ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Health forum

I have NO sense of direction AT ALL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 346 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:03:45 PM PDT
I know "up stage" is closer to the audience (thus, "upstaging" another actor) but when you face the stage from the audience, is stage left on the left?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:05:07 PM PDT
At the same time, though, Thomas, it can be traumatic to get really lost?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:09:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 8:17:05 PM PDT
Hi Carl,
Well, you must be able to see well enough to read this thread, huh. I have a visceral fear of becoming blind because of my "lostitude." Only being guided by a person to whom I can give an address and take his or her arm will get me there. (Of course, I'd also want a guide dog. But who wouldn't?)

My husband's eyes are not perfectly in sync. He had surgery on them when he was 2. His eyesight is pretty good. But going to 3-D movies is a waste on him and they're just annoying. He cannot make out those "Magic Eye" posters and see the hidden image to save his life whereas I can see them immediately. Yet he's a math whiz and can multiple big numbers in his head with ease. He's a good communicator because he teaches at the local tech college mechanical drafting and design. I'm an excellent communicator because I am more intuitive. We are both logical and intelligent. But he'll walk behind me into the party and I'll shmooze with everyone as he goes and gets my drink for me. If he can find one new guy to talk to, he's fine. We went to a retirement party yesterday at his friend's house. There 3 other people my husband knew from work, the man and about 25 of his relatives. I got the man's life story in the first 15 minutes of being there and my husband was hanging on every word. He's known this guy for years but all this was new stuff. So we all have strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to be aware of both and maximize the former while compensating for the latter.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:15:58 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
I've said before that I think using a GPS is a good thing, of course you have to learn how to use it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:17:34 PM PDT
Treehugger© says:
Jane you make a good ditz. Are you blonde?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:20:07 PM PDT
TH: my problem with being so dependent on a GPS is...what if it gets it wrong? What if the battery dies or it otherwise becomes unworkable? We stood at the GPS display for about 2 hours carefully reading each devices' box. You can't know if it's the one for you until you use it. And then if it was the wrong's the wrong choice.

Posted on May 20, 2012 8:32:44 PM PDT
blueskies says:
Sometimes the GPS can't get a satellite signal or loses it! OMG! That is terrible. So, now I have a backup GPS on my phone and I Map Google places before I embark. I write down directions to places that I go to frequently so I don't get lost. I have a whole little book of directions I keep with me. I am not really sure why I have this lack of sense of direction but my mother was even worse, so maybe it is genetic. One of my friends famously said that I could get lost in a phone booth...I think being able to know "East, West, North, South" is amazing. I just don't have that ability. Whoever invented the GPS? I am very grateful!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:33:31 PM PDT
Thomas Gann says:
Yes Jane, it can be pretty traumatic to get lost. Until I got a decent GPS I almost never drove my car anywhere but to and from work due to the anxiety of going anywhere unfamiliar. If I needed to go anywhere else I took the train. Lucky for me I live in Tokyo where the train system can take you just about anywhere you need to go. But now with my GPS I feel a freedom that I never had. It completely changed my life. Even if I have to go somewhere completely new to me, I don't worry about it, I just hop in my car and turn on my GPS. No amount of therapy, medication, or training will ever be able to fix or problem but technology can give us the capability that everyone else has been born with. And I think that eventually they will be able to identify this problem with a brain scan at birth and implant a GPS chip in our brains that will make sure that no one will have to grow up with this serious affliction like we all had to learn how to accept and cope with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:15:13 PM PDT
Real217 says:
I really dont get the "learning" how to use a GPS thing, all you do is plug in directions, and let the computer do its work. Am i missing something here?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:53:37 PM PDT
Jessica says:
Are you rude on purpose or by accident?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:48:44 PM PDT
I'm not sure how to take this question.

Posted on May 21, 2012 12:41:48 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
I hav an old handheld GPS that took me awhile to learn to use. I don't have a GPS that everyone now uses in their car. I was told that there's a K factor that tells us if GPS signals are bad and unusable. It can be found on weather websites. I need to look into it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 5:01:18 PM PDT
Alright, lets be specific which GPS's are the best. I have a Garmin...oh, I should know the number....It's helpful in being able to pick a male/female voice, which accent, volume, night or day driving and the movement of the car in relation to the map is really good. But, for example, there's one part of our Interstate where it tells you to turn left to go to Milwaukee. Except the left turn is a lane shooting off the the north and away from Milwaukee. And just going home, it demands I turn left, right, left, right instead of the more direct left and then right. Recalculating...recalculating...recalculating

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:40:15 PM PDT
blueskies says:
Not all roads are uploaded to Satellite either. Sometimes, the GPS will run you right into a dead end, or a lake. They are not infalliable. Also, you can lose satellite signal, which happens a lot in the Pacific Northwest, btw. So, it is good to have a back up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:55:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 9:57:10 PM PDT
Real217 says:
Listen, its not that GPS's are infallible, the only problem they have sometimes is loosing satellite connection or, when there's really tall buildings/sky scrapers (i work in boston, this happens to me sometiems), it looses direction and gets satellite connections intermittently and when its doing this it keeps recalculating, giving you multiple routes to the same location. But its not wrong, its just adjusting. (if you stopped still, you'd get a route you can use).

Here is the thing, people dont update their GPS, YOU ARE SUPPOSED to update your GPS maps often, (NO, its not a gimmick, this is important), roads are built, businesses move and stuff like that, "one ways" are created, if you dont update your GPS, then you run the risk of getting false directions, its not the GPS's fault, its running on an old map software. I always have to update my garmin at least twice a year. If you are using a GPs thats 2 yrs old and havent ever updated, you are taking a risk of driving into an abandoned car lot that used to have BANK of AMerica lol (happened to me and i got a lifetime update thing on my Garmin).

And people, use your brain, when the GPS is taking you to a one way and you can see its a one way, dont act like some miracle road will appear when you get there...

Posted on May 25, 2012 7:41:23 AM PDT
blueskies says:
Good to know. How do you update? I have no quarrel with my Garmin aka Susan. I think they are a gift for people like me. Google maps is another gift, and they are not always infallible either. But I am grateful for both.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:42:30 AM PDT
Real (pompous) 217 says:
"And people, use your brain"

Maybe a GPS address to a Public Speaking
& Human Relation's Seminar,
Should be typed in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:10:13 PM PDT
Real217 says:
I'm sorry did i offend you? Jump off a speeding train.

I'm not here to make friends, please you or satisfy your own stupid requirements for decorum. I'm here to offer my opinion and also see people's opinions. Dont like it, spend more time at the gym. smh.

Go to Garmin website, plug in your GPS with a usb cord, and follow the instructions, be prepared to spend a few $$

Posted on May 25, 2012 11:40:06 PM PDT
O. Denisova says:
Enable your GPS navigation in your launching pad. LMFAO im just trolling....sounds like insecurities to me bro

Posted on May 26, 2012 1:06:55 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:
I'm sure GPS has its place even with people that can find their way around. I'm 'old school' with my maps and such.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 5:41:15 AM PDT

Nah,....Just don't tolerate narrow minded
faux superiority.

Most of these people have a physical
anomaly, Not a psychological one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 8:12:04 AM PDT
Real217 says:
I dont tolerate over sensitivity and an inferiority complex.

If you want someone to feed you, turn into a baby.

Posted on May 27, 2012 4:07:37 AM PDT
Treehugger© says:

Nah,....Just don't tolerate narrow minded
faux superiority.

TH: who are you talking about?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 8:38:34 AM PDT
Who was I posting with?

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:33:24 AM PDT
blueskies says:
Some of the posters are losing direction on the thread!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Health forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Health forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  346
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions