I screwed? I have seasonal depression and badly need help. 661 8 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  9348
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2010
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions